• 4453 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:07 PM

It's gonna be Sivi Afi.

#42 UKWildcat

UKWildcat
  • Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:43 PM

Apparently some big news is going to break tomorrow according to an ominous Wade Keller tweet...

Negan meets Kevin Dunn?

#43 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7726 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:21 PM

Rumour turns out to be FloSports running an app that streams indies for 20 a month. Their goal is to get everyone not with WWE onto their service.

#44 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8973 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:10 PM

For $20 a month they'd better have basically everything on WWN plus PWG and preferably NJ World, too. But Dave has already said that PWG turned them down flat.

#45 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10162 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:32 PM

For $20 a month they should also send a babysitter to the house so I have time to watch this crap.

#46 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1767 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:01 PM

$20 a month is a total fucking joke. In comparison, an upcoming streaming service - FilmStruck, which will show "prestige" films and cater to hardcore movie buffs - will be priced at $6.99/$10.99, depending on which tier you get. Never mind that: Netflix is $10. Hell, WWE Network is $10. Yet, some podunk no-name indy rasslin' service thinks they're getting $20? Wow.

#47 PeteF3

PeteF3
  • Members
  • 8973 posts

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:25 PM

Playing devil's advocate--EVOLVE shows are currently $14.99 for streaming and $19.99 for streaming + rewatching the show. They often run two shows a month. $20 for that plus archives doesn't sound so bad--and it's $12.50 a month if you buy a full year.

The stuff about how they're "going to" do this and that and "look at" these promotions and the other don't really fill me with confidence, though. I want to know what else is going into this. Even at the reduced price, WWN is the bare-minimum starting point.

#48 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1127 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:23 AM

As of right now, it is only the WWN stuff, correct?

#49 Cox

Cox
  • Members
  • 1754 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:39 AM

The price is high relative to the drop off WWE made when they went from producing $60 monthly PPVs to the Network, which was $9.99 a month, which also offers the full WWE, WCW, and ECW PPV archive, all of the Saturday Night's Main Events and Clash of the Champions, and a large number of Raws, Nitros, ECW TVs, etc, and all of the various other content offered by the Network. Offering the entire WWN library, plus live streaming of WWN Live shows, for twice as much, strikes me as a bit high, and they will need to be aggressive in scooping up content if they want to compete with the WWE Network, otherwise I see this dying off quickly. And that first streaming Evolve show better be perfect.

#50 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7726 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:58 AM

The price is cheaper than the current way to watch Evolve which shows indies charge too much

#51 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7352 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

I really want to know what the break-even point for subscriptions will be for FloSlam but no one has even broached that subject yet in the coverage. With talk about the price of indy content "sky rocketing" it would seem like they are going to need a lot of subs to make this thing profitable. We're in the wrestling bubble so it kind of skews the numbers but are there really even say, 100,000 people that would pay $20 a month to stream indy wrestling? That number seems high to me.

#52 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7726 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:52 AM

The price is cheaper than the current way to watch Evolve which shows indies charge too much

#53 Coffey

Coffey

@Skelemania

• Members
  • 3792 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 02:55 PM

How many people even watch Evolve shows, period?

This just seems like a service that there won't be enough interest in. Maybe I'm wrong? Independent wrestling is a niche of a niche. This does not strike me as profitable.

#54 goc

goc

• Members
  • 7352 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

Yea the last numbers I heard for New Japan World subs in the U.S. was around 1,000. And New Japan gets talked about more than EVOLVE at least from what I see on message boards and twitter. I get that it will be a lot easier to subscribe and use FloSlam than New Japan World for people who don't live in Japan but still not sure that the market is really big enough for this sort of thing to really succeed.

#55 Infinit

Infinit
  • Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 05:55 PM

Subscribing to New Japan World was really, really, really easy.

#56 goc

goc

• Members
  • 7352 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:07 PM

Some people have trouble with the simplest of tech tasks so mileage always varies on these things. I seem to recall people complaining to Meltzer on twitter about how hard it was to use the site.

#57 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1127 posts

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:26 PM

Some people have trouble with the simplest of tech tasks so mileage always varies on these things. I seem to recall people complaining to Meltzer on twitter about how hard it was to use the site.
Dave also said they would have English menus eventually. I never subbed for that reason. No apps, no English menus, etc. If numbers are that low, they probably never will.

#58 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:02 AM

This thing seems DOA to me. Why would companies who are making a profit selling their shows at $15-20 a pop want to be part of a service that is $20 total for a bunch of different groups without the kind of exposure they'd get for doing the same on WWE Network? No one signing up for this is going to be unfamiliar with most of the promotions, so they're just able to watch the same content for cheaper. 

This is why I don't understand the "price of indie wrestling is skyrocketing" comment, because when this fails, how are you going to convince people who were paying $20 a month for your shows plus 30 other shows to pay $20 for one show again? In the very short term it could get some guys some money, but ultimately seems like it'd have a negative impact once it shuts down.

Dave also said they would have English menus eventually. I never subbed for that reason. No apps, no English menus, etc. If numbers are that low, they probably never will.

They do have English menus. And an app. 

They do have English menus. And an app. 

#59 cpst

cpst
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 12:46 AM

This thing seems DOA to me. Why would companies who are making a profit selling their shows at $15-20 a pop want to be part of a service that is $20 total for a bunch of different groups without the kind of exposure they'd get for doing the same on WWE Network? No one signing up for this is going to be unfamiliar with most of the promotions, so they're just able to watch the same content for cheaper. 

This is why I don't understand the "price of indie wrestling is skyrocketing" comment, because when this fails, how are you going to convince people who were paying $20 a month for your shows plus 30 other shows to pay $20 for one show again? In the very short term it could get some guys some money, but ultimately seems like it'd have a negative impact once it shuts down.

They probably knew that the WWE and others were looking to acquire indie wrestling content and felt that the change in direction was inevitable, so they tried to move first and strike a favorable deal for themselves.

#60 stro

stro

legitshook.com

• Banned
  • 975 posts

Posted 26 October 2016 - 01:40 AM

They probably knew that the WWE and others were looking to acquire indie wrestling content and felt that the change in direction was inevitable, so they tried to move first and strike a favorable deal for themselves.

Seems short sighted, because there's no way this thing is going to last very long, and then your content has been devalued. You can't put that genie back in the bottle. Just like no one would pay for a WWE PPV after the Network. Once you go that way, there's no turning back.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users