Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Daniel Bryan posted an RoH match on Twitter today and made a statement about having a better chicken wing than Scurll. Bullet Club fans were rushing to defend Scurll, saying his chicken wing was the best ever.

I was crying laughing, cause that shit looks like my 65 year old mother could just roll out of it.

Apparently these kids have never seen a Backlund or Danielson match.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Regarding Scurll and Ospreay, one of the more irritating aspects of their work (for me) is the way they have to stop and shout out whenever they're about to hit a signature spot. It's been an annoying element in Scurll's game for awhile, and I just noticed Ospreay shouting out, "OS-CUTTER!" and shit at Wrestle Kingdom last week. It's just terrible.

Been watching the Scott Hall DVD about his career which got me thinking about his run with the IC belt. Really enjoyed the matches he had but the one that did lack was the Jarrett match at Mania as back then and now I still feel it wasen't worthy of a Mania match. I think if he had held the belt from Summerslam 94 and then dropped it to Shawn the following year in the Ladder match who would have been the best choice for a Wrestlemania 11 match?

Id of had Razor go over Jarrett at the Rumble but scratching my head as to who would have been a good choice for a Mania match for the IC belt.

Obviously Shawn isn't happening because he's fighting Diesel but is there anyone on the roster back then would could have had a classic with Razor?

I just watched that Rumble match and disliked it a good deal. It gets better after the "restart" and the closing stretch is fine, but the first half was dullsville. Quick refresher: After a dull opening, the Roadie takes out Razor's knee on the outside, forcing the ref to stop the match, I think, then Jarrett baits him back into the ring and proceeds to defeat him.

I haven't watched Mania XI in forever, but looking at the card, maybe they could've stretched the 1-2-3 Kid/Holly tag run and have them face the Gunns at Mania, freeing up Owen Hart? I don't know how Hall and Owen's chemistry was but I'd also add that, rewatching that Rumble match with Jarrett, I'm questioning whether I ever really liked babyface Razor or if I just thought I liked it because I was 11.

Daniel Bryan posted an RoH match on Twitter today and made a statement about having a better chicken wing than Scurll. Bullet Club fans were rushing to defend Scurll, saying his chicken wing was the best ever.

I was crying laughing, cause that shit looks like my 65 year old mother could just roll out of it.

Apparently these kids have never seen a Backlund or Danielson match.

I completely agree, unlike some whose opinions differ personally really enjoy Scurll but the two things I really don't like are the use of that goofy finger breaking spot all the time and how terribly loose his chickenwing is. I mean Cena caught crap for years about his weak ass STF but Marty's glorified groping that he calls a chickenwing is just a real downer to end some matches.

Like you mentioned guys like Danielson and Backlund made it look great and tight really getting it over as a devastating hold and guys from UWF like Fujiwara and Sayama did it well. Hell even Syxx in WCW had a much better looking one,

*3:29 of this video shows a few.

Been watching the Scott Hall DVD about his career which got me thinking about his run with the IC belt. Really enjoyed the matches he had but the one that did lack was the Jarrett match at Mania as back then and now I still feel it wasen't worthy of a Mania match. I think if he had held the belt from Summerslam 94 and then dropped it to Shawn the following year in the Ladder match who would have been the best choice for a Wrestlemania 11 match?

Id of had Razor go over Jarrett at the Rumble but scratching my head as to who would have been a good choice for a Mania match for the IC belt.

Obviously Shawn isn't happening because he's fighting Diesel but is there anyone on the roster back then would could have had a classic with Razor?

I just watched that Rumble match and disliked it a good deal. It gets better after the "restart" and the closing stretch is fine, but the first half was dullsville. Quick refresher: After a dull opening, the Roadie takes out Razor's knee on the outside, forcing the ref to stop the match, I think, then Jarrett baits him back into the ring and proceeds to defeat him.

I haven't watched Mania XI in forever, but looking at the card, maybe they could've stretched the 1-2-3 Kid/Holly tag run and have them face the Gunns at Mania, freeing up Owen Hart? I don't know how Hall and Owen's chemistry was but I'd also add that, rewatching that Rumble match with Jarrett, I'm questioning whether I ever really liked babyface Razor or if I just thought I liked it because I was 11.

You would leave Yokozuna without that big return and tag title win though so how do you shuffle him into the card then?

Others guys who didn't have a match that might've worked could have been Hakushi or Tatanka, although maybe if you go with Jeff Jarrett and Owen forming a team to work the Gunns and have Yokozuna return to face Razor.

Also maybe hold off the Luger/Tatanka feud blowoff and dave that for 'Mania and have British Bulldog work Razor for the IC title instead of the Allied Powers vs The Blu Brothers?

House of Glory (Amazing Red's indy) just live streamed a 4-way Tag title match and the 10 minutes I caught of it were excellent. LAX (EYFBO) are easily my favorite tag team right now, both Ortiz and Santana really have a good sense of ring awareness and how to keep the action constant without resorting to SPOT-SPOT-SPOT.

TJ Marconi still needs better gear, though. Nothing too crazy but maybe something that he doesn't need to keep adjusting after each move.

I have no idea who Brian Burgundy is, but damn that kid sold the apron powerbomb he took like complete death. The way it SHOULD be.

