59 replies to this topic

#41 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:14 PM

#1 Contenders Match: Los Still-Pretty-Good-icos vs. Evers & Scaggs

Man, I hope you guys enjoyed this one. What did you think of Lance and Scorp's new "Lethal Weapon" type gimmick? Obviously, we are thinking about turning them face as well, eventually. They are totally over with the crowd after beating Hogan's and Bret's teams in the tournament. The problem is, we want them to work as heels in Osaka next month. So... we had a clean-fought, mostly technical match with some high flying, and a clean pin by Scorp on Dos Caras, followed by handshakes and then... BAM! Post-match beat-down. Crowd seemed to buy into that one, too. 

And, by the way: You do *NOT* want to use the term "Pearl Harbor Job" when discussing post-match beat-downs in Japan. 

Evers and Scaggs vs. the winner of Dragon Hearts vs. Chono and Sasaki in Osaka! Does that necessarily mean a Dragon Hearts victory? Probably, right?

#1 Contenders Match: TAKA, Hamada, and Yakushiji vs. Togo, Jado, and Gedo

In contrast, this was worked in a straight-up good guys vs, bad guys style. Hamada and Yakushiji are so good at getting sympathy, Togo, Jado, and Gedo are all natural dicks (no pun intended), and TAKA is such a great fired-up babyface... I love this combination. I love heel Togo vs. face TAKA. Next time, we'll give them even longer, we only kept this one short-ish because of the conventional wisdom about Dome crowds.

And now Lyin' Guys will face the winners of Space Mutineers vs. Skyin' High, in Osaka... Does that mean the good guys will definitely win? Can you see the curve ball coming? 

​#1 Contenders Match: Liger vs. Ohtani

Hopefully you guys enjoyed this one! It's one of the best matches we can put out there. Keep it to yourselves but we will probably see a epic re-match in Nagoya in February. Liger gets the win, barely, but Ohtani beats him down and rips his mask a little after the match to stay strong. 

#1 Contenders Match: Hulk Hogan vs. Road Warrior Hawk

hawkho2.jpg

Frankly, I was worried about this one going on after Liger vs. Ohtani... but these guys played to the cheap seats, Hogan sold a massive beat-down from the Road Warrior, Hawk kicked out of the Big Leg Drop and the first Axe Bomber... and they had the crowd in the palms of their hands. I'm sure that Liger vs. Ohtani will come across as the much better match on tape... that's part of my problem with analyzing matches that way. The boys' job is to work the live crowd, first and foremost. That's what Hawk and Hogan did today.

hawkho.jpg

And now Hogan will be fighting for the IWGP belt next month. 

(off to work, write more later) 

#42 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 08:34 PM

For the Welterweight Championship: El Samurai vs. Koji Kanemoto

This was more or less a shorter, tighter version of their headlining match from last month. They wrestled to a stalemate on the mat, Kanemoto took a clear advantage in the striking section, El Samurai was forced to go high risk, Kanemoto almost had him, but El Samurai escaped and hit a couple of big moves. The ending was different, though, as they finished with both men struggling to hit one final big move: El Samurai went for the Samurai Bomb, but Kanemoto blocked it, got behind, and went for the Tiger Suplex, which El Samurai barley escaped... In the end, El Samurai won out. He went to shake Kanemoto's hand after the match, but got slapped in the face. 

I missed what happened next, as Wally, Jado, and Gedo came into the control room to allow me the opportunity to go out and watch one match as part of the crowd. By the time I made it over to where you guys, Yuka, Tina, and the Make-A-Wish kids were sitting, Pink Lady had started their live performance and The Space Mutineers were on their way to the ring.

For the Asahi Pro Trios Championship: Skyin' High (Sasuke, Delfin, and Naniwa) vs. The Space Mutineers

I can see why the corporate types love to run the Tokyo Dome: It's just so many people. So many tickets. So much merch. So many soft drinks....

