Joshi Stardom OZ Academy Pro Wrestling WAVE Ice Ribbon Sendai Girls

• Please log in to reply
210 replies to this topic

#201 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:20 PM

If they space the debuts apart enough they might. Kairi Sane is front and center with anything the WWE has done so far with the MYC. If Asuka moves up to the main roster in the fall they can move Sane over to NXT then probably introduce Io a few months later. The three of them act/work differently enough that you would think that the WWE would trust fans to be able to tell the three of them apart.

#202 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

If they space the debuts apart enough they might. Kairi Sane is front and center with anything the WWE has done so far with the MYC. If Asuka moves up to the main roster in the fall they can move Sane over to NXT then probably introduce Io a few months later. The three of them act/work differently enough that you would think that the WWE would trust fans to be able to tell the three of them apart.

Full confidence in the fans to handle both or all 3 of them.  Don't have quite the same confidence in the company to see things that way.

#203 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

More curious than anything. I'm shocked at how front and center Kairi Sane has been for the MYC. I wasn't expecting that. I don't think Asuka will do any better than Nakamura on the main roster, probably worse. I do think that Io's style will translate well to WWE. She's had a couple of really good short matches so far this year.

#204 JAC

JAC
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:36 AM

I've heard secondhand that Meltzer is reporting that Io Shirai was medically cleared to return to wrestling, but WWE rescinded their contract offer. This is presumably because of their aversion to signing wrestlers with neck and concussion issues. Hence her return to Stardom for the 5-star Grand Prix.

Selfishly, I'm happy that she'll be around to enjoy in Stardom. But it's lousy for her. While she'll have great matches in Japan, she's really accomplished everything imaginable in Stardom. There's nothing else to do with her there. To me, she deserves a shot at wrestling for a larger audience in WWE (even though I have zero confidence in their ability to use her properly). I'm curious to see whether the WWE makes a new offer next year if her health is good (which must be difficult given her incredibly physical style). I'm not giving up on my impossible dream of Io and Kairi main eventing a WWE PPV.

#205 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

Selfishly, I'm happy that she'll be around to enjoy in Stardom. But it's lousy for her. While she'll have great matches in Japan, she's really accomplished everything imaginable in Stardom. There's nothing else to do with her there. To me, she deserves a shot at wrestling for a larger audience in WWE (even though I have zero confidence in their ability to use her properly). I'm curious to see whether the WWE makes a new offer next year if her health is good (which must be difficult given her incredibly physical style). I'm not giving up on my impossible dream of Io and Kairi main eventing a WWE PPV.

Exactly.  She's absolutely one of my favorite wrestlers and I'm thrilled to see her in a position that likely takes full advantage of her work.  But it has to be a setback for her.  Here's hoping she is in fact and stays healthy.

#206 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

The lineup for Stardom's 5*GP:

Red Stars Block:
Mayu Iwatani
Yoko Bito
Hiromi Mimura
Kagetsu
Hana Kimura
Viper
Xia Brookside
Kris Wolf

Blue Stars Block:
Io Shirai
Jungle Kyona
HZK
Konami
Tora or Nakano*
Toni Storm
Kay Lee Ray
Mandy Leon
* Natsuko Tora and Tam Nakano will have a qualifying match on August 13.

While the Red Block will have good matches, I don't get why you would put the current champ in the same block as four of the women who have had title shots against her in the last two months. Viper vs. each Oedo Tai member should fun, as well as Oedo Tai facing off with each other, but other than that they are just recycling matchups they just did.

Even if you took Io out, the Blue Block looks really fun. You have the younger stars of Stardom (Kyona, HZK, Konami) and two of Stardom's best foreigners (Storm, KLR,) that alone creates a lot of interesting matchups. Putting Io in mix makes it even better. The only negative is that it makes it very unlikely that either Kyona or HZK get the push that both need to help establish them higher up the card.

#207 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7726 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

The lineup for Stardom's 5*GP:

I signed up for Stardom World like a week ago and have already watched every Kourakaen Hall main event, plus everything else that looked cool from 2017. I am loving this promotion, great characters and variety and awesome matches with logical booking. Subtitled promos and no announcing are other huge pluses.

Very pumped to follow this tournament along. Lots of fun potential matches, and it will be neat that the entire heel stable is all in one block. Going to be wild. Lots of different ways to go with booking, but I'm hoping for a Mayu vs Toni Storm finals.

#208 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

So, Io Shirai lost to ROH's Mandy Leon via submission.

Some people are upset but it sets up a major storyline for the tournament and establishes some unpredictability early on in the tournament. For the long term, Jungle Kyona losing to Toni Storm was a worse decision.

I hope Kris Wolf gets a WWE tryout for putting over Robbie Brookside's daughter.

#209 aguakun

aguakun
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

It seems the story of the match was Mandy targeting Io's injured/recovering neck. She wasn't 100%.

I think the idea of putting Mayu with wrestlers she has already beaten is that one of them will probably challenge for and win the White Belt.

#210 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:39 PM

Can't wait to catch up on Stardom when I get back from vacation and the 5*GP as it gets posted.  Very much agree that Storm over Jungle is more egregious booking than Shirai dropping a fall here.  The latter won't mean much and she can put over anyone at any time.  Hopefully she was able to carry Mandy to something solid.

#211 jushin muta liger

jushin muta liger
  • Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:59 PM

I'm on my phone typing this so I can't put spoiler tags but I'm intrigued by the person who the 5 Star GP tonight cause there are so many implications if she goes on to beat Mayu for the World of Stardom title.

Also, Sareee leaving Seadlinnng to go back to Diana is a head scratcher.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joshi, Stardom, OZ Academy, Pro Wrestling WAVE, Ice Ribbon, Sendai Girls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users