Photo

Something To Love (Bruce Prichard's podcast)

• Please log in to reply
270 replies to this topic

#41 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:43 PM

I get the impression that Vince was very much Bruce's boss whereas he's Pat's friend.

#42 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7352 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 04:07 PM

Interesting to hear Patterson's response to the screwjob (on SCSAS), talking about how he was angry and went to the bar to drink for a while, compared to Prichard, who sounded more let down by thinking Vince couldn't trust him.

I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Patterson and Bret were a lot closer than Bruce & Bret. Patterson would have been more pissed that Vince screwed Bret than not being in the loop.

#43 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2604 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:39 PM

His Pat impression makes him sound more Italian than Quebecois.

#44 Shrike02

Shrike02
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:Life, the universe, and everything.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:57 PM

Interesting to hear Patterson's response to the screwjob (on SCSAS), talking about how he was angry and went to the bar to drink for a while, compared to Prichard, who sounded more let down by thinking Vince couldn't trust him.

Link to the former?

#45 Lust Hogan

Lust Hogan
  • Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 September 2016 - 07:31 PM

This week's episode is about the WWF Steriod Trial. Haven't listened yet.

#46 jpchicago23

jpchicago23
  • Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:22 PM

This was the topic I wanted next and sure enough they delivered. Interested to hear if they cover how wwf would've operated under Jarrett

#47 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10269 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:41 PM

Judging by the people @'ing Dave on Twitter, Bruce made the claim on his show that Dave's brief time consulting for the WWE was a quid pro quo for positive coverage in the Observer. Dave dismissed it as nonsense, but I wonder if that's what Vince was looking to get out of the deal since Vince would go pretty hard at them at the time (1987).

#48 goc

goc

• Members
  • 7352 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:23 PM

When was Dave ever overly favorable to WWF in the 80s or 90s? Even a passing knowledge of what the Observer was like in those days would tell you that Bruce's statement is bullshit (and that's coming from someone who really likes his podcast) yet you have idiots going "oh yep I 100% believe that is true because Bruce said it!"

Dave's deal with the WWF was for information about Japan.

#49 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 09:46 PM

Up until the steroid scandal, Dave wasn't particularly critical of WWF either though and gave credit where it was due, especially in the areas of production and the television product, the matches / wrestling quality less so.

Yes, the occasional moan that Dibiase was being wasted with Hercules or Owen Hart wasted as Blue Blazer or whatever, but it seems to me that through that whole time frame Dave was far far more critical of Dusty's booking than he was of Vince's. But that could just be even-handedness on Dave's part calling it like he sees it. I mean WWF was generally well booked and promoted in late 80s and NWA / WCW generally wasn't, even if it had the better match quality. Also, it's always seemed more like 80s Dave sees through the eyes of an NWA fan seeing his side getting beaten every week, whereas when he reports on Titan he feels more like a journalist.

None of this has anything to do with what Pritchard has alleged (not listened yet), but just some observations.

#50 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 06:31 AM

Just listened to the open and Bruce really lays into the dirtsheets pretty hard calling Meltzer and co the biggest marks going who have been "worked by the boys" for years, reserving special contempt for Bruce Mitchell.

I actually thought the much more interesting part than the idea that Vince was paying off Dave, was the idea that Dave has consistently put over his chief informats (Flair was the only one named, by Conrad pushing Bruce, but by implication that's also Ross and Cornette, among others) in exchange for information.

There might be a little bit to that actually. Dave seldom has a bad word to say about Flair in 80s and even into 90s. He seldom if ever criticises Jim Ross on commentary -- I've read through his coverage in of WCW in 1992 over the past year of WTBBPs, and Ross didn't have a banner year imo, but Dave never picks him up on anything. He generally sides with Cornette in his various contract disputes, etc. etc.

I think if there's any interesting point made by Pritchard in that opening diatribe, it's that. But it's all done by implication since Flair and Corny are right there as MLW stable mates. Who was Dave's inside guy at WWF?

