Photo

Something To Love (Bruce Prichard's podcast)

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#261 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2618 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:07 AM

His Paul Heyman is passable, but I'll reiterate that if I never hear his Cornette again it'll be too soon. He does an immaculate Dusty, and an okay Piper, an okay Savage. One that was a bit out of the blue recently was Triple H, but I'd have to hear more to judge. One that's sort of bad but was so funny that it gets a pass was the time he did a commercial as Demolition Smash, during the WrestleMania VI show. 

#262 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

I must admit, although his Corny doesn't really sound like Corny, it totally cracks me up at this point when he goes into the "double cheese" tirade. 

#263 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

The Fellini discussion on this week's episode was the most inside-the-wrestling-bubble thing I have ever experienced.

Holy shit, you don't say. Listening to this, I was all "They've got to be fucking kidding, right ?". Then I remembered reading this out of nowere quote here. Yeah. Pretty embarrassing if you ask me. Fucking Freddie Fellini, what can that be possibly referencing to ? Fuck.

#264 Sidebottom

Sidebottom
  • Members
  • 1119 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

Starting to enjoy What Happened When as much as this now. The absolute nonsense with the Barbarian impression had me rolling :lol:

#265 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:49 AM

Listening to some older episodes. So, the WWF actually shoot and edited Hogan's matches so people would see his bald spot the less possible. Holy shit.

The Sunny episode was quite the listen too. And really, it made you actually, and I never though I'd say that, understand and empathize with Sable more. The conclusion by Bruce "I don't think she's a good person" was like the sad, tragic end of this whole crazy narrative of Tammy Sytch's journey.

So, took me a little while (mostly because of preconcieved notions), but I became a fan. This is the ultimate peak into the WWE logic.

#266 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:55 AM

Starting to enjoy What Happened When as much as this now. The absolute nonsense with the Barbarian impression had me rolling :lol:

Not to mention Tony making sense of Wrath's gimmick by going all GoT, with a Cersei reference. Tony's awesome.

#267 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

How cool is that ? 

#268 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 10:02 AM

Amazing.

#269 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1065 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:55 AM

The crankiness seems like schtick now too. Conrad and Bruce know what their listeners expect and play to it. Anytime Conrad snaps at Bruce or vice versa, it's basically a high spot for them.

You are right about that.

I don't do this all that often, but I am admitting publicly that I was wrong about his podcast and I am officially reversing my position.  Much to my surprise, I have to say that I have become a fan of this show, despite declaring earlier in this thread that I was giving up on it.

I get terrible insomnia, and over the course of a couple of weeks, I have been amusing myself in the wee small hours by listening to the archives of this show.  I found that after a while, I began to really enjoy the show.

It boils down to a combination of two things...firstly I enjoy the topics, and secondly I have discovered that after a (admittedly prolonged) settling in period, I am enjoying the dynamic between Bruce and Conrad.

Conrad still annoys me by asking questions about money all the time, when it couldn't be clearer that Bruce just won't discuss that.  I still think about half of Bruce's imitations aren't anywhere near as good as he obviously thinks they are.  And it still bugs me that Bruce tends to toe the WWF line all these years later.  But even still, there is a lot more good than bad there, when you look for it.  This show definitely requires a while to get used to and is an acquired taste, to be sure.

The Macho Man episode was an interesting listen.  I freely admit that I laughed more than a bit, at Bruce's story of ribbing Macho by moving his stuff around while he was in the shower.  His imitation of Macho's reaction to people touching his towel had me laughing my ass off.  I was also almost moved by his recounting of the discussion that Savage and Prichard had, where Savage used a line from the movie "Mr. Saturday Night" to describe Prichard.  Bruce claims he has never forgotten it, and quoted it to his kids.  "Yeah...but you could have been nicer."

I am slowly starting to see that with age, Prichard has been able to look back at his career in the WWF and admit that he was an asshole to a lot of people.  I think in a lot of ways he probably still is an asshole, as evidenced by the way he acts on the show.  But the way he reacted to being given that feedback from Savage, and a bunch of other things he has said sprinkled throughout the episodes in the archive, makes me believe there might just be a pretty decent guy in there somewhere.  I think he is clearly the kind of guy who isn't going to apologize for anything he has said or done in his life or career, but I am always a fan of somebody who shows that level of introspection and self awareness.

#270 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1065 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:24 PM

Did anybody listen to the Jeff Jarrett episode?  It was a very interesting listen, and he pretty much totally debunked the long standing theory that Jarrett's departure in 99 was due to Jim Ross dropping the ball.  Prichard claims that JR was well aware that Jarrett's contract was up, and but had a verbal agreement to re-sign, so Vince okayed Jarrett still having the I/C title and being all over television.  Jeff was represented by his father Jerry, who Prichard claims straight up lied to JR and the WWF about Jeff staying there.

#271 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:24 AM

Did anybody listen to the Jeff Jarrett episode?

I can't wait. For obvious reasons.