Destiny Wrestling (Toronto) is advertising a show with Pete Dunne vs Austin Aries on top. Impact Spoiler:

Aries is the TNA World Champ and Bate is the WWE UK Champ making it a champion vs champion match.

Is this the first time ever?

For all the hype he gets, I find myself to be pretty consistently disappointed by Zack Sabre Jr. matches.

I'll admit to liking watching his submission stuff, but god damn his selling is piss poor. No matter what offensive moves he takes, he looks around like he is concussed for about ten seconds, and then immediately attempts to get back to getting his shit in.

For all the hype he gets, I find myself to be pretty consistently disappointed by Zack Sabre Jr. matches.

I'll admit to liking watching his submission stuff, but god damn his selling is piss poor. No matter what offensive moves he takes, he looks around like he is concussed for about ten seconds, and then immediately attempts to get back to getting his shit in.

So I watched his first PWG title defense against Chuck Taylor yesterday. Taylor is great, he changes up his style and gets more aggressive and serious for the match. He treats it like this big moment and like everything he's doing is extremely important. Then you have ZSJ on the other side with no emotion or desperation or anything to counter-balance the great Taylor performance. He really drug down what could have been a powerful match with his inability to play his role.

So I watched his first PWG title defense against Chuck Taylor yesterday. Taylor is great, he changes up his style and gets more aggressive and serious for the match. He treats it like this big moment and like everything he's doing is extremely important. Then you have ZSJ on the other side with no emotion or desperation or anything to counter-balance the great Taylor performance. He really drug down what could have been a powerful match with his inability to play his role.

Yeah, the first one wasn't great. I also think what ZSJ may have been going for was indifference/not taking Chuck seriously. They are also building up Chuck so the crowd will take him seriously as a title contender. They weren't there yet for this match and that is also a factor in why it wasn't great. I think it ends up being a great feud and that the stuff between Best Friends and LDRS made 2017 a great year for PWG. Obviously, it does have Marty Scurll, so YMMV. I also personally like ZSJ because of our shared love of Jeremy Corbyn and having had the opportunity to talk about it with him for a while at an AAW show last year, so I am biased toward him and it takes a lot for me to not enjoy his matches (though it does happen sometimes).

Trent is one of the best sellers in the world and he helps get the whole thing over. Glad to see you're enjoying him because he fucking rules. Anyhow, everybody but Marty Scurll in that feud is among my favorite dudes, so I love the feud and the year for PWG.

I just started watching some Mid-Atlantic from the network. I just started with the first episode. Mike Rotunda's promo is epic-level bland. Not that this is surprising, but GAAAAWWWWWWD. I just had to express this somewhere.

I love me some ZSJ. I don't really find his selling off putting to be honest. I think its sort of part of his shtick, especially when he is playing heel. I honestly didn't get to see a TON of Sabre this year, but what I saw stood out. I just finished BOLA and I thought his match with Rock was probably my favorite match of the whole tournament. His match with Walter from PWG ASW was one of my top 5 matches of the year (#4). I also really loved his Evolve title win over Thatcher and the No DQ rematch this year. He was good it SSS16, his first round match with Starr was excellent and the injury angle/match with Sexsmith was one of the most memorable parts of the whole thing.

Saw a little thing about the kid who won the big Powerball jackpot on the news. He was wearing a Kevin Owens shirt in one of the pics they showed.

Get ready for a new money-mark fed!

I want to be a money mark... that would be so much fun.

Yeah, the first one wasn't great. I also think what ZSJ may have been going for was indifference/not taking Chuck seriously. They are also building up Chuck so the crowd will take him seriously as a title contender. They weren't there yet for this match and that is also a factor in why it wasn't great. I think it ends up being a great feud and that the stuff between Best Friends and LDRS made 2017 a great year for PWG. Obviously, it does have Marty Scurll, so YMMV. I also personally like ZSJ because of our shared love of Jeremy Corbyn and having had the opportunity to talk about it with him for a while at an AAW show last year, so I am biased toward him and it takes a lot for me to not enjoy his matches (though it does happen sometimes).

Trent is one of the best sellers in the world and he helps get the whole thing over. Glad to see you're enjoying him because he fucking rules. Anyhow, everybody but Marty Scurll in that feud is among my favorite dudes, so I love the feud and the year for PWG.

Same show, the SuperKliq vs. OI4K six man was the most unapologetic juvenile thing I've ever seen and I loved every second of it.

I love me some ZSJ. I don't really find his selling off putting to be honest. I think its sort of part of his shtick, especially when he is playing heel. I honestly didn't get to see a TON of Sabre this year, but what I saw stood out. I just finished BOLA and I thought his match with Rock was probably my favorite match of the whole tournament. His match with Walter from PWG ASW was one of my top 5 matches of the year (#4). I also really loved his Evolve title win over Thatcher and the No DQ rematch this year. He was good it SSS16, his first round match with Starr was excellent and the injury angle/match with Sexsmith was one of the most memorable parts of the whole thing.

I am watching ASW this morning and so hyped for Walter vs ZSJ. I’m also giving pretty serious thought to buying the Style Battle gimmick this afternoon to see Walter vs Nick Gage.