Pro Wrestling Only

The early (W)WWF Presidents

JerryvonKramer

Always been fascinated by the pre-Jack Tunney presidents. I went through to see if I could find actual footage of the first two WWF Presidents. Rare sightings indeed.

2/2/76 MSG:

K7MCBUf.png

I believe this is the first on-air appearance of Gilzenberg as President. He passes a note to Wagner about next month's MSG card, and Vince mentions him on commentary.

10/1/77 Championship Wrestling:

npr9CW8.png

After Ken Patera disgracefully wouldn't let go of a swinging full nelson on Juan Lopez, causing Lopez to go to hospital. Gilzenberg suspends Patera on the spot.

10/22/77 Championship Wrestling:

NLkFhjP.png

Here Gilzenberg deals with an irate Captain Lou, who of course was Patera's manager. Lou is going spare about Patera's suspension and thinks it is against human rights. Gilzenberg is very firm and authorative. He stands by the ruling unless Albano and Patera EACH pay a $5,000 fine. Albano makes like J Wellington Wimpy and says he'll pay him the money ... TOMORROW.

I was pretty impressed with Gilzenberg's performance here. A few stuttery moments, but in general he was good in the role. More natural charisma than a Jim Crockett Jr.

--------

Here was the only sighting of President Shinma that I could find:

1/18/82 MSG:

uhmzQ3W.jpg

Here Finkel announces him along with some other dignitaries (Tunney, Crockett and Vince Sr are not announced, however, just seem to be general "board members"). Shinma speaks decent English and reads out some stuff from a piece of paper, but Vince talks all over it, so I didn't hear much of what was being said.

Still, cool to have all these guys in one ring as late as 1982.

One thing that struck me watching this stuff was how much the authority figure has changed over time.

Even from the 70s to Jack Tunney is a big shift. The "board" was such a shadow-y organization. Shinma might as well have been in the Yakuza. The whole thing was so mysterious and opaque. Tunney brought greater transparency, but he was still essentially a beuracrat who seemed to represent byzantine systems and unknown corridors of power. Still a long way from there to Teddy Long as GM etc.