Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love how he had a wish list of indy talent he wanted to wrestle against and was one of the most protected guys at that time, never losing clean - if he lost.

It's not that he is terrible (unless when it comes to portraying an actual character and not a caricature), but he is so... mediocre. He was ok in Arrow, tho.

Also, do you think Velveteen Dream could reach the main event spot on the main roster in WWE? Become WWE Champ and all that? Or his ceiling is lower?

In an ideal world, yes. I have zero faith in the main roster creative team to use him even 1/4th as well as NXT. I see him as a guy they won't "get".

Not sure. Sometimes there are guys that the NXT crowd fucking LOATHES and that get over so damn well when they make the transition. Elias had ridiculous heat to the point people didn't want him to exist, and now he's slowly becoming a star. Some are just better used on a bigger stage (Joe, Alexa, and I'd argue Finn)

Velveteen has enough charisma that can make things work for him. Different look, style, knows how to sell a match with facial expressions and his attire... it's not like he is 2013 Big E who was at that point just a good wrestler and took years until he actually had a good character.

His feud with Dalton in ROH was fun enough. Not sure where this "everything Cody does is terrible" talking point came from but it's getting silly. He's not the GOAT or anything but people are acting like he's Shockmaster bad.

No one is acting like he is the Shockmaster. You can be bad without also falling through a hole in the wall.

His feud with Dalton in ROH was fun enough. Not sure where this "everything Cody does is terrible" talking point came from but it's getting silly. He's not the GOAT or anything but people are acting like he's Shockmaster bad.

No one is acting like he is the Shockmaster. You can be bad without also falling through a hole in the wall.

Hm. 92 Ottman is decent. That's tough.

But I feel the need to say this about the Cody vs. Kota Ibushi match. Ibushi got an almost *** match out of a blowup doll.

Exactly. That’s why I think tapping the brakes on the Cody praise after that match is a good idea. The biggest thing he had done prior was dropping the ROH belt to Castle and that was a very underwhelming match with a flat finish. I agree that Brandi was very good in the Ibushi match, though.

I'm super stoked for the MLW card tonight.

Death Match: Jimmy Havoc vs. Shane Strickland

Low Ki vs. MVP

Penta el Zero M vs. Rey Fenix

Matt Riddle and Jeff Cobb vs. Tom Lawlor and Seth Petruzelli

Sammy Guevara vs. Darby Allin

Santana Garrett vs. MJ Jenkins

Jimmy Yuta and Jason Cade vs. the Dirty Blondes

Brody King vs. Maxwell Jacob Friedman

Mike Parrow vs. Vandal Ortagun

Plus Barrington Hughes

Really looking forward to Havoc/Strickland, Ki/MVP and Riddle + Cobb/Lawlor + Petruzelli.

Next month they begin their world title tournament and based on what they're building up to, I could see either Strickland or Allin as the inaugural champ as those are the top 2 guys they're building the company around.

I get why people like Omega, but sometimes he just comes off as a huge crybaby

https://www.iwnerd.com/kenny-omega-responds-roman-reigns-calling-best-performer-ring-world-right-now/

By saying "But I thought it was pretty smart of him to do—to say—that, because it became instantaneously a topic that people were talking about. (...) I take absolutely zero offense in him saying it.", he comes off as a huge crybaby ? Seriously now...

"By no means do I actually think he believes in those words. There's no possible way. (...) I take absolutely zero offense in him saying it. Especially since it's quite clear that the fact of the matter is much, much different."

When you look at it this way, he can come off as a bit conceited, kinda salty. Saying that Roman couldn't possibly think of himself as the best could easily be interpreted as "he wouldn't have the gall to think he's better than me".

Low Ki vs. MVP

Plus Barrington Hughes

Really looking forward to Havoc/Strickland, Ki/MVP and Riddle + Cobb/Lawlor + Petruzelli.

Next month they begin their world title tournament and based on what they're building up to, I could see either Strickland or Allin as the inaugural champ as those are the top 2 guys they're building the company around.

Sounds fun. Are they planning on putting all their shows on YouTube?

Low Ki vs. MVP

Plus Barrington Hughes

Sounds fun. Are they planning on putting all their shows on YouTube?
Nah, just One Shot. They usually put them up on their website for $4.99 for VOD or download.

Card was pretty fun live, but it won’t come across that great on video.

Riddle and Cobb vs. Lawlor and Petruzelli was really underwhelming. They did the Barry Windham deal where Arn Anderson and Larry Zbzysko slammed the door on his hand so Cobb was limited as to what he could do in the match. Riddle had an off night and Lawlor is still gree and Petruzelli is even greener.

