Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-06-02-NWA TNA] Jeff Jarrett vs Raven vs A.J. Styles vs Chris Harris vs Ron Killings

El-P

Jeff Jarrett vs Raven vs AJ Styles vs Chris Harris vs Ron Killings (King of the Mountain match for the NWA Title)

TNA, the company with the idiotic concepts. Well, at least they try. On paper, it looks like a gigantic clusterfuck. In actuality, it was a spectacular clusterfuck, in the best sense of the word. I have no idea how they managed to make it work, as it's basically a deathmatch, a penalty box match, a falls count anywhere match and an inverted ladder match all in one. And yet, they did. Jarrett, Raven & Styles particulary shine here, although Harris brings goods to the table and Killings, the token NWA champ for a week (despite not being anywhere close to the other four in term of standing to me, not to mention work) does his share. The way they use the penalty box is quite interesting, with people inside either putting together an alliance (Raven & Jeff) while in other case it gets into a mini cage fight. Tons of insane spots, but since the goal is first to get a pinfall, then to climb the ladder once you're allowed too, there's a sense of purpose and urgency and several differents goals at the same time in a limited space, and it works quite well (as opposed to all those overrated ladder matches or Money in the Bank match where you get insane spots for no reason with people not even trying to get the prize). It really shouldn't be as good as it is, the only real drawback to me is that they had to work really quick pinfalls, which, between main-eventers, gets a bit transparent, Survivor Series style. Apart from that, very strong effort from all involved and a spectacular and fun gimmick match. Jarrett wins thanks to the guitar, but at this point, it's kinda expected and almost comical (Jarrett looked good in the match, so no criticism).

(Russo did one screwy intervention not wanting to give Jarrett the belt after he got a pinfall, but apart from that was pretty much irrelevant to the match)

(no idea who is that slutty girl showing up at the end, Tenay saying he hadn't seen her in years)

Glad to have discovered this is where the reviews have continued! Never been in this section before. I too enjoyed the original KOTM match a lot.

I love the rise of Chris Harris at the time and thought for sure he was a future world champion. Was a huge fan of the other matches you reviewed as well with Harris against Jarrett and then Raven, the road to the cage was good stuff. I hated when Harris didn't get his shot and then of course never won the title at any point later on.

Haven't seen since it aired but the upcoming week 6/9/04's AJ Styles vs Frankie Kazarian match was one of my all time favorites from back then, aside from the execution of the finish.

• GSR changed the title to [2004-06-02-NWA TNA] Jeff Jarrett vs Raven vs A.J. Styles vs Chris Harris vs Ron Killings