fxnj

Gus Sonnenberg (c) vs Joe Malcewicz
AWA World Heavyweight Championship
March 15, 1929
"Sonnenberg versus Malcewicz"

http://mirc.sc.edu/islandora/object/usc%3A19666

Related

----------

Great to see these guys actually working holds instead of just the all-action highlights you usually get with matches from this era. I remember reading the thing that spurred on the creation of the modern working style wasn't the slow mat-work but audiences not liking the standing Greco-Roman stuff. If that's true, this match gives a nice call back to those days with them putting a lot more time and struggle in the collar-and-elbow tie-ups than we're used to seeing, and I loved that as someone who hates seeing guys treating those tie-ups as a mere formality. The mat stuff also looks cool and shooty with guys looking for submissions. Feels like a proto-shoot style match, just without the strikes.

This match had some good heat going on. I guess the footage must have been not in a chronological order, or else it wouldn't make that much sense. These two running takedows with the trainers coming on ant the ref trying to keep everything together were great, although it seemed as it was near the end of the match, but that's hard to decide for me.

Time went by really quickly watching this and it was quite enjoyable, although, again, the footage seemed pretty much all over the place, chronologically speaking.

• GSR changed the title to [1929-03-15-Boston, MA] Gus Sonnenberg vs Joe Malcewicz
  • 3 years later...