But... all that cash sure does come at a cost. Unless you are right up at ringside, there is simply no sense of intimacy. People ar too far away from the action and too far away from each other. It's no wonder that it generally takes a big heavyweight spectacle of a match to really get the Dome crowd going. 

Sasuke, Defin, Namiwa, Kaz, Funaki, and Terry Boy have been working together for years. Their ring chemistry and timing are through the roof. The live appearance from Pink Lady and the elaborate entrances had the crowd heated up and these guys did everything possible in the essentially lost cause of trying to keep that heat going. At least the dive trains and the big finish got pops. I missed most of the belt-awarding ceremony as I made my way to the back, How did that go? 

Coming to Osaka in December: Liger vs. El Samurai! Space Mutineers vs. Lyin' Guys! Tehnico vs. Technico. Rudo vs. Rudo. 

For the Asahi Pro Tag Team Championship: Dragon Hearts (Fujinami and Hase) vs.  Masahiro Chono and Kensuke Sasaki 

hasecho.jpg

I'm gonna be honest here: AJPW has their tag tournament coming up. Over the course of that tournament, there will probably be 10 or 12 matches that are better than this one. This was a good, solid ***1/2 level match but nothing more. The strong points were Hase on the mat bringing out the best in his opponents, Kensuke on offense just beating guys down, and Chono's heeling. The weak points were Fujinami going to the sleeper too often, some weak selling from the heel team, and a so-so crowd response. The ceremony awarding the new belts to Dragon Hearts was impressive, at least.

Coming to Osaka: Dragon Hearts vs. Evers & Scaggs

Main Event, for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship:  Mutoh vs. Bret vs. Choshu vs. Norton

chomu.jpg

That's quite a lot of star power in one ring. Norton may not have that type of special charisma, but he does have a tremendous physical presence. They worked this like a Dome Main Event, starting slowly, building and building. Bret and Norton brawled out of the ring, giving the spotlight to Choshu and Mutoh... Choshu clocked Mutoh with a Lariat, and Bret rolled back in to stop the pin, then Bret and Riki worked dueling Sharpshooters as the first real high-spot... Norton and Choshu worked power vs. Power, bulling each other around the ring... Bret and Mutoh tested their technique against each other... You might think that Mutoh vs. Norton would have been the worst segment of the match, but they worked speed vs. power quite effectively. The only really contrived spot was Mutoh's big running Clothesline, and it got a nice pop. Choshu did the majority of the work, but every time Bret or Mutoh got the advantage Norton cleaned house. Eventually Bret and Mutoh worked together to take out Norton's knee, then Bret hit his big five moves on Norton, culminating in the Sharpshooter. As he was doing so, Choshu clobbered Mutoh and sunk in a Sharpshooter of his own. Norton and Mutoh tapped out at the exact same moment. Bret and Choshu had a long stare-down in the middle of the ring, then started brawling. Both dressing rooms emptied to break it up. The Ishingun members carried Choshu back to the heel dressing room on their shoulders. The Seiki-Gun members did likewise for Bret. 

Bret was quietly given a replica IWGP belt to take back to America with him. Asahi Shinbun newspaper, and Asahi TV news both announced that, since Choshu had caused Mutoh to tap out and Mutoh had been the champion, Choshu was officially the new champion. 

Hopefully, we'll be able to make a deal with WCW for a re-match to settle things some time in the future. 

For now, though: Hogan vs. Choshu next month!

#43 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 2594 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:46 PM

Wow. That's even better that I could've even imagined how to work the IWGP title situation!

#44 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1124 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:55 PM

Great stuff. 

#45 Gutenberger

Gutenberger

The German

• Members
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Pro Wrestling (obviously), Football (The european version),
    Reading, Video Games, TV-Series, Movies, Comicbooks. . .

Posted 21 November 2016 - 06:39 AM

That is a really clever solution. And sounds like one hell of a show, as usual.

#46 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:06 AM

Thank you, gentlemen!

