Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My local indie, Rocky Mountain Pro, has recently rebranded themselves. And they hired Vince Russo.

I watched the first two episodes of weekly TV on the FITE app. Very nice production quality -- better than most of the internet weekly tv I have seen -- plus a good looking venue (I look forward to visiting it) and some solid character work.

And soooooooooooooo much Russo. It had maybe 20 min of total actual wrestling between the two hours of shows. Lots of backstage vignettes, and lots of on-screen Russo. The wrestling was decent enough, what there was of it.

I am trying to decide whether the product is poor - it sure feels like a lower budget TNA or late Nitro - or whether I am just prejudiced against Russo.

My local indie, Rocky Mountain Pro, has recently rebranded themselves. And they hired Vince Russo.

I watched the first two episodes of weekly TV on the FITE app. Very nice production quality -- better than most of the internet weekly tv I have seen -- plus a good looking venue (I look forward to visiting it) and some solid character work.

And soooooooooooooo much Russo. It had maybe 20 min of total actual wrestling between the two hours of shows. Lots of backstage vignettes, and lots of on-screen Russo. The wrestling was decent enough, what there was of it.

I am trying to decide whether the product is poor - it sure feels like a lower budget TNA or late Nitro - or whether I am just prejudiced against Russo.

Hey, I'm a Colorado guy , as well. I've gone to a bunch of their shows and had a great time. But yeah, that new show is all Russo and Mercury arguing. Yuck.

Hey, I'm a Colorado guy , as well. I've gone to a bunch of their shows and had a great time. But yeah, that new show is all Russo and Mercury arguing. Yuck.

I intend to give them plenty of chance But the first impression was mixed, indeed. Glad to hear the live shows are fun.

ETA: I caught some May 2000 Nitro clips on youtube last night. There was a backstage segment with Russo and Bischoff screaming at each other about how to run the company, who's in charge, etc.

That was 17 years ago. Russo's doing the same thing on the first two episodes of RMP.

Watching Bret Hart's final match vs Kevin Nash in January 2000, it occurs to me that Nash actually seems to care when he's in the ring with Bret.

Is it possible that Bret is one of the few wrestlers that know-it-all Nash actually respected? They put on probably Diesel's best matches, too. Has Nash ever discussed this question in his many shoot interviews?

Yes. Nash had a lot of respect for Bret and always brought his A game to their matches, even at that point when Nash stopped trying YEARS earlier and Bret's brains were scrambled. I think their Rumble 1995 match is certainly in the top 10 WWF matches of the decade.

I know I am about 12 years behind on this statement, but:

Last night, I was watching the terrifically entertaining Rock n Roll Express vs Hansen & Kroffat in All Japan (Oct 26, 1988). Why have I never before noticed that Stan Hansen must be JBL's hero? Ring gear? Same. Moveset? Same, down to the Lariat From Hell finisher. "Cowboy"? Same.

This is far from the first match I have ever seen from Hansen. Why have I never noticed?

Random thought: I was watching a 1978 match between Billy Robinson and Abdullah the Butcher. At one point, Abby rolls out of the ring. Billy walks the other direction.

Lucha and modern American wrestling says the next thing to happen is Robinson running the rope and suicide diving onto Abby. (Or in some other way doing a flying attack.) Of course Robinson doesn't do that. He doesn't even go after Abby right away.

I was amused at how I readied myself for his big dive. Because that's what modern rasslin has trained me to expect. Even Taker does it.

I said this elsewhere here today but thought it would be something maybe up for debate here. Chuck Norris' role at Survivor Series '94, protecting the Undertaker/Yokozuna match from outside interference a la the Royal Rumble match from earlier that year, was almost as bad as RoboCop in WCW. It made Undertaker look vulnerable, when instead leading up to the show they should have had him play mind games or just straight up hobble everybody who interfered in the earlier match.

UT playing mind games was the whole story of the first casket match, and he lost. I actually think Undertaker and the Warrior were *more* interesting when they were vulnerable.

You couldn't get away with using Chuck as a badass after UFC really took off (unless you wait until 2005-06 when the Chuck Norris Facts really exploded), but in 1994 it was still semi-believable. The Texas connection helped, too.

Terrible clash of styles that didn't work at all.

I feel like I'm on an island thinking Okada is not only not having the best year of anyone since Flair in 1989 (and he wasn't even the best dude in 1989), but he's not even on pace to have a better year than he had last year. He had better matches at last year's events than this year's. Not only that, but Naito has consistently out performed him in big matches this year as well.

Omega/Okada was a fun spotfest not too common in NJ main events, yet doesn't hold a candle to Tanahashi/Okada the year before at WK. Okada/Goto was better than Okada/Suzuki. Okada/Naito was better than Okada/Ibushi. Meanwhile, Naito/Tanahashi was clearly better than Okada/Omega, and Naito/Elgin (FUCKING MICHAEL ELGIN) was better than Okada/Suzuki. There's just something about Okada that, 5 years into his push as top guy, it feels like he still doesn't completely believe it. Instead of him bringing guys up to his higher level, he still needs the right opponent for him to reach that higher gear.