Penta vs. Rey Fenix is exactly what you’d expect from them and if you’ve seen them once in a single match, then you’ve already seen this match.

Low Ki vs. MVP was MOTM in my opinion. The bad finish aside, it was really fun. Low Ki throws some legit mean looking elbows.

Havoc vs. Swerve was exactly what you’d expect — fun live, but I don’t think it will transfer that great on video. The problem with Jimmy Havoc is that a lot of his matches seem to be the same and this was no different.

I thought Allin vs. Sammy was fun for what it was, but I don’t recommend anyone goes out of their way to watch it.

The rest of the card was skippable.

I was also at the MLW show. I thought Pentagon/Fenix was the best match because I've only seen them live at CZW and it was good to see them 1 on 1. Pentagon is a presence about him that few in wrestling have. I can't explain it. The main event was good but dissapointing. It didn't feel like a deathmatch as it was mostly like last month's tag match without Darby's insane bumps. Was expecting more blood and gore. Ki/MVP was alright but the finish killed it. It's never good when the crowd chants "bullshit" after the match. Rest the show was weak. I'm not sure I'll go back to MLW. I hate the venue as it's too small and the standing room only section sucks.

Penta/Fenix went on too early considering the match they were going to work. It burned me out as they just went at 110 MPH for the entirety of it. I do agree with the aura Penta carries around him at this indy shows. Its hard to explain, but he comes across as a bigger deal than most of the guys.

Yeah, the death match this time around was the same as the hardcore tag match from last month. And unfortunately that is the majority of the death matches Ive seen Jimmy Havoc have in PROGRESS minus some props which he usually uses over there such as light tubes.

The finish killed Ki/MVP because they built it as a super fight and then they called for the bell and put together the entire pull apart brawl. Based of what happened, it does seem like theyll continue to program though.

What really bummed me was Riddle and Cobb vs. Lawlor and Petruzelli. I thought the entire pre match door arm injury angle looked really weak on the big screen and the match itself was really underwhelming.

Agreed on the venue. Its way to small, but it seems like this will be their venue for the foreseeable future as their next 2 events next month and the following month will be there too.

Been watching the Scott Hall DVD about his career which got me thinking about his run with the IC belt. Really enjoyed the matches he had but the one that did lack was the Jarrett match at Mania as back then and now I still feel it wasen't worthy of a Mania match. I think if he had held the belt from Summerslam 94 and then dropped it to Shawn the following year in the Ladder match who would have been the best choice for a Wrestlemania 11 match?

Id of had Razor go over Jarrett at the Rumble but scratching my head as to who would have been a good choice for a Mania match for the IC belt.

Obviously Shawn isn't happening because he's fighting Diesel but is there anyone on the roster back then would could have had a classic with Razor?

I think Will Ospreay and Marty Scurll might be in my top 5 of wrestlers I can't stand. With Scurll, how many gimmicks do you freaking need?

I am in the same boat on Scurll, though I oddly liked the match with Ospreay at Power Struggle (I think that was the one with Omega/Trent on top?). The finger spot is just the worst, especially. He had major go away heat for me when he won BOLA in 16. I typically eat up everything PWG does but that tournament (and the terrible crowd for it) made me take a break from the promotion for a while. Hes another guy that got himself in with the Bucks, though.

I like Ospreay sometimes, depending on who he is in with.

I hate Scurll more because I think there's a good wrestler buried somewhere in there, Even when he was "Party" Marty Scurll he was still a try hard that would completely derail matches because he had to show his personality. The Wrestle Kingdom match is everything I hate about Scurll. The guy can't string two moves together without stopping to call his next move, do a Bullet Club gesture or that cawing he does. The finger spot is fucking terrible and makes no sense within the context of a wrestling match. If you broke their finger, they fucking have to sell that the rest of the match or it's stupid. He also seems to be the weak link in every match he's in and he has a real talent for dragging top level wrestlers down a couple of notches. His finisher also pisses me off. He doesn't even try to make it look painful or to look like he's applying pressure. He just puts his arm over the guys throat and maybe yells and that's supposed to be enough.

Ospreay, to me is just an annoying spot monkey. I don't enjoy him but I don't hate him like Scurll because I don't see that hidden potential being pissed away. I will give Ospreay some credit. The guy can fucking sell a beating and he let's better opponents slow him down. He still does too much flippy shit but he'll let guys lead and so you get some good matches like the Shibata stuff.