Pro Wrestling Only

Your most "Against The Grain" opinion on wrestling

JaymeFuture

Thanks Matt I appreciate your comment. I'm actually looking forward to going back and checking it out again. I'm thinking i'll go to youtube first and see if I can find angles/promos of the feud to give me some context before I watch.

If you have the Network, the 1985 episodes of World Championship Wrestling they have provide at least the immediate context in the weeks leading up to the match.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Matt I appreciate your comment. I'm actually looking forward to going back and checking it out again. I'm thinking i'll go to youtube first and see if I can find angles/promos of the feud to give me some context before I watch.

If you have the Network, the 1985 episodes of World Championship Wrestling they have provide at least the immediate context in the weeks leading up to the match.

Thanks Migs. It's been so long since I watched anything on the network, that i'd forgotten what was available. I'll be sure to check those episodes out.

Tully Blanchard Vs Magnum TA I quit is a good match but not great.

I haven't seen it in ages, but yeah, that's what it seemed to be the last time I watched it. Wasn't blown away at all.

Probably second best of its kind off the top of my head, but yes, definitely a gimmick that's limited. Love the match, but will take in in a different direction -- I think Dusty vs. Flair is the best match from Starrcade '85.

I understand wanting to take the talk in a different direction but I thought i'd post my thoughts after saying I would yesterday.

I watched Magnum and Tully today. I felt that I should after it was rightly pointed out to me that I needed to expand on my original one sentence. I enjoyed the match a bit more than the last time but I still didn’t see the 5 star classic that many do. What I saw was a decent brawl. I certainly didn’t feel the hatred and intensity that I get from watching Flair vs Funk.

Speaking of that match, I decided to watch it today as well and compare the two. I felt that if I could pin point why I liked one, it would help me to explain why i’m not so fond of the other.

I should say too that i’ve never been a great fan brawls as I find that they can be a bit one dimensional. I always appreciate it when wrestlers get away from the punch fests and be a bit more creative . I felt that Clash match succeeded with this and the Starcade match didn't so much. Magnum-Tully was mostly punching and whacking each other with microphone with the occasional slam into the cage. It all got a bit samey after a while. There was more going on in the other match. Flair used the knee drop, suplex and figure four. He was able to bring these moves into this intense war in a way that felt very organic to me.
I felt that Magnum and Tully were actually restricted by the cage. They were confined to the ring whereas flair and Funk fought around ringside and in the aisle. It made things more varied and interesting.

Then there’s the usual moment pointed out by NintendoLogic:

SAY IT

NOOOOO

SAY IT

THUNK

I admit to chuckling when it first happened in Magnum Tully. That probably says more about me than the moment but i’m really sick of that spot. I guess it was fresher in 1985 but i’ve just seen in too many times. Flair and Funk had this too of course but again, I felt they were more creative with it. Instead of the guttural yelling from Tully Blanchard, Terry Funk insults Flair by calling him an egg sucking dog and taunts him before hitting the piledriver. This brought something extra to the familiar pattern and a proper intensity lacking in the Starcade match for me.

I was also disappointed not to see the slingshot suplex. I’ve never been a major Blanchard fan but I’ve always loved that move. I think the fact that couldn’t use it is the main reason i’m prejudiced against the match :D . Damn the cage!!!

To end on a positive note, I thought the ending was strong. the wooden spike looked nasty! I actually felt a bit sorry for Tully by the end and The look on Magnum's face after the match was the most intense moment in the whole thing.

Andrew

I'd throw Nia into the mix as well. She worked some real solid matches against Asuka and Bayley this year. Having her destroy everything in sight, and building up to a Bayley match on the MR is money. Sasha and Bayley could headline a show if they bothered to book the angle properly where you have Sasha drop the belt to Nia, Bayley take the belt off Nia, then Sasha gets jealous and turns heel. That's a money feud they should be able to get several big matches out of(if they don't give them away on Raw).

Apparently thinking the WWE could be headlining ppvs or WrestleMania's with women if they actually tried.

The talent is there with Bayley, Sasha, Charlotte, Becky, and Asuka that it could be done.

Especially with the brand split, absolutely. Sasha-Charlotte had the most heat of any Raw match at Summerslam.

Here is one for me: At this point in time a guy like The Miz is a far more valuable commodity to a wrestling promotion than someone like Cesaro. In 2016 "dude who can have good matches" is not exactly a rare commodity. The quantity of good wrestling matches that are easily available to view has probably never been higher. But there are very few guys in wrestling who can consistently get heel heat, cut good promos, play an interesting character and perform well in angles.