40974_464873730357_201202_n.jpg?oh=96d66

Most of the boys got ten days off after the Dome Show. Many of them came to Osaka to work out at the company gym, cut promos for TV, and so on. We brought Pancrase fighter Takaku Fuke in to do a seminar on mat work. 

A bunch of the guys - particularly Hase, Lance, Dos Caras, Kanemoto, TAKA, Funaki, and Nagata - were in the gym with him all day long, working on the finer details. He was incredibly generous with his time and knowledge, and the boys soaked his advice up like eager little sponges. It was really something to see. The next day I saw Lance working with Hase on some of the stuff they had learned, and later Wally asked me to come back to the gym to help him tape Nagata and Kanemoto as they worked on the finer points of their technique. 

For TV we are mostly going to run a long re-cap of the Dome show with some promos and so forth to set up for December's show in the new arena here in Osaka.

We're having a fan vote to see which title match will be the main event: Hogan vs. Choshu for the IWGP belt, or Liger vs. El Samurai for the Welterweight title. What do you guys think? Feel free to vote by fax or by postcard (available in the weekend edition of Asahi Shinbun).

Asahi Pro Wrestling in Osaka Asahi Arena (card so far):

Main Event: either Hulk Hogan vs. Riki Choshu for the iWGP title

or 

Jushin "Thunder" Liger vs. El Samurai for the Welterweight title

The Space Mutineers (Trojan, Fistrock, and Kingsnake) vs. Lyin' Guys (Togo, Jado, and Gedo) for the Trios Title

Dragon Hearts (Hase and Fujinami) vs. Evers and Scaggs (Lance and Scorp) for the Tag Titles

** Break **

#1 contenders matches:

Mutoh vs. Chono

Ohtani vs. TBD (There will be a TV match to determine his opponent)

Sasuke Delfin, and Naniwa vs. TAKA, Hamada, and Yakushiji

Big the Great Bulls (Hawk and Norton) vs. TBD (by another TV match)

** and more! **

#47 Gutenberger

Gutenberger

The German

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 05:30 AM

Oh damn, my fax machine is broke and I don't get Asahi Shinbun 'round here. I'd take the risk of giving the main event to the Welters though. I always find it a good idea ot having a real breathtaking spectacle come up last. Kind of like a concert, where often the last song is one to come down, where as I'll happily take an upbeat song so I can get out with a rush of adrenaline ond drain my last energy.

#48 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:55 PM

Well, the overnight results are in and so far literally 100 percent of the votes are for making Liger vs. El Samurai the headliner. wasn't expecting that! 

#49 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1124 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:35 PM

The MPro faithful went hard in the paint for the juniors.

#50 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 11:29 PM

There are a ton of chain restaurants in and around the Asahi Business Park complex. We often go there to eat when we are busy, and I'll tell you all about them sometime soon. This week, though, we had some extra free time and so Yuka and I went out for some local Osaka soul food. For whatever reason, there is no easy direct connection from here to the Dotonbori entertainment district, and I find changing trains or subways in Osaka to be kind of a pain in the ass that I try to avoid as much as possible, so we only go there if it's a good-weather day and then we take the Loop Line to either Tsuruhshi or Taisho and walk into Namba. In a way, that's a good thing because it means that the special Osaka foods we eat there will always feel like a real treat to me. 

There are three main dishes that we have to try if and when you make it out here:

Takoyaki: The undisputed king of Osaka street food. Octopus balls! Bite-sized pieces of octopus with ginger and green onion in an egg-and-flour batter cooked in a special pan that gives them a distinctive spherical shape. The first time we tried these, it took some degree of convincing... and to be honest, even now Yuka is more into them than I am, but they are really good. I have a thing for Akashiyaki, which is basically the same thing except the batter is more eggy and less floury. Akashiyaki goes great with sake. 

