Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-12-23-Monterrey] El Hijo del Santo vs La Parka

Microstatistics

• 3 months later...

Just watched this. I thought it was quite a fun match. You know when Park has the all white on against Santo we are going to get a lot of blood. The highlight is Park's control through the middle. The early start for Santo is solid, but the first pin comes a little too fast for my taste. The second fall felt a little more complete. Park had to work for it and they were all in on bloody brawl by this point. The final fall was good, but didn't quite hit the level of drama and urgency that separates a good lucha brawl from a great lucha brawl. I didn't mind that they worked some wrestling and grappling into the brawl a little, but it didn't add much and it really could have. I wasn't a huge fan of the finish. I could have done with out the screwiness, but it was likely fine or even good in the context of the match at the time.

I also gave it ****1/4.

What promotion is this?

• GSR changed the title to [2001-12-23-Monterrey] El Hijo del Santo vs La Parka
  • 1 year later...

Jesus, this match. What a bloodbath. I'm surprised they put this much effort into a mano a mano. You'd think it was an apuestas match with the amount of blood they shed and how long they went. This has to be the best mano a mano we have on tape. I can't think of another one that's a full match like this. It's Monterrey so of course it has a screwy finish, and of course it involves the referees, but there was NO WAY that either of these guys were getting a decisive pinfall or submission. Parka vs. Santo? Are you kidding me? This is definitely on the shortlist for lucha MOTY, and it's pushed Santo to the forefront of the wrestler of the year race.