#272 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1399 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

Prichard's covering No Mercy 1999 this week. Fans voted for Unforgiven 1999 last month.

Great work, voters.....

#273 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

The Jeff Jarrett episode was absolutely fascinating stuff.

#274 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1213 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:43 PM

The Lapsed Fan guys are already currently doing what will likely be the definitive podcast series on the Screwjob but Bruce's show this week was a good compliment to it.  This has become one of my very favorite shows.

#275 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8862 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Haven't listened to the Bret episode yet, but the latest ones, particularly NAO, was way too fucking much of Conrad reading results. 

#276 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1065 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:03 AM

I'm still only about halfway through the NAO episode, and I haven't really found it all that great so far.  I want to finish listening to that one before I tackle the Bret Hart episode.  That one might take a while to get through, it looks like it is almost 5 hours long.  Not sure what to expect when it comes to Bruce's perspective on Bret either, based on past history I don't get the impression that Prichard cared all that much for Bret Hart, whereas he seemed to be a big Shawn Michaels fan.  I know they covered the Screwjob in depth during an earlier episode, and Bruce didn't seem to have any sympathy for Bret's position at all.  (Not that I do either, really.)

#277 BrianB

BrianB
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:12 PM

I enjoyed the Bret Hart episode. I'd agree that it's a good lapsed fan companion too. Bruce struck me as much more evenhanded and less anti-Bret than that first Montreal screwjob episode. I don't know what's behind that exactly--maybe the wrestling convention circuit? Bruce feeling more secure about podcasting as a career future?--but he was less pro-Shawn than I thought he'd be, even after the lost smile episode. Conrad did a lot of reading for the Bret episode too, but I liked it more than the NAO episode, since Bruce added some more flavor, and it's clear lots of various sources were drawn for this one. I suspect most board readers will find the earlier part of the episode more interesting than the later parts. But I don't think I'd heard before that Shane McMahon was in the production truck giving directions for the Survivor Series 1997 main event, so that was new for me and I don't think it was in the first screwjob ep either.

#278 Cox

Cox
  • Members
  • 1768 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:25 PM

One thing that I enjoyed about this week's episode is that it added another viewpoint to the Montreal talk that I don't know has ever really been out there. We've had Bret's side through his book and through the Observer, we had Vince's side through the lens of WWF television in 1997 and 1998, and Shawn had his side presented through his book and shoot interviews, but Bruce talked about what it was like being in the WWF office. He's brought to light the frustrations of having to deal with three very large egos, three very stubborn men who didn't want to give an inch, and how that culminated in what happened at the Survivor Series. I think Bret's creative control clause ultimately trumps over all, so I tend to take his side more than any other, but Bruce has also made me realize that even before he had creative control, he wasn't always the easiest person to work with, and I can only imagine what having that veto ability did to amplify that (but that's Vince's fault for giving it to him, which is a whole other issue). I tend to think Bret would have been willing to drop it after Montreal but before starting with WCW, but I also can understand that because Bret had been difficult to work with in 1997, why folks in the office may not believe that and why they believe that Vince had to get the belt off of Bret at Survivor Series.

It's much more of a morally gray issue than I think has ever been presented in the Observer, and even as somebody who generally sides with Bret, I do wonder why Dave never made more of an effort to understand the non-Bret sides, especially since Ross and Cornette would have had his ear by this point. You can believe that Bret is ultimately in the right while also acknowledging that he was a pain in the ass to work with and somebody who didn't react well to being moved down the card after Shawn had become a hotter heel after SummerSlam. I think that's probably why Bret ultimately wound up jumping, not because of the money, but because he was no longer going to be the top heel or the top babyface anymore with Austin and Michaels about to pass him, and that unlike in the past when he was moved down the cards, he was unlikely to get those spots back this time. Which is a perfectly reasonable thing to believe, and a move to WCW should have freshened him up. Even if Shawn had become a hotter heel, he was still the hottest he had been in years after the heel turn and would have been a great addition to WCW if they knew what to do with him, but again, that's a whole other issue.

#279 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2618 posts

Posted Yesterday, 03:18 PM

I'm a bit behind. Has Bruce talked at all about the "rumors and innuendo" that Jim Carrey and Jerry Lawler were going to do an angle around the time Man On The Moon came out?

#280 The Thread Killer

The Thread Killer

The Canadian Wildman

• Members
  • 1065 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:47 PM

He's never addressed that rumor that I'm aware, and I highly doubt that rumor was true.  You should check out the documentary "Jim & Andy" that just came out on Netflix this past Friday.  The basic idea is that Jim Carrey was doing the whole "method acting" deal while filming that movie and thought he actually was Andy Kaufman. There is a ton of backstage footage of Carrey harassing and taunting Lawler during the filming.  (Ironically, that wouldn't be what Andy actually would have done, since he and Lawler were actually friends.)

Of course, the whole thing could all be a work.  Who knows. The only certain thing you can say after seeing that film is that Jim Carrey needs to be seeing an entire team of psychiatrists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users