Pro Wrestling Only

What are your favorite "very good" (***1/2 - ****) matches?

Loss

I would say Bret vs. Andre in Italy, 1989. I really love mostly immobile Andre, and this is such a unique, one time only match. Bret is really smart about building spots around Andre, and Andre is really smart in filling in his end. I can't imagine a better constructed match for each man, at that point.

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2015/10/fire-fundraiser-andre-giant-vs-bret.html

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ric Flair vs. Keiji Mutoh from the 1995 G1.

That's a match I really want to see but have never gotten hold of.

A few that spring to mind for me would be all of the Davey Boy Smith vs Vader matches from 93. Really fun, hard-hitting matches that just aren't on that top level.

The Steiners also had dozens of this level of match in the late 80s / early 90s with all sorts of people. That we're just never quite focused enough to have really great matches except for the odd occasion, but they were almost always really good. I'd put a lot of matches with Doom, Road Warriors, Andersons, Anderson and Eaton, Vader and Mr Hughes and so on into this category.

Great Topic

Daisuke Ikeda vs. Glenn Jacobs (PWFG, 8/13/1994) *** 1/2 - The first match that came to my mind when I saw this thread. Probably the best 5 minutes of Kane's singles career.

Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind (WWF, 8/11/1997) *** 3/4 - A more than worthy sequel to the greatest US match of all time.

MItsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada (AJPW, 4/19/1997) *** 1/2 - High level storytelling jammed into 7 minutes