Pro Wrestling Only

Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard

Everyone keeps talking about Bruce having a "gimmick" for his show but it's obvious Conrad has one too which is "be the most annoying douchebag know it all smark who says everything Vince did sucked" so he can be a hero to the wreddit types.

I swear, if I have to listen to "was that a rib?" or "who booked this shit?" one more time...Conrad just comes off as the biggest douchebag smark when he runs that gimmick and it can get infuriating.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit I haven't listened to Prichard's show yet but I liked Conrad when he was paired up with Flair and I seem to remember the general consensus on him being positive. What happened?

The dynamic is totally different from what he does (did?) on the Flair show to the one with Bruce. His gimmick on the Prichard show is to be the voice of the internet & to insist that long standing internet bullshit is true & Bruce is just a lying company stooge who won't admit it. I mean Conrad was grilling Bruce about whether Randy Savage had sex with Stephanie and calling Bruce a liar when he said the first time he'd ever even heard about it was in the early 2000s when some writer asked him if it was true.

I really liked the show when it first started and listened to every episode but it feels like the longer it's gone on the more Conrad has turned up the "Fuck WWF, everything they did sucked & Bruce I'm going to yell at you until you admit it!" gimmick so I only listen now when it's a topic I actually care about. It really pissed me off that the only thing Conrad really seemed to be interested in during the Houston episode was stupid gossip bullshit about whether Gino was actually Paul Boesch's son or was Gino secretly gay.

I have only listened to maybe 30-40% of the episodes, but I really like this show. Conrad can be a dick, but the value of Prichard's first hand stories outweighs the bad IMO

I can't bring myself to listen to this show unless I have a drink first. Conrad just offends the hell out of me even though I am fully aware Pritchard's not always being fully truthful. Show would be much better if the host could actually ask good questions without being a complete asshole.

I listened to the Houston show.

1. Bruce claims that Hogan 1st worked Houston on the Boesch retirement show. This is false. In 85 and 86 WWF ran Houston 7 times. Hogan was on either 5 or 6 of the shows headlining .

2. Bruce made the claim that the WWF was doing Boesch a favor by doing business with him. Well Vince is a business man. In reality He needed Boesch or needed it to look like WWF had his approval. In 1985 WWF drew 1,500, 900, 1,400, and 7,000. Terry Funk popped the 7,000 house by wrestling Hulk. Hulk drew 1,500 against Orndorff, and 1,400 against Sheiky. The 900 house was Snuka vs Piper.In 1986 they drew 10,000 with Hogan vs Savage . Though I think the semi main with 2 of Houston's great drawing cards in JYD vs Funk helped it a lot. The next time Hogan vs Savage ran it dropped to 5,400. JYD nor Terry Funk was on the show.The final show of the year for Hogan vs Orndorff drew 1,400.

3. WWF wasn't doing gangbuster business in Houston. They had the same problem in Dallas.

4. They struck a deal with Boesch to have them stop running opposition.

5. The relationship doesn't work out and Boesch retires. Boesch has a no compete for a year according to Peter Birkholtz. WWF is able to get footing in Houston. Boesch returns in 88 with Crockett but the landscape has shifted.

6. WWF wins again.

I had a feeling this episode would get you fired up.

It did. The WWE ran 5 shows with Boesch. They had 4,000, 4,300, 3,700, 1,500ish , and then 12,000. Houston was use to a style of wrestling. By the 4th show the WWF style of 6-12 minute matches had hurt the town. Still the avg of the Boesch promoted shows did better than the previous 2 years without him.

I had a feeling this episode would get you fired up.

The whole Gino speculation was garbage. I didn't time it, but it felt like they took 20 minutes to go over if they were father/son. If Gino's mom was a mistress or rat. Total sleeze thread material.

I enjoyed some of the stories and some of the history. Conrad was a ass hat most of the way, and Bruce was Bruce. Bruce really owes his career to Boesch, but in the end kinda fucks him over. So both hosts look like shit at the end of the show.

This show was an example of how bad Conrad can be as a host. Most of the topics, he's fine, because most of the WWF's stuff from the late 80's into the 2000's is pretty well known, and for the stuff that isn't well known, Conrad has the Observer archives available as a backup to help fill in the gaps. For Houston wrestling, the heyday was before Meltzer's online archive starts, and it doesn't sound like Conrad bothered to read the Paul Boesch obituary from the Observer, which was readily available through Tributes and is probably online somewhere, and you'd think would be the bare minimum research he would do for something like this, since Meltzer was so close to Boesch.

So without Conrad knowing anything, and with him openly proclaiming not to give a shit about the topic, he's relying on Bruce to steer the conversation, and with Bruce able to steer the conversation more than he normally would, it allows him to bullshit Conrad more than usual. Conrad tries to cover for this by trying to sound forceful on the issue of whether or not Boesch was Gino Hernandez's father, but obviously without a DNA test, Bruce isn't going to know one way or another. So Conrad gets to remain the hero to the Wreddit community, as goc has pointed out, without bothering to actually, you know, get any answers to any relevant questions, such as why promoting with Paul Boesch was so important and how that helped Vince win the war in Houston, since Vince wasn't successful running against him. Instead, it's mostly Bruce burying Peter Bircholtz over perceived slights from 30 years ago.

Why are all of these bad Wrestlemanias winning polls? I get that it's Wrestlemania season, but who gives a fuck about Wrestlemania IX or Wrestlemania XV? I was there for Wrestlemania XV and I don't give a shit about it, it's the peak of the Russo era and it was one of the most disappointing live wrestling experiences I've ever witnessed. I get that Bruce in the GWF isn't a sexy poll topic to the Wredditers, and that they get a kick out of Conrad's "who booked this shit" gimmick, but seriously, pick topics where Bruce's insight might be of some use, not a succession of the worst Wrestlemanias of all time.

Stuff like "Bruce in the GWF" and "Houston Wrestling" always losing polls to the worst possible WWF topics is just another example of that weird ass ultra smark wreddit phenomenon where WWF/E is the worst run wrestling promotion ever and sucks but I don't want to watch/read/hear about anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have listened to a bunch of eps now.

Conrad is annoying as all get out. He's like a live action forum thread where one of the guys is really snarky and easily enraged.

Are you sure you weren't listening to one of Grimmas' shows?

I felt like that was a pretty accurate take on Conrad's gimmick for this show tbh

I'll be honest, I wasn't huge on Conrad at first but now I appreciate what he does. He did some things in early shows that I'm not a fan of, but he's improved as far as I'm concerned. I like that he talks money and business, and yes even how much guys get paid, it helps paint the picture. The one they did on the '97 Royal Rumble for example, really opened my eyes to how they promoted shows, and just promoting practices in pro wrestling in general.

• GSR changed the title to Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard