Pro Wrestling Only

Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard

And so I tried some personality profile episodes and I can in good faith recommend Iron Sheik, Hacksaw Duggan, Kevin Nash.

And a mild recommandation for Val Venis from the perspective of a case study of everything that was wrong about the Attitude Era, because it hits you in the head how much this guy did *nothing* of note ever and that his most famous bits were awful angles (and also the fact that he's only remembered because he was there at the right time, because three years prior, the guy would end up being Salvatore Sincere, he also never got over on himself after that point and he was perceived as a complete hasbeen when he showed up in TNA in 2010).

Tito Santana & Earthquake are OK. Stay away from Nailz at all cost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they do this Slammiversary XV episode on July 6, which included the infamous rant on Nick Aldis not having "it" (which got a scathing response from Aldis) and they talk about Alberto like they don't know he got arrested for raping and beating up his girlfriend last May, and how he had great potential and was a pro and shit. Wow. Do your homework people.

What was interesting here and that I forgot about, is that basically Brucie landed a job in IMPACT because of the podcast. How tragic that is that TNA at that point was reaching for Bruce's podcast audience to gain new viewers... Again, considering the hot mess this company was during those years, the work of D'Amore and Callis since 2018 has been quite a feat.

• 3 months later...

The reaction Prichard had on his podcast the week Howard Finkel died was pretty gut wrenching, honestly.  He totally broke down and could barely speak.  Considering how close Prichard and Patterson were, and how highly Bruce speaks of him I can't imagine this episode was any easier for Prichard to get through. Especially so soon.  I haven't listen to an episode of STW in ages, but when this shows up on my AFS feed I'll probably give it a listen.

• 2 months later...

I finally unsubscribed. I've been going through the backlog and I got to SummerSlam 1990. I was excited for this one because it's a relatively undercovered period, it's one of the first VHS tapes that I had, and I really enjoyed their Survivor Series 1990 episode that they did way back when. But the episode was terrible and the show has been rough, aside from Bruce's tribute to Pat Patterson.

The show has become nothing more than, "poor Bruce is working 23 hour days and gets 10 minutes per week to squeeze in the podcast." I don't deny that Bruce is likely overworked and is working a ridiculous schedule. The fact is, the show is awful. Even at its peak, Bruce was usually pretty protective of his prior WWF/E runs but I was fine with it because you'd still often get pretty good insight, he and Conrad had good chemistry and Bruce himself was pretty entertaining. Not anymore. If/when Bruce eventually departs WWE, I might give it another shot but I don't know. It's a rough listen.

• 2 years later...