Joshi Stardom OZ Academy Pro Wrestling WAVE Ice Ribbon Sendai Girls

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#21 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

If the WWE is scouting talent in China for the tournament then they are more worried about international appeal than match quality. Besides, the talent level on the US/UK indy scene is a lot better then it was 10 or even 5 years ago. I don't see the need to freeze out those women just to slightly increase the chances of having a good match. Also, it's WWE, so you know looks are going to play a part in it. I would expect them to bring in a good, young, attractive, wrestler like Mika Iida or Maya Yukihi rather than say Ryo Mizunami, who's a great worker but doesn't fit the look they want in their women.

#22 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 10:01 PM

It's going to be interesting to see which joshi wrestlers the WWE brings in for their women's tournament. I don't expect them to bring in more than a few but it's interesting to think about when you start seeing some big names dropping titles. If you consider Asuka's connections plus Sarah Stock's past association with Stardom, (she had her last match their before going to the WWE to be a coach,) it's pretty open as to who they might bring in.

I saw the rumors on 2ch (which is a weird place btw) about Io Shirai going to WWE and the match with Yoko Bito is one to look out for. Also look out for Kaho Kobayashi as she's leaving Wave "overseas excursion". She's really good already and unless she's working in AAA, I would bet she would be in that tournament too. Not to parrot Joe Lanza but WWE needs to get as many wrestlers as they can from the Joshi scene in order for the tournament to look good.

Kairi Hojo has openly said in an interview (on Stardom World, no less) that she wants to go to WWE. It makes sense, given that she wrestles the closest to a WWE style out of everyone in that promotion. She wouldn't even have to change her spots.

#23 jushin muta liger

jushin muta liger
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:26 AM

It's going to be interesting to see which joshi wrestlers the WWE brings in for their women's tournament. I don't expect them to bring in more than a few but it's interesting to think about when you start seeing some big names dropping titles. If you consider Asuka's connections plus Sarah Stock's past association with Stardom, (she had her last match their before going to the WWE to be a coach,) it's pretty open as to who they might bring in.

I saw the rumors on 2ch (which is a weird place btw) about Io Shirai going to WWE and the match with Yoko Bito is one to look out for. Also look out for Kaho Kobayashi as she's leaving Wave "overseas excursion". She's really good already and unless she's working in AAA, I would bet she would be in that tournament too. Not to parrot Joe Lanza but WWE needs to get as many wrestlers as they can from the Joshi scene in order for the tournament to look good.
Kairi Hojo has openly said in an interview (on Stardom World, no less) that she wants to go to WWE. It makes sense, given that she wrestles the closest to a WWE style out of everyone in that promotion. She wouldn't even have to change her spots.

I did see that on Stardom World and I would be more than happy if Kairi went to WWE instead of Io. She's a great babyface, heart of the promotion and all of the foreign wrestlers seem to love her when they go to Stardom. (She was even wearing Tessa Blanchard's gear at the end of the last tour)

It's almost similar to the Nakamura situation in New Japan as Kairi won't get back to being the World Champ as long as Io and Yoko Bito are around. Kairi is almost 30 and the time for her to jump is now if she has an offer on the table.

#24 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

Hojo vs. Sasha Banks is a personal dream match but I'm not sure someone who has had two documented concussions in the last year would be able to pass a WWE medical.

Fyi, i figured out how to embed videos here so if you've had trouble finding any of the matches that I've reviewed then recheck the match discussion archive because they might be there.

#25 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

The Twisted Sisterz, holders of the esteemed NWA Western States Tag Team Championship, are going to Stardom with the belts. Should be interesting given that they were in Oedo Tai before, and Oedo Tai now hold the Stardom tag team belts.

#26 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 04:30 PM

Hojo vs. Sasha Banks is a personal dream match but I'm not sure someone who has had two documented concussions in the last year would be able to pass a WWE medical.

The Stardom office was trying to say that the piledriver from the apron wasn't what caused her last concussion, but it's hard to shake that feeling when you watch it.

#27 jushin muta liger

jushin muta liger
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:13 AM

The Stardom office was trying to say that the piledriver from the apron wasn't what caused her last concussion, but it's hard to shake that feeling when you watch it.

It's funny cause on the SamuraiTV version of the 5 Star GP, the showed that spot as one of the reasons why she was out.

#28 jushin muta liger

jushin muta liger
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:12 AM

The Sendai Girls show is basically a two match show cause they cut a lot from the undercard matches. I had the tag match at ***1/2 and the main event at ****. Hashimoto is still raw but she can hang in a main event. Scary spot towards the end of the match where Hashimoto did a German right on Meiko's head. The ref looked afraid as he was trying to stop her cause Meiko was holding her neck. He literally told her to stop and cover at one point.

#29 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:25 PM

I caught the last two matches. Didn't care for the tag match. To OZ Academy like with all of the weapon shots and listless brawling. I want to rewatch the main before I have a firm opinion on it, but on first watch it was fine for what it was. Hashimoto was good but still looked like a rookie. Satomura also relied on using no-selling as a transition a couple of times. Plus, the finish seemed a little too matter of fact, not really putting over how significant a win this was. It was like Hashimoto's win came a little too easy considering who she beat.

#30 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 05:38 PM

I thought this was an okay match, but given Hashimoto's other matches this doesn't live up to expectations for a meeting with Meiko.

Everything from the point where Hashimoto threw her first German was a bit off. She came off the ropes and it looked like she was talking to the ref and Meiko before going for a lame pin attempt. The final sequence with Meiko no-selling what looked like a really brutal German almost threw me out of the match.

#31 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 03:51 PM

The JK Green / Oedo Tai match in the tag tournament was really good.

