Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know when Dave Hebner stopped refereeing completely? I'm looking into WWE refs and have a tough time telling the Hebner twins apart when trying to determine who refereed what match.

Around when Earl showed up, albeit while being billed as Dave.

Does anyone know when Dave Hebner stopped refereeing completely? I'm looking into WWE refs and have a tough time telling the Hebner twins apart when trying to determine who refereed what match.

Around when Earl showed up, albeit while being billed as Dave.
I wonder if that was a Vince thing, along the lines of outside of the angle he didn't want two referees that looked alike?

Edit: according to wiki he refereed the Savage Hogan main event at Wrestlemania V and retired after knee replacement surgery, then became a road agent.

Are the Hebner brothers among the most notable WWE guys out there who never patched things up with the company? I always thought they would both become lifers when they worked there. It blows my mind that they've been gone for over a decade.

I was always under the impression they were both well liked and selling unauthorized merchandise seems low on the list of WWE transgressions.

EDIT - I didn't know Earl was part of the class action lawsuit

If you are interested in catching MLW Fusion download the go90 on your mobile phone or tablet and in the live channels tab select beIN SPORTS and it will be listed on the program list as MLW Fusion.

This is totally legal and free as go90 works with beIN SPORTS.

Go90 is only available in the US. I'm still trying to figure out how to watch MLW Fusion in the UK. It doesn't seem to be popping up anywhere!

If you are interested in catching MLW Fusion download the go90 on your mobile phone or tablet and in the live channels tab select beIN SPORTS and it will be listed on the program list as MLW Fusion.

This is totally legal and free as go90 works with beIN SPORTS.

Is this only when it airs and not on demand, or am I missing something in the app?

Just been watching No Way Out 2001 and I really didn't see why Show had to interfere during the match especially the way it was done when he wasen't part of the match, I can remember most things with his feud with Rock but this match he didnt have any business in getting involved when the storyline wasent about him.

Then there was the Rock Bottom where supposedly Kurt kicked out when he didn't, he just lays on the mat.

Not really sure why Hunter had to go over in his match when he was moving onto to Taker and Austin was what Wrestlemania was built on this year.

I've never been one to like a title change this close to mania, either keep Rock as champ in October 2000 or make it Angle/Austin at Wrestlemania instead.

I should probably post this in the match thread but I wanted to highlight it. I was rewatching the famous Funk vs. Race bout from 7/1/1977. In the third fall, a bloody Funk is working over the right leg of Race. Race's selling is minimal but at one point he decides to drop a kneedrop with his left leg. Then proceeds to sell that leg for nearly 1 minute in what is probably the dumbest spot I've ever seen in wrestling. After that Funk returns to working over the right leg (as he should) like nothing happened. That spot nearly killed the match for me and almost made me want to yell at my screen "You had an injured leg RIGHT THERE to do that exact spot and it would have fit the context perfectly and looked great". I know that's just one spot but in general, Race is probably the only wrestler considered an all time great who I think is genuinely awful.

Not really sure why Hunter had to go over in his match when he was moving onto to Taker and Austin was what Wrestlemania was built on this year.

Twofold:

1. To set up a challenger for Austin over the summer, when Rock would be in Hollywood and WCW was still a Turner subsidiary.

2. To increase Austin's paranoia and desperation. He came back from a career threatening injury - again - and barely won the Rumble. He had Hunter beat but couldn't muster enough to finish him for good. Rock at WM17 was more resilient than ever (after a year against HHH, Angle, Benoit, Taker, etc.) and Austin needed help and a lot of chair shots to keep him down.

If Austin's heel turn wasn't a flop because of the rushed Invasion arc? We'd be talking about how great the booking was leasing up to it.

I've never been one to like a title change this close to mania, either keep Rock as champ in October 2000 or make it Angle/Austin at Wrestlemania instead.

Angle/Austin doesn't sell like Rock/Austin, but I agree with the rest of this.

