Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-09-12-Houston Wrestling] Les Thornton vs Don Diamond

shoe

I really loved this match.They meshed the British style with the southern style seamlessly. Thornton brought this real rugged technical style that really generated heat with the crowd. Diamond sold really well.When Diamond was on offense he didn't look smooth, but it was focused. I loved the finish to the 3rd fall, and it was a match that made both guys. Watching Thornton work over Diamond was a real joy. 4*

• 2 months later...

Interesting to watch a US junior title match from 1980. And this wasn't a workrate match at all. I know Thornton had a kickass match with Terry Rudge in england, and while he was working a more generic style here, he carried it along nicely. I assume Don Diamond is some green boy (green enough to not know how to apply a figure 4) and Thornton just beat him like a dog. Thornton has a really great european uppercut, forearms him in the face while in a chinlock, knees to the face, and punch to the throat. I dug Diamond's selling as his body went limp everytime Thornton hit him. Thornton was stealing falls and folks got really riled up and into the match. Really entertaining stuff, maybe borderline listworthy if it weren't for some overly showy leg selling with no consequence in the 2nd fall.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1980-09-12-Houston Wrestling] Les Thornton vs Don Diamond