Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not true. He was gaining plenty of notoriety in the UK scene thanks to strong showings in Progress and RevPro.

Not to mention winning BOLA in 2016. I love Marty and I love how much he's developed from being the typical British low rent comedy wrestler 5 or 6 years ago to becoming one of the most recognisable wrestlers not currently in possession of a WWE contract right now.

My experience with Honor Club was absolutely terrible. I am not sure who designed the layout, but ordering and getting things to play should not require a sleuth's cap of any size. Viewing a replay of an already purchased item wasn't fun either. In 2018, it took ROH about 3 days to begin the process of canceling my membership and refunding my money. With so many options and so many ways to watch ROH-- I am not sure why ROH believes the current system is the one that best services fans.

Where did you cancel the membership on the site? I can't find that option anywhere and I'd damn sure like to use it.

It is kind of impressive that the Villain and Party Marty are equally as terrible in completely different ways.

Amazing range. Almost Jeff Jarrett-esque in that way.

That's former 4x World Heavyweight Champion & Hall of Fame inductee Jeff Jarrett to you, sir! Nobody could push the limits of mediocrity & parlay it into a career quit like Double J did. "Never drew a dime..."

When did he ever stop looking like a low rent British comedy wrestler? 'Cause I've seen what he's done up until this past weekend, and I'm still sort of waiting...

Won't dispute his popularity though.

He had a really good showing against Ospreay at Sakura Genesis. Bit of a long match, but dropped a lot of the hamminess and was much more of a merciless killer.

My experience with Honor Club was absolutely terrible. I am not sure who designed the layout, but ordering and getting things to play should not require a sleuth's cap of any size. Viewing a replay of an already purchased item wasn't fun either. In 2018, it took ROH about 3 days to begin the process of canceling my membership and refunding my money. With so many options and so many ways to watch ROH-- I am not sure why ROH believes the current system is the one that best services fans.

Where did you cancel the membership on the site? I can't find that option anywhere and I'd damn sure like to use it.

I had to send an email to [email protected] and that took care of it.

As far as Marty is considered, the guy is the Alberto Del Rio of indie wrestling as far as I am concerned. Marty is theme music and entrance presentation. Nothing more. Nothing less. If he losses those two things, he will be right in the boat of "Why Is This a Thing?" Flip Gordon. I can't think of one Scrull match that pulled me in.

Not true. He was gaining plenty of notoriety in the UK scene thanks to strong showings in Progress and RevPro.

I saw a ton of his early PROGRESS matches and they were pretty forgettable.
As have I. While I won't say he's a great talent, to act like he wouldn't get any notoriety when he was a popular figure during the UK indie boom is asinine.

I don't follow anything too consistently anymore. I've bounced around from CWF Mid-Atlantic to CWF Hollywood and all around at times. My work schedule changes constantly due to the demands of turnarounds and shutdowns, so I go from having an abundance of free time to basically just working & sleeping for weeks. So I'm flexible. And, like I said, I forgot OVW was even a thing. So it could be fun to dive back in and see where they're at nowadays.

The WWE years aren't available on their site or easily accessible anywhere, right? I know I picked up a few months worth from XWT way, way back in the day. But even that was mostly during Heyman's run, with a bunch of the Punk/Albright feud going on and Cappotelli's retirement.

How does WWE 2001 hold off now?

When I went to relieve the Attitude era days I went from 98 - end of 2000 but felt I really should have started from the Hogan era so I went back and rewatched 84 - 1998 but then felt I had already watched the 98 - 00 stuff a while ago so just picked and chose Raws to watch that Austin was in.

Watched the first Raw & Smackdown where Austin terrorised Stephanie which is great to watch and I know that Austin wins the Rumble loses to Hunter then beats Rock for the belt and goes on a heel run with the Two Man Power trip, then a invasion angle that ends at Survivor Series then Flair comes in the next night and Jericho ends the year as a double champ.

But aside from that how was the year in general? Better or worse than 2002?

Some stuff has made it's way to YouTube. I've seen traders with the TV before. I still have VHS of some of the WWE years.

Yeah, if you're willing to go down the route of traders you should have no trouble finding any OVW TV from about 1999-2009 (not to mention some of the big Louisville Gardens shows and Six Flags events). I'm long out the game, but that was all fairly easily accessible to source back in the day.

WWF 2000 is when the booking and presentation problems of the last few years started, but Chris Kreski was at least wise enough to keep notes on who feuded with who and whatnot. There was continuity and lower card talent bumping elbows with ME talent, plus at least one great (or borderline) match every PPV.

WWF 2001 is the first year Steph is the head of creative and it shows. The match quality was consistent from both homegrown talent and WCW/ECW signings, but the booking starts taking a nosedive at the end of 2000 and it just gets worse as 2001 chugs along.

The booking has been atrocious these last few years. Calling it even decent would be a major stretch. There are no stories. There aren't many characters with clear motivations to begin with, which makes it doubly difficult to set these people on opposite sides from each other and make it feel meaningful.

There are no stakes. Even when there are wagers or claims on the line, no consequences last after the dust has settled - because they simply don't care, and the fans have given them no reason to care. History has taught them that the fan base will come back regardless, and so it's this cycle of enabling in which the same fans will bitch about the same process, but they'll be back for another round all over again anyhow.

Everything has come to this - an age where the booking has never mattered less. The in-ring action has taken a major upswing, for sure. And the guys have never worked harder. But the results and the action has also never meant less.

The booking itself isn't about stories. But they're so starved - so fucking famished - for content to kill time and fill their TV commitments that they'll book outlandish, stupid shit at a moment's notice.

And the few stories they do present are no longer about substantial issues or philosophical differences, because there are no characters with identities. There are no characters who stand for much of anything.

I know people have claimed the Brock/Roman deal to be this epic, 3-year journey of masterful storytelling or whatever, and that just baffles me. It was never presented that way. And so it looks like we've also essentially reached a point where some of the fans are okay with just creating their own narratives and imagining the stories that happen on Wrestling Twitter or whatever are supposed to be part of canon.

The only actual plot points all seem to be centered around record-setting, numbers of title reigns, etc. It's as if trying to think of anything other than that stuff would require too much effort.

I don't know. It's just all so lazy and unimaginative to me.