Pro Wrestling Only

New Japan Pro Wrestling Thread

SirEdger

August 24th, 1995

It was a very exciting day for staff members of NJPW as Antonio Inoki announced the September 2nd card in Osaka, Japan, which will mark the return of Hulk Hogan to New Japan Pro Wrestling. We already know that Hogan has been entered in the G1 Climax tournament and that he'll be part of Block B. In Osaka on September 2, fans will have a little preview of the G1 Climax as Hogan will take on Yuji Nagata, also part of Block B, in the main event of the show. Both Hogan and Nagata were present at the press conference and Hogan didn't lie that despite all his experience, he felt a bit nervous for his NJPW return.

"Yeah, man, if I told anyone that I wasn't a bit apprehensive, I would lie. I haven't worked here in several years and the talent pool over here is really good. I felt honored that Antonio Inoki offered me this opportunity to return here in New Japan and I'm hoping to become the IWGP Heavyweight Champion down the line. But my first step is winning the G1 Climax."

As for his opponent Yuji Nagata, Hogan had nothing but good words about him.

"When it comes down to it, brother, everyone is deserving to be on that roster. Nagata is one hard-hitting dude and I can't wait to wrestle him on September 2 and in the G1 Climax. This day cannot come any sooner, brother!"

Yuji Nagata himself stated that he has a chip on his shoulder, heading into this match - and G1 Climax as well.

"I'm fully aware that people don't expect me to beat Hogan on September 2 - or in the G1 Climax tournament, for that matter. Everyone believes that it's a foregone conclusion that he is winning the tournament and will wrestle Keiji Muto down the road. But I intend to prove everyone wrong. And this starts on September 2. I know I can beat Hulk Hogan. I just know it."

And speaking of the IWGP Heavyweight Champion, Hulk Hogan didn't wanna make too much noise about it, stating that he's focused on the task ahead before going after Keiji Mutoh - whom he could face in the finals since Muto headlines Block A.

"It's too soon to even talk about me working against Muto. Obviously, I'd like for that to happen but I can't get ahead of myself. It's been a long time since I've been here and I can't afford to look too far ahead, brother. So for now, I'm thinking about Nagata on September 2 and we'll see, going forward."

In regards to Block A, there's still one slot open to enter Block A and Inoki reiterated that the qualifying match is taking place on September 7 in Saitama. However, Inoki didn't want to press the issue as to who will be involved in this match.

"We're still weighing our options for who will be involved in this match but all I can say is that it's gonna be worth the wait for our incredible fans. This qualifying match alone will be worth the price of admission."

Here's now the final card for the September 2nd show in Osaka:

MAIN EVENT

Hulk Hogan vs Yuji Nagata

Road Warrior Hawk vs Manabu Nakanishi

2 Cold Scorpio vs Gran Hamada

Scott Norton vs Brutus Beefcake

Hiroshi Hase vs Tarzan Goto

Tatsuhito Takaiwa vs Maruyuki Naruse

August 25th, 1995

NJPW announced the card earlier today for the September 6 event in Gamagori, Aichi. The main event will feature a tag team match between the teams of Kengo Kimura & Riki Choshu vs Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan. Like Hogan, Riki Choshu is also in Block B for the G1 Climax Special tournament starting on September 16. Also in action for this card, IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion Koji Kanemoto, Jushin Thunder Liger as well as the debut of Johnny Ace.

Here's the final card for September 6th.

MAIN EVENT

Kengo Kimura & Riki Choshu vs Brutus Beefacke & Hulk Hogan

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion Koji Kanemoto & Jushin Thunder Liger vs Hiro Saito & Junji Hirata

Gran Hamada & 2 Cold Scorpio vs Tatsutoshi Goto & Michiyoshi Ohara

Tatsuhito Takaiwa & Hiroshi Hase vs Maunukea Mossman & Tarzan Goto

The debut of Johnny Ace vs Scott Norton

Shoji Nakamaki vs Manabu Nakanishi

Naohiro Hoshikawa vs Maruyuki Naruse

September 2nd, 1995

Osaka, Japan

-Tatsuhito Takaiwa defeated Maruyuki Naruse

-Hiroshi Hase defeated Tarzan Goto

-Scott Norton defeated Brutus Beefcake. This was Beefcake's debut match for New Japan

-Gran Hamada defeated 2 Cold Scorpio. After the match, Hamada took the mic and clearly stated that he was going after Koji Kanemoto's Junior Heavyweight Championship

-In the co-main event, Road Warrior Hawk defeated Manabu Nakanishi in a hard-hitting match.