Okonomiyaki: I like Takoyaki. I LOVE OkonomiyakiEvery English guide book says these are like pancakes. They are not like pancakes, except in terms of shape and cooking method. In terms of flavour and texture? Not at all. Sometimes people say they are like pizza. They are round and you can choose your toppings... but really okonomiyaki is entirely its own thing. The best restaurants let you cook them yourself, teppan-style. Yam flour batter, lots of shredded cabbage, a little green onion, poured out (pancake-style, I admit) onto the hotplate... As far as toppings are concerned, I love buta tama (pork and egg) and mochi cheezu (mochi and cheese). Yuka likes seafood, particularly squid. 

Kushikatsu: Generally: meat, veg, or seafood, skewered, battered, sometimes breaded, deep-fried, and dipped in sauce. The sauce is usually served in a pot that is shared by everyone near you at the table or counter.  Every single time i have gone for kushikatsu, the staff have explained to me that it is not cool to double-dip. My top ten kushikatsu: Shrimp, asparagus and bacon, smoked cheese, lotus root, okra, classic pork and onion, tsukune (chicken meatballs), scallop, chorizo, kisu (smelt, a small white fish). We'll sometime take the train to Shin Imamiya and walk into the place where kushikatsu were invented: The slightly grotty Shinsekai neighbourhood. You just follow the smell of hot oil from the station, and you'll end up on a street that is basically just one kushikatsu restaurant after another. Great with beer. 

#51 Gutenberger

Gutenberger

The German

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 02:32 AM

I think I'd most likely try out the Kushikatsu. The dipping concept sounds a bit like fondue to me, although different. Ah, the japanese culture.

Can't wait to hear what you're gonna do with the resultst of Halloween Havoc, which by this time should have gotten through to you, I hope.

#52 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 03 December 2016 - 12:12 AM

We're going to Okinawa! We'll be running three shows in five days at those little baseball stadiums that the Japanese teams use for Spring Training. Gonna get a little sun, try some Okinawan food, and in particular Wally and I are going to be on a hunt for Kusu. I'm not a big fan of Awamori, which is Okinawa's local special distilled liquor. It's a little harsh and astringent for my tastes... but the rumour is that if you can find real kusu - awamori that has been carefully aged for many years inside of clay pots - it is as smooth and mellow as a properly aged scotch. 

A guy from Panasonic named Hiroshi is coming with us, to manage and oversee the recording equipment we'll use. There might be some unusual lighting issues running baseball stadiums and it'll be a big part of Hiroshi's job to work with the Director Of Photography in addressing that. 

As always, this is confidential... but: We want to use Mochizuki and Saikyo Yaiin (Nakanishi and Nagata) in number one contender's matches in Osaka and we figure it might work better if we have them win a match on TV to earn that spot rather than just elevating them for no reason. So: They'll each be working three "earn-a-spot-in-a-number-one-contenders-bout"  matches in Okinawa and on TV next week we'll run whichever one looks best on tape.

We'll fill out the TV with a random multi-man tag match, hype for Hulkster vs. Choshu (Axe Bomber vs. Riki Lariat), hype for Sammy vs. Liger (pretty much sells itself), and hype for the upcoming Super J Cup.  The Great Sasuke, Koji Kanemoto, Jushin Liger, TAKA Michinoku, Shinjiro Ohtani, El Samurai, Super Delfin, & Dick Togo are all going to participate in the tournament being run by All Japan. Expect lots of highlight videos over the next two weeks. We also finally got footage from WCW's Halloween Havoc show... and it's worth the wait! The finish to Liger vs. Flair is just crazy. Hopefully we'll get footage from WCW WW3 soon, as well. Yuji Nagata, Scorpio, Tajiri, Keiji Mutoh, Liger, Kensuke Sasaki, Lance Storm and Kaz Hayashi are all on that card. 

So my actual workload will be fairly light, giving me at least a little time to enjoy Okinawa with Yuka and look for Kusu with Wally. 

