Pro Wrestling Only

[2011-10-16-TNA-Bound For Glory] A.J. Styles vs Christopher Daniels ('I Quit')

Superstar Sleeze

AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels - TNA Bound For Glory 2011 I Quit

Very strange. Pieces of it were really great and other parts really sucked. They just couldn't decide what they wanted this to be. When the match first started, I thought I found a lost classic. Really heated and intense. Daniels telling AJ to suck his dick only for AJ to tell him to suck it and shoving the mic into his mouth wa awesome. Loved the use of the STO by Daniels as a takedown, loved AJ's tenacity with his punches and then going for submissions constantly from unique spots and really wrenching them in. Then they lost that it settled into as expected AJ face vs Daniels heel match, which can be great. However, we get weird shit like Daniels throwing a wrench at AJ's head but hitting the stairs or stabbing the turnbuckle pad with a screwdriver. Shit like that makes you lose suspension of disbelief. Daniels' segment was fine until he sat on a chair on top of AJ and told he was going to murder him in cold blood. Ugh. AJ's comeback was fucking awesome. AJ would have been an excellent Jerry Lawler opponent. He is like the world's greatest Bill Dundee. AJ as a brawler not talked about enough and he would have fit in Memphis perfectly. Pele into Styles Clash. This finish run would have been perfect for a great AJ vs Daniels standard match. Then AJ is pissed goes for the screwdriver and Daniels pussies out says I Quit without struggle, which hey he is a coward so I get it. Just a weird match.

These two have really good chemistry together. This is not a good example of that. AJ was awesome at the beginning and the end. Hard to rate. I do recommend watching it because I think watching more AJ brawling and spreading the word about it is important. ***

• GSR changed the title to [2011-10-16-TNA-Bound For Glory] A.J. Styles vs Christopher Daniels ('I Quit')
  • 3 months later...

This was going along pretty well until Daniels decided to become a cartoon movie villain. Very strange transition, hard to come back from. Interesting that Joe ended up using some of the same shtick about Styles' family just last year. I did think Styles' comeback and then Daniels quitting when he realizes he's pushed Styles too far was a clever way to end it (and not something I've seen before). It allowed them to push the intensity without showing the extreme violence - an interesting move. Not essential, but interesting viewing.