Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-05-29-NWA-The Night of Champions] Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat - MACW Night of Champions 5/29/84

Flair had just regained the World's Heavyweight Championship from Kerry Von Erich in Japan a week ago, but there is no rest for the wicked. He was in Meadowlands here defending against his arch-nemesis, Ricky Steamboat. I understand why people may hold up Garvin or a Windham as Flair's greatest opponent, but when it comes down to it, it has gotta be Steamboat. He may be the best all-around performer in wrestling history.

In The First Twenty Minutes: You see power in the form of the press slam. Speed in the form of dropkicks. Physicality in the form of chops. Ability to work the mat & holds in the form amateur rides and side headlocks. Finally you get the most important piece his selling. In no other wrestler did Flair have the chance to exploit all these different attributes. The beginning is very similar to the Terry Taylor matches, but a bit more truncated. Flair gets shown up on the mat. LIGHTS OUT IN THE IMPACT ZONE! LOOK! IT IS STING UP IN THE RAFTERS! Sorry when they lost lights at the Meadowlands, I was having flashbacks. Steamboat hits a nice pair of dropkicks. Steamboat works a strong side headlock and front chancery. Flair tries all his usual tricks. When he tries to crowd in the corner, Steamboat shows he will not be bullied and unloads the heavy artillery. When Flair tries to create movement, he eats a press slam. Steamboat is on that head. Until Flair finally gets what he wants Steamboat on a criss cross overshoots and Flair hotshots him. Flair goes to school. Big Boy Suplex! Ab Stretch. It does not last long as Steamboat grabs a sleeper. Definitely interested to see if Flair can get some more offense. This does not feel as heated as the Taylor match or as fleshed out at the Boogie Jam match. Lets see what happens.

Last Ten Minutes Or So: What separates Flair/Steamboat from any other Flair match is the pacing. It is absolutely electric without ever devolving into a spotfest. It is because they are constantly selling the exhaustion of keeping up with one any another, but they are pushing one another to be even better and go faster. Steamboat was on fire in this portion of the match with 8 million nearfalls coming from all angles small packages, sleepers, crossbody, figure-4s. There is no better at selling the discombobulation of all this than the Nature Boy. On top of that, what connected this all together was how they deliver heavy blows to one another and each man would have to overcome those blows to deliver their move. With five minutes, left Steamboat has Flair trapped in a figure-4 after he caught Flair in the knee drop. Steamboat wants to stay on the leg, but there is an incredible moment. Flair really yanks the hair and Steamboat is pissed and gets on top of him and reigns down blows. Steamer lets him up and Flair throws a wild chop and Steamer keeps kicking ass. It was just a fight! That's what I love about these two. Flair takes a shortcut low and in the criss cross Steamboat misses a dropkick. It is so fast-paced, but it all makes sense and never feels like my turn, your turn. Flair gets a backbreaker for two. He thinks this is a good time to go to the top, but he ends up going flying. Steamboat hits a big chop to the head and then another press slam. Flying bodypress, but Flair gets foot on the ropes and Steamboat is pissed! He takes it out on Flair's chest with stinging chops. O'Connor Roll, but Flair reverses and yanks the tights for the win.

The first twenty minutes is pretty standard shine for a Flair opponent, but it is the last ten minutes that sets this match a part. The pace is insane and it is just so exciting. I love the fire when Steamboat was getting his hair pulled or when Flair gets his foot on the ropes on the bodypress. Steamoat put him through hell. You really believe in that finish. Steamboat lights up Flair. Flair cheating to win is always a classic. I think I would have Boogie Jam slightly ahead of this. This match just did not feel as fleshed out as the great Flair matches, more of a Greatest Hits, Summer Blockbuster. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1984-05-29-NWA-The Night of Champions] Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat