Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Looking into this further, it seems like the Worzel Gummidge TV show only started in 1979, and WoS Catweazle was knocking around a good 5-6 years before then.

He was a straight rip of the TV show Catweazle. I guess his slightly more straggly appearance makes him look a bit more like Gummidge, but just a coincidence.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've noticed that it's a lot easier for me to make it through long (say, >30) matches when I watch them in fullscreen mode. Being able to see the progress bar and know how much time is remaining completely drains my attention span.

Also, I really liked the Okada/Marufuji IWGP match. I've never cared much for Marufuji, but I dig his current Chopbashi tribute act. However, I was confused when Okada jumped over the guardrail and hit Marufuji with a flying crossbody. I thought going over the guardrail was an automatic DQ in New Japan. At least, it was in the 80s. When did that fall by the wayside?

I've noticed that it's a lot easier for me to make it through long (say, >30) matches when I watch them in fullscreen mode. Being able to see the progress bar and know how much time is remaining completely drains my attention span.

The progress bar is a complete nightmare in every context.

I remember some Stampede fans thinking highly of Johnny Smith. I never thought he was that great, but again I haven't watched any of his matches in forever. I may need to go back and watch some of his stuff to see.

I liked Johnny Smith. He never had the look of a star, but I'd say he was better than competent in All Japan, though I've not seen more than a match or two each in WoS and Stampede.

I am curious about his time in ECW though. He showed up a few times, including a really strong showing against Louis Spicolli at Dr Is In in 1996, got a really good reception from the fans and then never really came back. I guess he was making good money with Baba at the time and ECW wasn't worth his trouble. Is there any more to it?

$20 a month is a total fucking joke. In comparison, an upcoming streaming service - FilmStruck, which will show "prestige" films and cater to hardcore movie buffs - will be priced at $6.99/$10.99, depending on which tier you get. Never mind that: Netflix is $10. Hell, WWE Network is $10. Yet, some podunk no-name indy rasslin' service thinks they're getting $20? Wow.

Playing devil's advocate--EVOLVE shows are currently $14.99 for streaming and $19.99 for streaming + rewatching the show. They often run two shows a month. $20 for that plus archives doesn't sound so bad--and it's $12.50 a month if you buy a full year.

The stuff about how they're "going to" do this and that and "look at" these promotions and the other don't really fill me with confidence, though. I want to know what else is going into this. Even at the reduced price, WWN is the bare-minimum starting point.

The price is high relative to the drop off WWE made when they went from producing $60 monthly PPVs to the Network, which was $9.99 a month, which also offers the full WWE, WCW, and ECW PPV archive, all of the Saturday Night's Main Events and Clash of the Champions, and a large number of Raws, Nitros, ECW TVs, etc, and all of the various other content offered by the Network. Offering the entire WWN library, plus live streaming of WWN Live shows, for twice as much, strikes me as a bit high, and they will need to be aggressive in scooping up content if they want to compete with the WWE Network, otherwise I see this dying off quickly. And that first streaming Evolve show better be perfect.