Pro Wrestling Only

Between the Sheets #57 (August 17-23, 1993)

KrisZ

bts57.jpg

Kris & David are guestless this week discussing the week that was August 17-23, 1993. We talk about Jim Herd meeting with the Justice Department regarding WWF, the Lex Express rolling on, Terry Gordy having a serious health issue, SMW’s First Ever Fan Week, Vince McMahon comes to Memphis, and the debut of the Shockmaster. This is a loaded show so listen!!!!!

0:00:00 WWF
0:44:39 Japan (AJPW, NJPW, FMW, Michinoku Pro, RINGS, SPWF, AJW) & CWA
1:18:51 The Amazon Game
1:46:41 Other North America: WFWA, EMLL, & UWA
2:04:09 Eastern USA: ECW, SMW, & USWA
3:00:01 Texas & Potpourri
3:32:06 WCW

The PWO-PTBN Podcast Network features great shows you can find right here at Place to Be Nation. By subscribing on iTunes or SoundCloud, you’ll have access to new episodes, bonus content, as well as a complete archive of all shows on the Network!

For more on the great family of podcasts at Place to Be Nation, click here.

http://placetobenation.com/between-the-sheets-57-august-17-23-1993/

I've heard stories of Herd and WCW wanting to go after the WWF's best workers in late '89, and maybe even running a weekly live show. Names that were connected to the story were Bret, the Rockers, and Ted DiBiase. Naturally I can't actually source any of this.

Edit: And all of the Money Inc.-Steiners matches were good.

massively hyped for this show, only got about 20 minutes in. I'm sure you'll keep delivering, as always.

edit: Where did Luger admit that he was still doing steroids in WWF around SummerSlam 1993? His book?

I watched a kayfabe commentaries timeline of WWF 1993, and I think he claimed he wasn't taking steroids then and talked a lot about how intense the drug testing was so his attitude was that because he was so much more naturally gifted than anybody else, he wasn't insecure about not taking them since if nobody was on steroids he'd still be the stand out physique .

massively hyped for this show, only got about 20 minutes in. I'm sure you'll keep delivering, as always.

edit: Where did Luger admit that he was still doing steroids in WWF around SummerSlam 1993? His book?

I watched a kayfabe commentaries timeline of WWF 1993, and I think he claimed he wasn't taking steroids then and talked a lot about how intense the drug testing was so his attitude was that because he was so much more naturally gifted than anybody else, he wasn't insecure about not taking them since if nobody was on steroids he'd still be the stand out physique .

During one of his post-Benoit media appearances, Luger said he was on the gas the whole time he was in the WWF. Which isn't exactly surprising now that we know Warrior tested positive in all of his 1992 tests and wasn't punished.

During one of his post-Benoit media appearances, Luger said he was on the gas the whole time he was in the WWF. Which isn't exactly surprising now that we know Warrior tested positive in all of his 1992 tests and wasn't punished.

Thanks!

Finished the episode earlier this morning. Great stuff. On the Shockmaster reactions tip, I'm glad you both pointed Sid is the one who "saved" this and got the segment back on track, albeit in a a very Sid yelling way. Also, if you listen very carefully, Davey isn't the only one who curses on live TV. It sounds like either Stevie Ray or Booker T says "look at this, motherfucker." Harlem Heat and live TV in WCW, a sometimes not kid friendly combination ya'll. :D

(around 3:46)

edit: also a great reminder that Bischoff didn't even get to executive VP until 2/3rds of the way into 1993, which for some reason I always have trouble remembering, maybe since WCW from the Turner purchase until Bischoff ascendancy is just such a merri-go-round cluster. I may need to go back listening to some past BTS 1994 shows, but I think Bischoff doesn't really become the full WCW de facto head honcho until that year, since Bill Shaw doesn't get the axe until then?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if you were joking or not, but I've long thought that Stan Lane was a guy they should have spoken to about that Horseman spot in 1993. He was just finishing up with Smoky Mountain around Slamboree time, had the right look for a Horseman and would have made a really good partner for Arn.

Perhaps he wouldn't have been up for it though because he was pretty much finished as a wrestler at this point. I'm not sure I ever knew why Lane quit at this time actually. I don't think he was injured. Had he just gotten bored of it?