#53 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 06:18 AM

24002_415490230357_5166632_n.jpg?oh=ee93

Some of the best restaurants in Japan are little hole-in-the-wall places with seating for around a dozen people and an owner who is also the cook. They tend to specialize in one or two things which they do extremely well. This guy makes the most amazing chicken wings. No grease at all, just taste and crunch. Delfin has lots of friends in Okinawa, and it was them who recommended this place to Wally. We ordered some kusu, of course, and got served from the small clay pots the master keeps on the counter and t was... OK. I asked if he had any of the really aged stuff, and the master apologetically explained that true 20 year old plus kusu is really rare, and that the stuff we were drinking was a blend of various awamori that had only been aging for three to four years. We decided to stick around and keep eating wings anyway. The master mysteriously disappeared for almost twenty minutes after serving up our third heaping plate of his special tebasaki. We called for him, to no avail. 

When he finally reappeared, he put little cups on the table in front of Wally and I. There was a small amount of golden liquid in each cup. He joined us, we toasted (they say "Karii!" in Okinawa), and we drank. It was so smooth going down, and when it hit my stomach it created a little patch of warmth that slowly spread through my whole body. It was absolutely one of the finest liquors I had ever tasted. "Twenty years old, " the master told us. "Real kusu," Wally concurred. That was on the house. I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to try it. 

The second day of taping went spectacularly well. I think that Hiroshi from Panasonic is kind of a genius. In addition to his wizardry with televisual technology, he is the first-chair cello in a major amateur symphony orchestra. He has a portable practice cello which he works out on whenever he has a spare moment. I correctly identified the piece once, when he was playing the prelude of Bach's Cello Suite No. 6. He was delighted by that, and we talked and talked about classical music at the breakfast buffet the next day. The hotel has an omelette station, which I took full advantage of. 

We got some nice footage of Mochizuki vs. Naniwa and Saikyo Yaiin vs. The Mad Dogs (Goto and Ohara) to set up the card in Osaka, and a fun match between Fujinami, Hase & Koshinaka and Sasaki, Kojima, & Tenzan to fill out the TV time. 

We can't release this until after we run the TV show, but the card for Osaka looks like this: 

Asahi Pro Wrestling in Osaka Asahi Arena

Main Event: Liger vs. El Samurai for the welterweight title

Hogan vs. Choshu for the IWGP Title

The Space Mutineers (Trojan, Fistrock, and Kingsnake) vs. Lyin' Guys (Togo, Jado, and Gedo) for the Trios Title

Dragon Hearts (Hase and Fujinami) vs. Evers and Scaggs (Lance and Scorp) for the Tag Titles

*** Break ***

Number One Contenders Matches:

Mutoh vs. Chono

Ohtani vs. Mochizuki

Sasuke Delfin, and Naniwa vs. TAKA, Hamada, and Yakushiji

Big the Great Bulls (Hawk and Norton) vs. Saikyo Yaijin (Nakanishi and Nagata)

Undercard: 

Koshinaka, Dos Caras, and Kato Kung Lee vs. Kensuke, Tenzan, and Kojima

Super Strong Machine, Smiley, and Tajiri vs. The Mad Dogs and Black Buffalo

#54 SirEdger

SirEdger

Eternal nostalgic...especially about wrestling

• Members
  • 2594 posts
  • Interests:Pro wrestling, fantasy booking, hockey, football, history, UFC, baseball, video games, reading.

Posted 06 December 2016 - 03:00 PM

Finding it cool that Liger vs Samurai is main eventing that show, despite that HUGE Hogan/Choshu for the IWGP Heavyweight title. Makes the welterweight title even more legit.

#55 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:02 AM

Finding it cool that Liger vs Samurai is main eventing that show, despite that HUGE Hogan/Choshu for the IWGP Heavyweight title. Makes the welterweight title even more legit.

We had a write-in vote to determine which would be the Main Event, and *literally* 100 percent of the votes we received were for Liger vs. El Samurai.

