Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-04-17-WCW-Spring Stampede] Steven Regal vs Brian Pillman

Superstar Sleeze

The first two minutes of this is incredible and I was so confused why no one talked about this match. Then Regal just ground the match to a halt with aimless holds. Pillmans selling was not great. There was just no drama and no ficus. Pillman was great on offense. He was blasting Regal. I loved him meeting Regal on his knees with a wicked slap and then attacking arm. The hope spies were wicked chops. Then regal would grind the match down again. The finish stretch was ok but Pillman didn't really get a chance to pour it on. It goes to a 15 minutes draw. I get it. Regal is milking the clock and grounding Pillman but it was boring. Pillman was great. Disappointing match.

I actually really enjoyed this one. Here's what I wrote on my blog...

"Pillman [back] as a babyface is weird to watch after he had so convincingly played the villain as part of the Hollywood Blondes...Pillman looks motivated to keep up with Regal’s energy, stiffness, and execution. Unfortunately, around minute 5 or 6, it becomes noticeable that Heenan’s headset isn’t working and Tony Schiavone has to fly solo for an awkward stretch, hurting the presentation of what is an otherwise very good match, especially if you’re a fan of watching Regal stretch a dude out with a variety of submissions. In fact, this is possibly Regal’s most impressive PPV bout yet and certainly Pillman’s best PPV [singles] match since 92’. There’s an awkward miscommunication in the final third, but at least it leads to a nicely-executed “Regal Roll” (as Tony calls it). I’m not a huge fan of the finish, but in terms of quality wrestling, everything but the last 5 seconds is marvelous. (4/5)"

I'm willing to admit that I reviewed this within the first couple months of getting the Network and going on a WCW binge after years of not having watching anything other than WWE or WWE-made DVDs, so I tended to rate many matches considerably higher than I might today.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-04-17-WCW-Spring Stampede] Steven Regal vs Brian Pillman
  • 1 year later...

They start strong with Regal using his technical tricks to cut off Pillman. The start is definitely the strongest part of the match.  I thought Regal carried this as Pillman appeared quite sloppy and blows a few spots. They go for a broadway and you can tell at times that they filling time when Regal constantly keeps Pillman grounded with submissions. I'd usually find this annoying, but Regal is a master at keep basic holds interesting. Regal doing the small Regal things brings this from being an average match to a good match. 

★★★