-In the main event, Hulk Hogan made a triumphant return to New Japan by defeating Yuji Nagata with the Axe Bomber. Hogan took the mic at the end to thank the fans for the warm welcome and stated that he was in the G1 Climax Special to win it. IWGP Heavyweight Champion Keiji Muto, who was in attendance, came out and said that he'd have to go through him in the finals - if he ever gets there - and he isn't planning on dropping his championship anytime soon. Hogan and Muto still shook hands, in sign of mutual respect, and Muto walked away to let Hogan celebrate his return.

Next event: September 6 in Gamagori, Aichi

I like the subtle Japanese-style booking touch of how Hogan and Mutoh don't need to hate each other or have any specific beef in order to build anticipation for their fight. It's enough for now that we can see that the two legends are destined to meet in the ring.

I like the subtle Japanese-style booking touch of how Hogan and Mutoh don't need to hate each other or have any specific beef in order to build anticipation for their fight. It's enough for now that we can see that the two legends are destined to meet in the ring.

It is really good. I hope they somehow don't meet in the tournament to build even more anticipation.

September 6th, 1995

Gamagori, Aichi

-Masayuki Naruse beat Naohiro Hoshikawa

-Manabu Nakanishi beat Shoji Nakamaki

-Johnny Ace upsets Scott Norton in his debut match

-Maunukea Mossman & Tarzan Goto beat Tatsuhito Takaiwa & Hiroshi Hase

-Gran Hamada & 2 Cold Scorpio beat Tatsutoshi Goto & Michiyoshi Ohara

-Hiro Saito & Junji Hirata beat IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion Koji Kanemoto & Jushin Thunder Liger. There seemed to be some dissension between Kanemoto & Liger during the match

-In the main event, Kengo Kimura & Riki Choshu defeated Brutus Beefcake & Hulk Hogan when Choshu made Beefcake tap to the Sasori-gatame. After the match, Antonio Inoki came out to announce that first day of action for Block B in the G1 Climax Special will take place on September 17th at the Big Hat in Nagano and the main event will feature Riki Choshu vs Hulk Hogan! Choshu and Hogan shook hands in sign of respect and Hogan took time to pose for the Japanese audience to close the show.

Next event: September 7 in Saitama

September 7, 1995

Saitama

-In the opening of the show, Antonio Inoki announces that the qualifying match for the final spot in Block A will consist in a 6-Men Elimination Tag Team Match with the sole survivor taking that final spot. This match will feature Mitsuo Momota, Kensuke Sasaki & Hiroshi Hase vs Bret Hart, Davey Boy Smith & Tiger Mask IV! Should more than one member of a team remain, they will compete in a singles or gauntlet match with the winner advancing.

-Kentaro Shiga beat Shigeo Okumura

-Hiro Saito beat Michiyoshi Ohara

-Hiroyoshi Tenzan beat Naohiro Hoshikawa

6-Men Elimination Tag Team Match: Bret Hart, Davey Boy Smith & Tiger Mask IV beat Mitsuo Momota, Hiroshi Hase & Kensuke Sasaki with Bret Hart being the sole survivor to take the final spot in Block A

Order of elimination:

-Mitsuo Momota

-Tiger Mask IV

-Hiroshi Hase

-Davey Boy Smith

-Kensuke Sasaki

Next Show: September 8 (Kawasaki, Kanagawa)

September 8th, 1995

Kawasaki, Kanagawa

-Maunukea Mossman beat Tatsutoshi Goto

-Hiroshi Hase beat Tatsumi Fujinami

-Black Cat beat Michiyoshi Ohara

-Riki Choshu & Tiger Mask IV beat Mitsuo Momota & Road Warrior Hawk

-In the co-main, Kensuke Sasaki beat Kentaro Shiga

-In the main event, Hulk Hogan beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan. Hogan took the mic and thanked the audience for their warm welcome and says he's now ready for the debut of the G1 Climax Special next week. Hogan finishes up with a strong "HOGAN ICHIBAN" chant before posing for the crowd.

