Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im a big fan of the attitude era but god am I bloody sick of a bunch of fake cops having to arrest the good guy all the time just so the Heel gets some heat.

A trope that never appears more ridiculous than that one episode of Raw where Austin gets arrested for attacking the nWo, only for Hogan to literally attempt vehicular homicide on The Rock later in the hour... with zero legal consequence.

Im a big fan of the attitude era but god am I bloody sick of a bunch of fake cops having to arrest the good guy all the time just so the Heel gets some heat.

A trope that never appears more ridiculous than that one episode of Raw where Austin gets arrested for attacking the nWo, only for Hogan to literally attempt vehicular homicide on The Rock later in the hour... with zero legal consequence.

Thats bad. And I thought a heel taking a cheapshot on a handcuffed Face was bad. Just arrest both of them.

And if I'm thinking about it. Could the Sheik even bump?

I've seen a ton of Sheik matches, and if he ever took a legit bump I don't remember it. That was one of the things I found hilarious about the fact that he trained Sabu and RVD. Their styles could not possibly be any different from his. Somehow, I don't think The Sheik taught RVD the 5 Star Frog Splash. Although that visual makes me laugh and laugh.

I've seen a ton of Sheik matches, and if he ever took a legit bump I don't remember it. That was one of the things I found hilarious about the fact that he trained Sabu and RVD. Their styles could not possibly be any different from his. Somehow, I don't think The Sheik taught RVD the 5 Star Frog Splash. Although that visual makes me laugh and laugh.

Maybe the Andre the Giant match?

I'm pretty sure RVD couldn't sell, if that helps.

I'm pretty sure RVD couldn't sell, if that helps.

I thought he was good at selling the Frog Splash hurting like a motherfucker.

I recently rewatched the Bret/Flair Iron Man match, and what struck me was the fact that both of the falls Flair picked up were by submission. Granted, he was using the ropes for leverage both times. But still, this was a time in which it was basically unheard of for a top babyface to submit, let alone the world champion. When Flair won with the figure-four as a heel in the past, it was from the babyface being pinned after passing out. It makes me think that Flair may actually have been trying to sabotage Bret to a degree.

Kayfabe version in my own head: In an Ironman match, best to submit early so as not to have too much damage done to whatever part is being worked on, hence quicker recovery time for the guy giving up the fall. Plus it gets the bad guy's submission hold over a bit, since it actually works on a top opponent for once. :)

I always looked at a submission in a multiple fall match like that. They are rare rare events to happen to top end babyfaces in one fall matches. Martel submitting the AWA title to Hansen always come to my mind, and in the sense that the match itself is nothing special, it did the job of making it memorable outside of the title change portion.

I've always been curious to the finish of Martel vs Hansen for the AWA title. Any insight why they booked Martel to submit to Hansen, khawk? Strange finish for a babyface. Was Martel done completely with Verne and the AWA after that night?

I don't know that it was anything more complicated than it made sense with Hansen injuring Martel's back a week and a bit earlier. Martel wasn't around long in the AWA-proper after that with the back injury being a way to move him along so there is that as well (he did wrestle Hansen on 1/16/86 in Winnipeg on the Flair-Bock card, last AWA card in Winnipeg before Vince took the area).

Another thing about it...It made Hansen's title win very noticeable for being different (as noted a pure submission in a North American ring for a world title was rare) and Hansen did cheat a bit with his head on the turnbuckle while he had Martel in the crab ostensibly preventing rick from escaping and ultimately having to give it up.

Also of note, they ran a concurrent injury angle in Montreal with Jim Garvin doing the deed in a tag match. Hansen did come into Montreal and had at least one match with Rick in 1986 as well, Martel winning a non-title bout via pinfall. I don't think they had the rematch as promoted though, and if they did I have not seen a result.

For the record, the one bump I've seen the Sheik take is in a RWTL match where Billy Robinson gives him a gutwrench suplex.

Of course, if Billy told Sheik, "We're doing the gutwrench," then there wasn't a whole lot Sheik could do to stop him.

Sabu said he was not allowed to even touch the ropes for two years. That he insisted on him learning the basics. Him and RVD would do flying stuff whenever Sheik was not looking.