Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 4

TravJ1979

Don't know where this goes. But been watching a ton of Georgia wrestling.

I think its a disgrace Ole is not in the Observer HOF, unless he went in and I missed it.

I would think creating the Road Warriors and being a founding member of the Horsemen puts him at worst on par with Ultimo Dragon and slightly under Angle. But he drew a lot of money as a performer and a booker. Why should WCW be held against him? In the first few years, Herd sabotaged everyone trying to draw in WCW.

Also some questions on Vince buying the Georgia territory, He obviously got the tape library. But when Jim Crockett paid for the time slot, did he buy the company and get the tape library? I do remember occasionally seeing Georgia clips on WCW TV. Does anyone know how that worked.

Vince was only concerned about the time slot, so he probably didn't care about the tape library then. Also I was under the impression that Turner owned the rights to at least everything Georgia taped at the WTBS studios as Dave has mentioned several times that WWE owned everything from 70s Georgia to Florida/Central States/UWF with the WCW purchase.

There was a WCW Classics show on Turner South, a station designed to be like classic TBS. Most episodes would have late 70's/early 80's GCW and aired after WCW had went under, so that would make sense. Except one episode had the Windham/Flair Worldwide draw.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Inregards to Batista vs Rock as a movie star. How many movies has been carried by Batista's name alone? You don't need to like Rock's output, but he is clearly a bigger star on numbers alone.

Nothing against Marvel movies per se. But none of the stars in these movie have half as much star power in their other movies.

Batista wants to do Shakespeare eventually. I sort of love that romantic idea of going for it on your own terms more than I do making brainless action movies, even if they do rake in tons of money. I'd like to see Rock attempt a serious role that gets an Oscar nomination.

A way to freshen up Money In The Bank is to not allow former WWE Champions or MITB winners from entering.

I'd like to see them do it like in New Japan where the briefcase holder has to defend it like a championship. That way, they're established as credible challengers even if they win the title on a fluke cash-in.

Something I think would make a lot of sense. Face wins MITB, heel champion places bounty on him. Would make a lot of sense for someone like Lesnar who would become part of the storyline without actually being there every week.

Thought id give Tough Enough a watch because I really enjoyed the first season and didnt realise they had exclusive footage on it.

Bit of a odd moment where Hunter has a go at one of the guys for just having a Goldberg poster on the wall, spouted some crap about saying why be fan of a guy who been having 4 min matches ran threough everyone and said he walked when he wouldnt do a job calling it disrespectful towards Droz who got paralysed.

I know fans have their favs but seriously running a trainee down just because his fav is Goldberg. You can't force people to pick their fav who you want it to be. Seemed a bit of a asshole thing to say, but I think it came across more of HIS TV character than the real Triple H.

Its nice to recognise alot of stars when you see them now.

Batista wants to do Shakespeare eventually. I sort of love that romantic idea of going for it on your own terms more than I do making brainless action movies, even if they do rake in tons of money. I'd like to see Rock attempt a serious role that gets an Oscar nomination.

His role on Ballers is pretty serious, at least compared to his movies. Unfortunately the show itself is not on par with being something that can lend itself to taking his acting more seriously, but it's some of the best on-screen work he's done so far.

I thought he was brilliant in Pain & Gain.

I always wanted a MITB winner to earn a title shot on their own, so they could have a ppv headlined by the MITB essentially getting two shots in one night.

The first year they had Edge in a tournament for a title shot. Reasoning being he did not want to use the case if it could be avoided As I remember, they did not make it sound like you could use the shot any time.

I imagine kids who loved Hogan in 1985 were sick of him as teenagers in 1990

Nope.

It actually happened, what do you nope? Do you mean you weren't, because you are not all people?

Some might have been tired of Hogan, but more fans loved him than hated him. By 92/93 he was wearing his welcome out.

Hogan for me as a kid was the superhero babyface that would topple the monster. When I was a teenager, he then turned into the cool nWo bad guy that was protected by his gang. Then as an adult, he had the nostalgia run and Wrestlemania match with the Rock. So for people around my age, he whole run was pretty welcome.

People older than me, however, different story. Or the younger fans that didn't see his initial WWF run. I think it's definitely a generational thing.

When Hogan did start to wear out his welcome, that's when he left for WCW. His early run in WCW, admittedly, was pretty bad until the heel turn.

I would've sworn there was a Horsemen thread but i couldn't find it, so dropping this question here.

Watching footage from June 1987 and the Horsemen cut a number of promos setting up a feud with the Freebirds, including directly pushing a match at the Omni. But I don't see that anything ever came of it. What was the deal here?

I'd like to see them do it like in New Japan where the briefcase holder has to defend it like a championship. That way, they're established as credible challengers even if they win the title on a fluke cash-in.

I wouldn't want to see this, simply because it would allow WWE to too often second-guess its chosen winner, make that victory meaningless, and pinball the briefcase around.

I don't trust WWE to be organized or disciplined enough to make this anything other than a huge train-wreck.

Thought id give Tough Enough a watch because I really enjoyed the first season and didnt realise they had exclusive footage on it.

Bit of a odd moment where Hunter has a go at one of the guys for just having a Goldberg poster on the wall, spouted some crap about saying why be fan of a guy who been having 4 min matches ran threough everyone and said he walked when he wouldnt do a job calling it disrespectful towards Droz who got paralysed.

I know fans have their favs but seriously running a trainee down just because his fav is Goldberg. You can't force people to pick their fav who you want it to be. Seemed a bit of a asshole thing to say, but I think it came across more of HIS TV character than the real Triple H.

Its nice to recognise alot of stars when you see them now.

I've always been of two minds about that situation.

1. It showed Triple H at his pettiest and most insecure. Not a good look for either him or WWE.

2. With that said, the trainee should have known better than to put up a wrestler from a rival company. If he had no clue that he was going to potentially work for WWE if he won Tough Enough, he shouldn't have been there in the first place.

In any case, it was probably all staged reality show bullshit anyway and really not something that merits the deeper discussion we're giving it.

Money In The Bank is already watered down. At least having a MITB for women is it stops having two briefcases for the men. But they wimped out on the Ellsworth/Carmella idea and ended up doing the same heel cash in they have done for over a decade.

That is me editorializing too much. I should just say I find the concept stale.

The last time I was really into it was when Damien Sandow won it. Because I did not know if he could successfully cash in. I really enjoyed his match with Cena. Sandow really got across a desperation, because he knows he will never be this close again. I hate how Sandow gets crapped on now. I am watching him in OVW and he was talented with a lot of hustle. He would take any gimmick that was given to him and run with it.