Pro Wrestling Only

[2010-04-29-Kana Pro] Katsumi Usuda & Hikaru Sato vs Kengo Mashimo & Yujiro Yamamoto

Superstar Sleeze

Usuda & Hikaru Sato vs Mashimo & Yamamoto - Kana Produce 4/29/10

You know you are a diehard pro wrestling fan when you can put on an indy Japanese shoot style match from 2010 where you know none of the competitors and enjoy the hell out of it. I had literally no clue who was who in this match. All I knew is it finished 10th in Ditch's poll for 2010, which was dominated by shoot-style. This was promoted by Kana, now Asuka in NXT and not by FUTEN which was surging in 2010. It is done in the BattlArts style, which means a little more pro wrestling-y, but usual shoot style rules about pinfalls don't matter and need to win by KO or submission.

Reading Ditch's blurb (come back Ditch, we miss you!), Usuda is the older dude in gray and orange that loves headbutts and Yamamoto is a jabroni in green. They are the main characters in this tag. Mashimo looked cool with pants and long hair, but sort of took a backseat to Yamamoto. Even not knowing who was who I got the feeling Yamamoto was lower on the totem pole given how Sato won the early round of grappling. Though Yamamoto did get a heel hook to force a tag out. Mashimo clearly the largest of the four threw Usuda down, but made the mistake of trying to win a headbutt war with him and tagged in Yamamoto. Yamamoto proceeded to get his ass kicked. Great heat segment on the arm. Really cool shoot style shit. He eventually slapped the piss out of Sato to tag out. The finish stretch was great with Usuda (who I think I watched a match of once) against Yamamoto. He hit this gnarly headbutt and then kicked Yamamoto right in the face. Sometimes as wrestling fans we say so and so kicked him right in the face, but it was worked in a safe way. Usuda KICKED Yamamoto RIGHT IN THE FACE! LIKE WOW! Yamamoto caught one of Usuda's kicks to the head and actually converted into a heel hook. Yamamoto actually started to build momentum catching these kicks into heel hooks. Submissions in a shoot style tag leave you open to interference which happens liberally. On the last one Usuda converts to a cross armbreaker on Yamamoto's hurt arm, but Mashimo saves. As they grappling, Usuda kicks Yamamoto in the head and gets an arm triangle to win.

Usuda uses T-Rex's 20th Century Boy as his theme song. Buh bye Maxel Hardy, new Sleeze favorite! We need more shoot style in this world. Great match. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2010-04-29-Kana Pro] Katsumi Usuda & Hikaru Sato vs Kengo Mashimo & Yujiro Yamamoto