#32 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 02:12 AM

The latest Observer says that Io Shirai is definitely going to WWE next year and Kairi Hojo is considering the offer, with the obvious question of whether she could pass a physical. Apparently the people trying to convince Kairi to stay are saying that WWE will always treat her second-class to Io, whereas if she stays she'll be the biggest star in Japan.

#33 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 03:44 AM

Io is a much better fit for the WWE than people think. Her English is getting better and she's great at carrying herself as a star.

At this point, Stardom is basically the women's Evolve. The number of Indie women who work both Stardom and NXT tapings close together is fairly notable.

#34 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 04:47 AM

Io is a much better fit for the WWE than people think. Her English is getting better and she's great at carrying herself as a star.

She also has a lot of experience as an ace getting matches out of people that they would otherwise have no business having. That will come in handy dealing with the high variance of experience levels amongst the women that go through NXT / WWE.

At this point, Stardom is basically the women's Evolve. The number of Indie women who work both Stardom and NXT tapings close together is fairly notable.

Who's next amongst the indie women who frequent Stardom to go to NXT full-time? It seems like if they wanted Santana Garrett by now, they would've taken her. Kay Lee Ray has the chops in the ring, but she doesn't have the look they want. Heidi Lovelace was at the last tryout, but I don't know if she was signed.

I'd really like to see Evie end up in WWE eventually, or at least go back to Stardom for a tour. And I would imagine that Toni Storm will end up there at some point after she's done with Stardom.

#35 Codysseus

Codysseus
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 05:45 AM

I signed up for Stardom World...what's a good place to start to get me hooked?

#36 jushin muta liger

jushin muta liger
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:15 AM

She also has a lot of experience as an ace getting matches out of people that they would otherwise have no business having. That will come in handy dealing with the high variance of experience levels amongst the women that go through NXT / WWE.

Who's next amongst the indie women who frequent Stardom to go to NXT full-time? It seems like if they wanted Santana Garrett by now, they would've taken her. Kay Lee Ray has the chops in the ring, but she doesn't have the look they want. Heidi Lovelace was at the last tryout, but I don't know if she was signed.

I'd really like to see Evie end up in WWE eventually, or at least go back to Stardom for a tour. And I would imagine that Toni Storm will end up there at some point after she's done with Stardom.

We probably see more Tessa Blanchard if she doesn't get picked up. Thea Trinidad is going on an upcoming tour and she did a TV match with Asuka.

#37 jushin muta liger

jushin muta liger
  • Members
  • 397 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:42 AM

I signed up for Stardom World...what's a good place to start to get me hooked?

Depends on what you like in your wrestling. Can't give a list of matches cause I'm at work but I guessing other people will chime in.

#38 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 09:49 PM

The women's tournament is a wild card in this. Who the WWE bring in for that, plus how they handle the aftermath will tell whether they have really changed in what they look for from women in-ring. It's a great chance to show off that women can do different stuff from what is shown on typical WWE TV. I had read that intergender was a big no-no with WWE, but then at the last tryout there was Heidi and Kimber Lee, who both made their name with intergender. Su Yung was there to and the only thing of note that she did in her first run in developmental was date Jerry Lawler. 

For Stardom recs, I'd start at the 'World of Stardom Championship History' page. That has Hojo's, Satomura's, and Io's title wins from last year. After that click on the Stardom tag under the title of this thread. That will have a bunch of matches that I've reviewed in the Match Discussion Archive but note that Stardom hasn't reupped many shows from February to May that were on the YouTube page.

Also, I guess 2ch is adding Hikaru Shida, Makoto, and Hiroyo Matsumoto to the list of joshi workers talking to WWE. The first two are buddies of Asuka's so that's not a surprise. Hiroyo had a tryout in 2014 but blew out her knee not long after.

#39 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:08 PM

The women's tournament is a wild card in this. Who the WWE bring in for that, plus how they handle the aftermath will tell whether they have really changed in what they look for from women in-ring. It's a great chance to show off that women can do different stuff from what is shown on typical WWE TV. I had read that intergender was a big no-no with WWE, but then at the last tryout there was Heidi and Kimber Lee, who both made their name with intergender. Su Yung was there to and the only thing of note that she did in her first run in developmental was date Jerry Lawler.

I totally forgot about that tournament. The list of invites from Japan and Europe will be very telling.

I think the general 'controversy' about intergender wrestling has died down in the past year, so maybe they care less about hiring someone with heavy experience in that area. Also, if they keep pillaging the women's indie scene, up-and-coming female wrestlers in some areas will either have to work men or go to Japan to get experience.

Also, I guess 2ch is adding Hikaru Shida, Makoto, and Hiroyo Matsumoto to the list of joshi workers talking to WWE. The first two are buddies of Asuka's so that's not a surprise. Hiroyo had a tryout in 2014 but blew out her knee not long after.

Hiroyo would be a pretty good fit for WWE. She has a lot of physical charisma, can work both "power" and more fast-paced styles, and has the advantage of being the same size as a lot of the American women.

#40 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:12 PM

For Stardom recs, I'd start at the 'World of Stardom Championship History' page. That has Hojo's, Satomura's, and Io's title wins from last year. After that click on the Stardom tag under the title of this thread. That will have a bunch of matches that I've reviewed in the Match Discussion Archive but note that Stardom hasn't reupped many shows from February to May that were on the YouTube page.

February to May was probably their strongest period this year. Some of the March shows are on their new site, and they're all worth watching, but the culmination of the tour is missing. Maybe someone should bug them about uploading that again. I really liked this show: http://www.stardom-w...-5-2016-nagoya/

I would also recommend paying attention to the tag-team tournament that just started. The first two matches they uploaded are pretty good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Joshi, Stardom, OZ Academy, Pro Wrestling WAVE, Ice Ribbon, Sendai Girls

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users