#56 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:24 AM

Asahi Pro Wrestling in Osaka Asahi Arena

hogcho.jpg

What the corporate suits originally wanted was for Choshu to turn face, to increase his usefulness as a soft drink spokes-model. . Our argument was that a huge part of Choshu's appeal is his anti-authoritarian persona, which resonates with a significant portion of our audience - particularly working men. They had a meeting about it, which I wasn't invited to, and apparently at the meeting Choshu managed to offend someone in power badly enough that we were more or less ordered to get the belt off of him as punishment. 

There was some discussion about making the IWGP title match a four-way and putting the strap on Chono or Mutoh, but we decided not to go in that direction. 

Super Strong Machine, Smiley, and Tajiri vs. The Mad Dogs and Black Buffalo 

A nice heated little brawl to start things off with. The rivalry between Super Strong Machine and his ex-partner is likely going to be a lower-card staple for us well into 1996. 

Los Still-Pretty-Good-icos (Koshinaka, Dos Caras, and Kato Kung Lee) vs. Kensuke, Tenzan, and Kojima

Started out as a showcase for TenKoji's cocky characters, as they beat up on Kung Lee and mocked their veteran opponents. Then Dos Karas and Kosh got a chance to shine as they got revenge on the young boys. Finally, the spotlight shifted to Kensuke as he just overpowered everyone and killed Kato Kung Lee with a Lariat and tapped him out with a Strangle Hold.

Big the Great Bulls (Hawk and Norton) vs. Saikyo Yaijin (Nakanishi and Nagata) #1 Contenders match

I like the format of running four title matches and four contenders matches at every big show, but we are probably going to shift away from it for the January Dome show, to keep from beating the concept into the ground. That being said: We wanted to use the format to give some of the young guys a chance to step up a little, so Hawk and Norton gave Nak and Nagata a ton before killing them with the modified Doomsday Device. Nakanishi's Iron Claw on Hawk got a pretty huge pop out of the Osaka crowd, which was nice. 

nakhaw.jpg

Sasuke, Delfin, and Naniwa vs. TAKA, Hamada, and Yakushiji #1 Contenders match

Hopefully this will make some MOTYC lists. Obviously, I am a Michinoku Pro mark and this match was a classic example of why. Liger is, individually, better in the ring than any of these guys, and Ohtani probably is, as well... but in some ways these M-Pro multi-man tags are the best that Asahi Pro has to offer our audience. The timing and chemistry that they have when everything is clicking is just on another level from anything else in Pro Wrestling right now. I I'm pretty sure the lads were consciously trying to steal the show away from the main event. In my opinion, they succeeded.

taksas.jpg

Ohtani vs. Mochizuki

I think that Ohtani took the trios match and the crowd reaction to it as a personal challenge. He and Mochizuki just beat the living hell out of each other, going all-out to get a response out of the audience. Despite the fact that they are both rudos, Ohtani managed to get the crowd behind Mochizuki, and had them thinking that the underdog might just have a chance to pull of the upset. Then, he pulled the rug out. Might be another (stealth, low-end) MOTYC. Certainly, Mochizuki has earned a chance to move up the card a bit with his performance here.  

Mutoh vs. Chono

Smartly, they worked this one more as a character piece rather than trying to outdo the previous matches in terms of work-rate. Chono is becoming more and more effective as a heel, and they really played that up here with him bending the rules at every opportunity. The Shining Wizard/Shining Yakuza kick battle had the crowd going crazy. I love Osaka crowds. 

Chono vs. Hogan for the IWGP belt is an interesting match-up, but there might be a big twist coming up on January 4th...

