Pro Wrestling Only

Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard

I think there's probably just as much insight as there used to be, but there's also a lot more bloat from all the gimmicks and schtick. I like Bruce and think he is a good storyteller but could probably do without Conrad for the most part, even if I do admit that he and Bruce do have good chemistry together. I just don't think Conrad is as informed as he thinks he is.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen to podcasts on iTunes, and regularly skip over anything I find tiresome or annoying, and try to find a point where it gets interesting again. Amazingly not as hard as it sounds.

The shtick is what it is, and I don't mind it. I can tell they genuinely like each other and that makes it less grinding for me. If they somehow had to force it on, then I'd probably tune it out.

The same people comment each week that they hate the show and it's a hard listen. It's a given at this point.

Do you disagree?

I love the show. One of my favorite podcasts. I just find it puzzling that the same people bash it every week yet continue to listen. Must love punishment

I wish there was simple adware free place where all of the newsworthy/interesting bits from Prichard/Tony/Jericho/Ross/Bischoff/etc.'s podcasts could just posted quickly by someone in quick list form. I don't have hours and hours to listen to this stuff but I'd be curious if we learned something new about a production meeting Bischoff had with Tony about Glacier or something (I don't know). I could absolutely see people try to listen to something like Bruce's show for new information and not necessarily entertainment.

Keller is trying this again with pwpodcasts.com. It is relatively ad-free, and I find does a pretty good job of summarizing the major podcasts.

The same people comment each week that they hate the show and it's a hard listen. It's a given at this point.

Do you disagree?

I love the show. One of my favorite podcasts. I just find it puzzling that the same people bash it every week yet continue to listen. Must love punishment

I wish there was simple adware free place where all of the newsworthy/interesting bits from Prichard/Tony/Jericho/Ross/Bischoff/etc.'s podcasts could just posted quickly by someone in quick list form. I don't have hours and hours to listen to this stuff but I'd be curious if we learned something new about a production meeting Bischoff had with Tony about Glacier or something (I don't know). I could absolutely see people try to listen to something like Bruce's show for new information and not necessarily entertainment.

Not an option for everyone, but I'll always listen to podcasts at 2x speed and with a 45 minute drive to work each way every day, and the gym in the morning before that, there's ample time to get through most of what I want even if not in the most timely fashion.

• 4 weeks later...

I've noticed that Conrad started using Figure Four Weekly for his research instead of the Observer. I wonder if either Bruce didn't want to keep plugging the Observer every week, or if Dave asked Conrad to stop using the Observer since Bruce would bury it every week. I mean, both sheets come from the same online archive, so it's not like he switched sources, so something must have happened that caused Conrad to switch.

I've noticed that Conrad started using Figure Four Weekly for his research instead of the Observer. I wonder if either Bruce didn't want to keep plugging the Observer every week, or if Dave asked Conrad to stop using the Observer since Bruce would bury it every week. I mean, both sheets come from the same online archive, so it's not like he switched sources, so something must have happened that caused Conrad to switch.

Just throwing it out their but from what I recall Dave started focusing more on MMA such as late 90s and early 2000 and wasn't as focused on the totality of the topics of late.

• 2 weeks later...

Conrad has used Meltzer the past few weeks as a resource, so I was wrong about this. The thing is, I should have known that they didn't have the 2002-onward WON archives on the Observer site because when I was on Between the Sheets, I wanted to read as much as I could about that week beyond what was sent to me for notes by Kris and Bix, so when I couldn't read the Observer because it wasn't on the site, I read that week's F4W instead. So I had even done what Conrad has done before.

• 2 weeks later...

I generally don't like Bruce Prichard, but I had listened to his Russo podcast and found it somewhat interesting, so I listened to some of his older episodes. I took special interest in the one that focuses specifically on why he got fired from WWE, and also the one regarding the Matt/Lita/Edge love triangle and subsequent angle. I also listened to this past week's episode about Demolition.

Unless he does a new episode about something particularly interesting, I don't think I am going to listen to his podcast anymore. I really don't like the format. I don't dislike Conrad anywhere near as much as most of the people in this thread do, I guess mostly because he at least calls Prichard on his bullshit most of the time. The main thing that strikes me about this show, is that it really seems like Prichard doesn't want to be doing the show at all. Some episodes, it seems like pulling teeth to get any substantive information out of him, it's like he's being deposed or something and doesn't want to give away any information unless he is asked a specific question about a specific issue which is worded exactly in a way that leaves him no choice but to answer.

Even when he does answer, he tends to give one word answers and can be downright rude and dismissive to Conrad. I know they are friends and get along outside the show, but to me it seems Conrad wants to do the show and discuss the topics, and he has to force Prichard to do that most weeks. I think Prichard would be happier doing his ridiculous impersonations (which aside from his Vince impression, are pretty terrible. Especially his Cornette, it doesn't sound anything like him.)

I can live with him being a WWF/E apologist. I went into this show expecting that, you'd be a fool not to. But his evasive and sometimes rude and snarky attitude is really off-putting to me. I really get the impression he doesn't like doing this show and he does it because he has to, or something. I contrast that with the other podcasts I listen to, Killing the Town with Storm and Cyrus, Cornette's Late Night Drive-Thru, and The E & C Podcast of Awesomeness. All three of those shows, you can tell the hosts are having fun and enjoy talking with their co-hosts and guests.

Not Bruce Prichard. I'm giving up on this guy, he's just too damn cranky, dammit.

I generally don't like Bruce Prichard, but I had listened to his Russo podcast and found it somewhat interesting, so I listened to some of his older episodes.

The Russo podcast was fascinating for the bullshit debunking, but I came to the same kind of conclusions you did after listening to one or two others. You can see the same kind of attitude in the 1990 Timeline he did recently, where Sean at one point just throws "You can justify anything !" at him.

A stark contrast with Schiavone, whose obviously having a great time doing this stuff and shows fairness to Meltz, sometimes calling him for his bullshit and sometime saying he was absolutely right and on point, while Bruce is just playing "stupid dirtsheet" in 2017.

(and yeah, Prichard seems to be one of those guys who thinks he's funnier than he actually is. See Nash, Kevin too, although he can be indeed quite funny)

As I said, I know that Conrad and Prichard are friends and business associates, so I know that for the most part, any tension between them during the show is either inconsequential, or yes..."a work."

But if it is a work, then it's a really stupid work, in my opinion.

Having a gimmick that gives listeners the impression you don't even want to be doing the show, or giving straight answers to questions isn't exactly going to inspire listeners to want to keep coming back.

Then again, even Vince Russo can get weekly listeners for his stupid crap, so what the hell do I know? I guess there are fans for just about anything.

As I said, I know that Conrad and Prichard are friends and business associates, so I know that for the most part, any tension between them during the show is either inconsequential, or yes..."a work."

But if it is a work, then it's a really stupid work, in my opinion.

Having a gimmick that gives listeners the impression you don't even want to be doing the show, or giving straight answers to questions isn't exactly going to inspire listeners to want to keep coming back.

Then again, even Vince Russo can get weekly listeners for his stupid crap, so what the hell do I know? I guess there are fans for just about anything.

i agree with you. I listen in spite of, rather than because of the gimmick.

• GSR changed the title to Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard