Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

• Please log in to reply
651 replies to this topic

#21 Magnum Milano

Magnum Milano
  • Members
  • 1832 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:05 PM

Walton worse than Ed Whalen? I really have heard it all now! Not counting the fact that I've seen plenty of both to vehemently disagree with that opinion, but Walton is also one of the few commentators to be voted in to the Observer Hall of Fame (as opposed to being put in by Dave in the original class).

#22 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10265 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 07:27 AM

The other night I watched my first Matt Riddle match ever and my first Catweazle match ever in the span of 30 minutes. While I though the Riddle match (vs John Silver) was okay, with an especially fun finishing stretch, just based on stylistic preferences alone, I'm almost 100% certain I'm going to watch another Catweazle match before I watch another Matt Riddle match.

#23 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:19 AM

Catweazle is great and I can't believe it took you so long to watch one of his matches, especially since I remember you talking about watching quite a bit of WoS. I feel like that's something I would have told you to check out years ago.

#24 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10265 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

There's just so much out there. I watched hours and hours of matches but he didn't come up.

#25 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:51 AM

There's an argument to say Catweazle is one of the most on-trend wrestlers ever.

Here is the "real" Catweazle.

catweazle_041.jpg

I think the wrestelr Catweazle also took a bit from this chap though:

xnzAVfVhU79XD26dWUNkfCM1bcD.jpg

That's Worzel Gummidge, the scarecrow come-to-life, used to advertise Harvester restaurants during the 80s but heyday in the 70s. Played by former Doctor Who Jon Pertwee. I think the guy who played Catweazle was also in Worzel Gummidge.

#26 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 09:59 AM

Looking into this further, it seems like the Worzel Gummidge TV show only started in 1979, and WoS Catweazle was knocking around a good 5-6 years before then.

He was a straight rip of the TV show Catweazle. I guess his slightly more straggly appearance makes him look a bit more like Gummidge, but just a coincidence.

#27 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2736 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 11:26 AM

I've noticed that it's a lot easier for me to make it through long (say, >30) matches when I watch them in fullscreen mode. Being able to see the progress bar and know how much time is remaining completely drains my attention span.

Also, I really liked the Okada/Marufuji IWGP match. I've never cared much for Marufuji, but I dig his current Chopbashi tribute act. However, I was confused when Okada jumped over the guardrail and hit Marufuji with a flying crossbody. I thought going over the guardrail was an automatic DQ in New Japan. At least, it was in the 80s. When did that fall by the wayside?

#28 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8865 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

I've noticed that it's a lot easier for me to make it through long (say, >30) matches when I watch them in fullscreen mode. Being able to see the progress bar and know how much time is remaining completely drains my attention span.

The progress bar is a complete nightmare in every context.

#29 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

I cannot watch wrestling on a PC period, I watch everything on the big screen TV.

#30 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:05 PM

There's just so much out there. I watched hours and hours of matches but he didn't come up.

You should also check out Billy Torontos.

#31 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2736 posts

Posted 21 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

http://www.wwe.com/a...tin-passes-away

Bonne nuit, doux prince.

#32 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 10:11 AM

For those of you not on twitter, this was sincerely one of my happiest moments as a wrestling fan :)

J5rrShp.png

#33 sek69

sek69

Winnipeg Arena's gonna be on fire

• Members
  • 10431 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 01:53 PM

Was Mike Graham the agent mentioned in Eddie's book when he stated the reason the Radicals got a complete release from WCW was that someone backstage threatened to slit their throats if they jumped ship?

#34 The Russian Daydream

The Russian Daydream
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:51 AM

I remember some Stampede fans thinking highly of Johnny Smith. I never thought he was that great, but again I haven't watched any of his matches in forever. I may need to go back and watch some of his stuff to see.

I liked Johnny Smith. He never had the look of a star, but I'd say he was better than competent in All Japan, though I've not seen more than a match or two each in WoS and Stampede.

I am curious about his time in ECW though. He showed up a few times, including a really strong showing against Louis Spicolli at Dr Is In in 1996, got a really good reception from the fans and then never really came back. I guess he was making good money with Baba at the time and ECW wasn't worth his trouble. Is there any more to it?

#35 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 05:13 AM

He was the third impact player for like 2 weeks in 1999 as well.

#36 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2794 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:43 PM

Apparently some big news is going to break tomorrow according to an ominous Wade Keller tweet...

#37 goc

goc

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:52 PM

Gonna laugh when the big news is just that Sasha & Charlotte are going on last at Hell in a Cell.

#38 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2794 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 23 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

"Wrestling is fake"

#39 fxnj

fxnj
  • Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:56 PM

Inb4 Vince steps down

#40 goc

goc

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:03 PM

Hahaha that's even less realistic than the fake rumor I tried to start on twitter about Shane taking over NXT cuz HHH got caught cheating.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users