#57 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:06 AM

Dragon Hearts (Hase and Fujinami) vs. Evers and Scaggs (Lance and Scorp) for the Tag Titles

While still not at the level of the best tag matches happening in All Japan right now, this was about as good a heavyweight tag as I think Asahi Pro is capable of offering.. Hase worked his ass off, going crazy on the mat with Lance and selling Scorp's high-risk offense like death. Fujinami seems suited to a slightly more limited role, breaking up pinfalls and waiting for the hot tag. That seminar with Fuke really seems to have paid dividends, as the mat work just seemed more compelling than usual in this one. Scorp's Flipping Leg Drop near-fall got one of the bigger pops of the night. 

scofuj.jpg

Dragon Hearts vs. Big the Great Bulls should be a different kind of match, hopefully it will be almost as good as this one. 

The Space Mutineers (Trojan, Fistrock, and Kingsnake) vs. Lyin' Guys (Togo, Jado, and Gedo) for the Trios Title

Ten minutes of comedy that then shifted violently as Gedo and Jado lost their tempers and took Terry Boy Trojan out with chair-shots before dragging him outside. Then we had a gorgeous long sequence where Togo flew all around the ring as Kingsnake Kaz and Fistrock Funaki made quick tag after quick tag trying to keep up with him. Finally, a bloodied but still standing Trojan made his way back to ringside and distracted Togo long enough for Kingsnake to put him out with a Back-to-Belly Piledriver. 

Overall, the match wasn't quite at the level of Ohtani vs. Mochi or the trios contenders match, but that Togo sequence might have been the best thing on the card. Trojan, Fistrock, and Kingsnake vs. Sasuke, Delfin, and Naniwa should be amazing. Too bad we are wasting it on a Tokyo Dome crowd!

Hogan vs. Choshu for the IWGP Title

Choshu attacked Hogan before the bell and absolutely beat him down for several minutes. The momentum shifted when they took it outside the ring, as Hogan lifted Choshu onto his shoulder and rammed him into the ringpost. This was repeated four times, with Hogan playing to the crowd near each corner. After that: Big Boot, Legdrop... One...Two...NOOOOO! Axe Bomber, Legdrop... one...two...THREEEEE! Shin Champion!!

The post-match posedown and belt-awarding ceremony took longer than the match itself. 

Main Event: Liger vs. El Samurai for the welterweight title

I am biased, of course, but it really felt like we had two low-end and one high-end MOTYC on this card. Sasuke, Delfin, and Naniwa vs. TAKA, Hamada, and Yakushiji was the best and most exciting of the three, Ohtani vs. Mochizuki the hardest-hitting, and this one was the epic story based on intelligent limb work. Liger and El Samurai went after each other's left arms right off the opening bell, and attacking and selling those arms played into each step of the match, which built and built for almost 25 minutes. Unable to hit the Brainbuster or Liger Bomb with only one arm, the challenger put El Samurai down with a Rolling Koppu Kick and finished him off with a Shooting Star Press. 

Before the belt-awarding ceremony could begin, Ohtani and Mochizuki rushed the ring to attack Liger. El Samurai did the run-in for the save... and we are probably looking at a four-way match for the January Dome show.

lygoht.jpg

#58 Gutenberger

Gutenberger

The German

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:54 AM

Great show! How was the crowd reaction for the welters going out last? I hope a kind of positive shock.

#59 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:40 AM

Great show! How was the crowd reaction for the welters going out last? I hope a kind of positive shock.

Well, the TV spots and all of the advertising after the votes came in had Liger vs. Sammy as the Main Event, so hopefully most of the crowd were not surprised. A handful of people left the arena after Hogan vs. Choshu, but for all I know they had a train to catch or something... The match itself got a great reaction, that Osaka crowd was hot all night. 

#60 gordi

gordi

monster gaijin

• Members
  • 1828 posts

Posted 13 December 2016 - 08:28 PM

This is gonna sound a little crazy, but... 

dsc_1326.jpg

A robot cat from the future has just shown up in my apartment. Apparently, having Inoki leave New Japan in 1995 and having Asahi TV and Asahi Beverages merge leads to a series of horrible tragedies in the future. I have to go back in time to 1985 and try to save things. 

Sorry, it's been great fun, but this is goodbye for now! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users