Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-06-17-WCCW] Harley Race vs Kevin Von Erich

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Harley Race vs Kevin Von Erich - WCCW 6/17/83

Going into the 80s rewatch, this was my pick for Harley's greatest match and still feel that way. If only Harley would only wrestle Von Erichs in Texas! I think the fact that Von Erichs constantly fight back forces a lot of Harley's bad tendencies out of him. Kevin is such an unusual wrestler. I really cant think of anyone like him. My number one issue with him is that he just doesn't sell. He sells his ass off well rather his arm off here. You combine Kevin's "think shoot, but work" mentality with amazing selling you have a recipe for success. Harley keeps his bad bumping (that bump off the atomic drop is a great example of bad bumping) and his spot-throwing to a minimum instead he focuses on the arm. In the early going, Kevin is working his ass off to win the match. We get a ton of nearfalls around the crossbody, sleeper, throwing over the top rope (legal in this match) and the Claw! Mercer does a great job documenting this onslaught and that Kevin is primed to win. Harley is pretty decent at taking all this. They establish going over the top is legal because it has been a way for the champion to get out of having the title switch hands in Texas. Kevin has been using a lot of Irish Whips to either set that up or his body scissors, which does not always look great. I am pretty sure that the transition spot should have been Kevin going over the top and taking the bump to the floor on his shoulder for maximum effect, but instead went through middle rope, not a huge deal. Kevin is amazing selling the arm and Harley to his credit never relents. Kevin shows he cant do the Irish Whip, which was his staple move of the match. He then varies his offense with dropkick and a bodyscissor to avoid using the arm. I love that shit! He puts his hand down his pants to sort of create a natural sling. It is a bit weird, but I kinda like where his head is at there. Harley would punch the arm whenever in trouble as a cutoff and using a gnarly shouldebreaker. He came off the top and its the Claw with the good arm, but without the other arm to support it, Harley is able to throw him to the floor on his bad arm! Awesome drama. Harley is not letting him come back in so David comes out and to tell his brother to quit before career-altering damage is down. Harley kicks David in the head and he bumrushes the ring and hits a high knee on Harley to trigger the DQ.

Easy way to protect Kevin, sell the next match Harley/David for the next big event. I pretty much loved everything up until the finish. I think a countout victory for Harley would have been fine. One of the all time great Kevin performances and the best Harley match in my book. ****1/2

• 1 year later...

Yeah, he really sold that damaged arm. Great performance from Kevin. You know, the finish wasn't great as you said. However, I did enjoy the angle after it happened. David standing over Race yelling "you couldn't beat him with one arm! You hear me! one arm! If I can't beat you then I'll quit wrestling!" Pretty great angle.

• GSR changed the title to [1983-06-17-WCCW] Harley Race vs Kevin Von Erich
  • 1 year later...

Throwing your opponent over the top rope is legal here. If Race is disqualified he loses the belt. Harley Race looks like such a boss as he makes his entrance. Kevin has some early success and the crowd goes wild. I love the energy Kevin von Erich puts into everything he does. Race sells a lot for Kevin. The champion manages to turn the tables when he throws Kevin through the ropes. Kevin bounces off a table and hits the floor, injuring his arm. When he gets back in the ring he does his best to make a comeback but he keeps going back to the injured arm and Race begins to target it. Kevin decides to put the hand of his injured left arm down his tights in a kind of make-shift sling which looks a bit strange. One armed Kevin sells great here and makes a series of fiery comebacks but Race keeps cutting him off. As Race comes off the turnbuckle Kevin catches him in the Iron Claw with his good arm but Race is able to escape, throwing Kevin through the ropes onto his bad arm once again. Then David von Erich comes out and tries to get his brother to call it quits and live to fight another day but he's not having any of it. Harley kicks David in the head and David fights back, causing the DQ. David shouts "you couldn't even beat Kevin with one arm!" and says he's next, promising to quit wrestling if he can't beat Harley. Really hot match with a great performance from Kevin.

• 10 months later...

Race moves with grace for such a surly heavyweight. Kevin continues to impress me with his almost ballet-like athleticism, landing his twisting body press for an early near-fall. Kevin's made to look dominate during the first part of this match. Throwing your opponent over the top rope is legal here, and both guys take advantage of the rule. Race chucks Kevin out onto the table and it's damages his arm, which Race starts working over. Kevin is excellent at selling his injury. David Von Erich runs down to check on his brother, but Race kicks him and it causes David to run in and cost his brother the match. Those Von Erich are made to look pretty dumb, but the crowd eat up everything they do. ★★★½