Next show: September 16th, G1 Climax Special Day 1 (Korakuen Hall, Tokyo)

September 16th, 1995

Korakuen Hall, Tokyo

G1 CLIMAX Special Day 1

-Tokimitzu Ishizawa beat 2 Cold Scorpio

4 Corners Match: Black Cat beat Tarzan Goto, Kentaro Shiga & Mitsuo Momota

-Tadao Yasuda & Satoshi Kojima beat Tatsumi Fujinami & Tatsuhito Takaiwa

-Masahiro Chono beat Hulk Hogan. The Japanese commentary team put over how Hogan doesn't seem to be invincible and how this could affect him tomorrow for his first Block B Match versus Riki Choshu

-Kengo Kimura & Brutus Beefcake beat Hiroshi Hase & Kensuke Sasaki

-Scott Norton & Tatsutoshi Goto beat Davey Boy Smith & Maunukea Mossman

-Michiyoshi Ohara beat Manabu Nakanishi

Block A: Hiroyoshi Tenzan beat Bret Hart

Block A: Road Warrior Hawk upsets IWGP Heavyweight Champion Keiji Mutoh in the very first match!!!

Block A Standings after Day 1

Road Warrior Hawk........2

Hiroyoshi Tenzan..........2

Keiji Mutoh....................0

Bret Hart.......................0

Next event: September 17th, 1995 - G1 CLIMAX Special Day 2 (Big Hat, Nagano)

September 17th, 1995

G1 CLIMAX Special, Day 2

Big Hat, Nagano

-Hiroshi Hase beat Satoshi Kojima

-Hawk Warrior beat Shigeo Okumura

-Bret Hart & Davey Boy Smith beat Kentaro Shiga & Tatsutoshi Goto

-Tatsumi Fujinami beat Tadao Yasuda

-Gran Hamada beat Shoji Nakamaki

IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship; Koji Kanemoto beat Tokimitzu Ishizawa to retain

-Masahiro Chono & IWGP Heavyweight Champion Keiji Muto beat Tatsuhito Takaiwa & Kensuke Sasaki

Block B: Hiro Saito beat Yuji Nagata

Block B: Hulk Hogan fight Riki Choshu to a time limit draw

Standings after Day 2

Block A

Road Warrior Hawk.........2

Keiji Muto....................0

Bret Hart.....................0

Block B

Hiro Saito...............2

Hulk Hogan............1

Riki Choshu............1

Yuji Nagata.............0

Next show: September 18th - G1 CLIMAX Special Day 3 (Kanazawa, Ishikawa)

September 18th, 1995

G1 CLIMAX Special, Day 3

Kanazawa, Ishikawa

-Kensuke Sasaki & Antonio Inoki beat Tarzan Goto & Shoji Nakamaki

-Scott Norton beat Satoshi Kojima

-Hiroshi Hase beat Naohiro Hoshikawa

-Davey Boy Smith beat Tatsutoshi Goto

-Jushin Thunder Liger beat Tiger Mask IV

Block A: IWGP Heavyweight Champion Keiji Muto beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Block B: Bret Hart beat Road Warrior Hawk

Standings after Day 3

Block A

Keiji Muto....................2

Bret Hart.....................2

Block B

Hiro Saito...............2

Hulk Hogan............1

Riki Choshu............1

Next show: September 20th - G1 CLIMAX Special, Day 4 (Sendai, Miyagi)

September 20th, 1995

G1 CLIMAX Special Day 4

Sendai, Miyagi

-IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion Koji Kanemoto beat Shoji Nakamaki

-Davey Boy Smith & Bret Hart beat Mitsuo Momota & Gran Hamada

-Brutus Beefcake beat Tatsutoshi Goto

Block B: Hulk Hogan beat Yuji Nagata

Block B: Riki Choshu beat Hiro Saito

Block A

Keiji Muto....................2

Block B

Hulk Hogan...............3

Riki Choshu............3

Hiro Saito...........2

Next show: September 21 - G1 CLIMAX Special Day 5 (Maebashi, Gunma)

September 21, 1995

G1 CLIMAX Special Day 5

Maebashi, Gunma

-IWGP Jr Heavyweight Champion Koji Kanemoto beat Shoji Nakamaki

-Davey Boy Smith & Jushin Thunder Liger beat Mitsuo Momota & Gran Hamada

-Brutus Beefcake beat Tatsutoshi Goto

-Rusher Kimura beat Johnny Ace

Block A: IWGP Champion Keiji Muto beat Bret Hart after spitting some mist in his face

Block A: Road Warrior Hawk beat Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Block A

Road Warrior Hawk.........4

Keiji Muto..........4

Hiroyoshi Tenzan....................2

Next show: September 22nd - G1 CLIMAX Special Day 6 (Nagoya, Aichi)