#51 UKWildcat

UKWildcat
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:18 PM

This has quickly become a potentially interesting podcast to an, eh, it's going to be some back ground noise while I do some art.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but I found it ironic that he ripped Tully on the podcast, saying why should anyone believe him since he was a Coke head, yet at the beginning, Bruce admitted to his own alcohol and drug usage (note: he said he'd tried Coke, but didn't like it, so never really used it).

The funniest thing about that latest podcast? For years, I thought it was a government witch hunt, but I never read anything about it (other than heard people talking about the testimonies and such), but after hearing him talk about it, it seemed like the WWF was shady as hell about it. I thought he came off horrible

#52 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2604 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 06:03 AM

I think he also overestimated the potential national interest in the trial if it weren't for OJ which was instant international top news. It didn't even make much of a dent in sports media, as I don't think Sports Illustrated's coverage ever went beyond the initial July '91 article.

I really hope it's true that the picture in Bruce's gov't file was the Brother Love trading card.

#53 goc

goc

• Members
  • 7352 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 08:45 AM

Just listened to the open and Bruce really lays into the dirtsheets pretty hard calling Meltzer and co the biggest marks going who have been "worked by the boys" for years, reserving special contempt for Bruce Mitchell.

I actually thought the much more interesting part than the idea that Vince was paying off Dave, was the idea that Dave has consistently put over his chief informats (Flair was the only one named, by Conrad pushing Bruce, but by implication that's also Ross and Cornette, among others) in exchange for information.

There might be a little bit to that actually. Dave seldom has a bad word to say about Flair in 80s and even into 90s. He seldom if ever criticises Jim Ross on commentary -- I've read through his coverage in of WCW in 1992 over the past year of WTBBPs, and Ross didn't have a banner year imo, but Dave never picks him up on anything. He generally sides with Cornette in his various contract disputes, etc. etc.

I think if there's any interesting point made by Pritchard in that opening diatribe, it's that. But it's all done by implication since Flair and Corny are right there as MLW stable mates. Who was Dave's inside guy at WWF?

This isn't really new though people have been saying this kind of stuff about Dave, especially in relation to Flair and Konnan, for a long time.

#54 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6237 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 09:44 PM

I think he also overestimated the potential national interest in the trial if it weren't for OJ which was instant international top news. It didn't even make much of a dent in sports media, as I don't think Sports Illustrated's coverage ever went beyond the initial July '91 article.

I really hope it's true that the picture in Bruce's gov't file was the Brother Love trading card.

The OJ trial was also months and months away, though Vince's trial was just a few weeks after the Bronco chase.

#55 flyonthewall2983

flyonthewall2983
  • Members
  • 2604 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:11 AM

Not to nitpick, but I made sure not to mention the trial. The Bronco chase, arrest and it's fallout were all over the news during the WWF trial. 

Looks like the topic for the next show will be about Benoit, Guerrero, Malenko and Saturn leaving WCW and coming to WWF. 

#56 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1128 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:16 PM

This isn't really new though people have been saying this kind of stuff about Dave, especially in relation to Flair and Konnan, for a long time.
Yeah, I have always thought this was pretty obvious. "Ric being Ric" type of stuff.

#57 BrianB

BrianB
  • Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:20 AM

IMO, Dave always protected Pillman more than he did Ric.

#58 UKWildcat

UKWildcat
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 12:43 PM

Yeah, after this latest podcast (The Radicalz), I'm checking out of this podcast. I thought it could be interesting when it first started, but eh....you would think he has an earpiece and Vince is feeding him lines.

#59 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:47 AM

My god the first thirty mins of this latest show. I don't think I can unsubscribe though: something different and compelling about it.

#60 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6237 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:27 AM

What a weird episode. He was so unguarded about Eddy Guerrero, though, that overall it was a must listen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users