I recently rewatched the Bret/Flair Iron Man match, and what struck me was the fact that both of the falls Flair picked up were by submission. Granted, he was using the ropes for leverage both times. But still, this was a time in which it was basically unheard of for a top babyface to submit, let alone the world champion. When Flair won with the figure-four as a heel in the past, it was from the babyface being pinned after passing out. It makes me think that Flair may actually have been trying to sabotage Bret to a degree.

I recently rewatched the Bret/Flair Iron Man match, and what struck me was the fact that both of the falls Flair picked up were by submission. Granted, he was using the ropes for leverage both times. But still, this was a time in which it was basically unheard of for a top babyface to submit, let alone the world champion. When Flair won with the figure-four as a heel in the past, it was from the babyface being pinned after passing out. It makes me think that Flair may actually have been trying to sabotage Bret to a degree.

I really should watch that Ironman match as I think its the only WWE one thats out there i've yet to see, I am suprised that they never did one at the TV tapings. The submission thing yeah didn't know that I remember when WWE bragged about Bret never losing a cage match either so when CHV was about I was suprised Yokozuna beat Bret in the cage.

Kayfabe version in my own head: In an Ironman match, best to submit early so as not to have too much damage done to whatever part is being worked on, hence quicker recovery time for the guy giving up the fall. Plus it gets the bad guy's submission hold over a bit, since it actually works on a top opponent for once. :)

I always looked at a submission in a multiple fall match like that. They are rare rare events to happen to top end babyfaces in one fall matches. Martel submitting the AWA title to Hansen always come to my mind, and in the sense that the match itself is nothing special, it did the job of making it memorable outside of the title change portion.

Kayfabe version in my own head: In an Ironman match, best to submit early so as not to have too much damage done to whatever part is being worked on, hence quicker recovery time for the guy giving up the fall. Plus it gets the bad guy's submission hold over a bit, since it actually works on a top opponent for once. :)

I always looked at a submission in a multiple fall match like that. They are rare rare events to happen to top end babyfaces in one fall matches. Martel submitting the AWA title to Hansen always come to my mind, and in the sense that the match itself is nothing special, it did the job of making it memorable outside of the title change portion.

I've always been curious to the finish of Martel vs Hansen for the AWA title. Any insight why they booked Martel to submit to Hansen, khawk? Strange finish for a babyface. Was Martel done completely with Verne and the AWA after that night?

I may as well ask here. Does anyone have any clue/insight about wXw suddenly dropping John Klinger last month? He was killing it over 16 Carat weekend and he's been with them for ages, then suddenly he's gone without further comment, even though he was a tag title holder.

Tomorrow's MLW card isn't looking as good as previous cards:

MLW World Title: Shane Strickland © vs. Pentagón Jr.
Rey Fénix vs. ACH
* Jeff Cobb vs. Jack Hager
Santana Garrett vs. Chelsea Green
MVP vs. Maxwell Jacob Friedman
** Joey Janela vs. TBD
Tom Lawlor vs. Fred Yehi
Jimmy Yuta, Jason Cade & Rhett Giddins vs. the Dirty Blondes & Mike Parrow
Simon Gotch Prize Fight Challenge
Barrington Hughes vs. TBD

* Jack Hager was previously known as Jack Swagger in WWE

** Joey Janela was scheduled to face Brian Cage, but he was pulled from the card a couple of days ago for an unknown reason

I'm personally looking forward to Lawlor/Yehi and Cobb/Hager.

I may as well ask here. Does anyone have any clue/insight about wXw suddenly dropping John Klinger last month? He was killing it over 16 Carat weekend and he's been with them for ages, then suddenly he's gone without further comment, even though he was a tag title holder.

Not sure what happened there, but he's booked for EVOLVE next month on the same cards with Ringkampf.

I was wondering about this as well. His title defense against Ilja in December was outstanding, and had really grown on me as a top line heel presence and worker. Then out of nowhere stripped of the title and seemingly gone from the promotion.