Pro Wrestling Only

Announcement: Pilot Season on the Pro Wrestling Only Podcast Feed

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://wrestlingwithwords.com/series/we-dont-know-wrestling/

We Don't Know Wrestling

NICHE: "Best Podcast When it Comes to Targeting the Shitposting on Wrestling Twitter Demographic"

SCHEDULE: Weekly

Chad has told me before that the actual wrestling talk on your show can be quite good. And since we're looking for new original pods for the pilot versus existing shows that would just jump feeds, DM us if you have any ideas for a project away from WDKW.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/gitrwrestletalk

Get in the Ring

Niche: Current wrestling talk along with watching classic matches. We also talk to various pundits and contributors about their fandom. It's a multi-faceted show, always bouncing around new ideas.

Schedule: Weekly

Thanks for posting Danny. We're looking for original ideas, not currently out there in the arena of wrestling podcasts and as noted above, not looking for existing shows just jumping feeds.

We Don't Know Wrestling

NICHE: "Best Podcast When it Comes to Targeting the Shitposting on Wrestling Twitter Demographic"

Chad has told me before that the actual wrestling talk on your show can be quite good. And since we're looking for new original pods for the pilot versus existing shows that would just jump feeds, DM us if you have any ideas for a project away from WDKW.

Not so subtle jab at the tremendous content that WDKW delivers.

We Don't Know Wrestling

Its more about the point of the request is about producing brand new shows, as opposed to "poaching" shows already out there than criticizing your content.

I recommend everyone in podcasting or wanting to get into podcasting to teach themselves how to edit. Seriously, it's not hard. The first few attempts will be rough around the edges, but it doesn't take long to learn how to put together something decent. When I first started I thought it would be a lot more difficult. I would at least download Audacity and practice with that. There are several online tutorials out there, and anyone feel free to pm me for help.

As for recording, downloading MP3 Skype Recorder is the free and easy way to go, although sometimes unreliable. But you aren't a real podcaster until you've experienced lost audio! Once you have it downloaded you can set it to automatically start recording as soon as the Skype call starts.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Buy a guitar, learn three chords and start a band

I've had three ideas for different podcasts floating around in my head.

1. A look at the Death of the Territories from an economics and business point of view. Most of the shows on the end of the territories focus primarily on the talent leaving. I want to look at the economic situation in the region each promotion was based in and see how that contributed positively or negatively to the demise of the promotion. Additionally I would like to look at the business model of each promotion and see how and if they tried to adapt once the situation became bad, also trying to assess the business skills of each promoter and maybe other key people involved. That of course would take quite a bit of research and would be a limited series, since it really only makes sense for regional promotions.

2. A show discussing wrestling outside of the general mainstream areas of wrestling. Essentially wrestling everywhere that is not US, Mexico, Canada, Japan or the UK. There of course the challenge would be acquiring the viewing material ranging from quite easy for places like Germany or Denmark to incredibly challenging for places like lets say Turkmenistan or Botswana if they even have wrestling. But that would be kind of the point of the show in addition to discussing wrestling from the easier to aquire places. I would see this a monthly show to be able to acquire enough new viewing material, because a weekly show would essentially only allow discussion of places like wXw with only occasional dives into the obscure. Whereas a monthly show allows a good dive into the wrestling in one specific place. Still trying to flesh out the specifics here.

3. Essentially trying to find gold nuggets in a pile of shit. I want to look at the worst most infamous events in wrestling and determine whether they are completely without any merit or if they have some stuff in them that can even be described as very good. This could be a bi-weekly or even weekly format.

All them still need a bit of fleshing out. If anyone is interested in working on these with me hit me up.

3. Essentially trying to find gold nuggets in a pile of shit. I want to look at the worst most infamous events in wrestling and determine whether they are completely without any merit or if they have some stuff in them that can even be described as very good. This could be a bi-weekly or even weekly format.

As a listener this one would hold the most interest to me. I think if you took something like the Fingerpoke Of Doom and devoted a good 45 minutes to trying to really assess, "what was the goal", "what was the longterm hope", "why did it not work" and so on, as opposed to just doing the usual, "Fuck Nash and Hogan" hot takez you might have a fascinating listen. The dumbest ideas in wrestling usually had some decent intention behind them, misguided as they may have been.

Your territories idea seems a little dry and might be better served as a written series rather than a podcast, but that's just me.

1. A look at the Death of the Territories from an economics and business point of view. Most of the shows on the end of the territories focus primarily on the talent leaving. I want to look at the economic situation in the region each promotion was based in and see how that contributed positively or negatively to the demise of the promotion. Additionally I would like to look at the business model of each promotion and see how and if they tried to adapt once the situation became bad, also trying to assess the business skills of each promoter and maybe other key people involved. That of course would take quite a bit of research and would be a limited series, since it really only makes sense for regional promotions.

2. A show discussing wrestling outside of the general mainstream areas of wrestling. Essentially wrestling everywhere that is not US, Mexico, Canada, Japan or the UK. There of course the challenge would be acquiring the viewing material ranging from quite easy for places like Germany or Denmark to incredibly challenging for places like lets say Turkmenistan or Botswana if they even have wrestling. But that would be kind of the point of the show in addition to discussing wrestling from the easier to aquire places. I would see this a monthly show to be able to acquire enough new viewing material, because a weekly show would essentially only allow discussion of places like wXw with only occasional dives into the obscure. Whereas a monthly show allows a good dive into the wrestling in one specific place. Still trying to flesh out the specifics here.

All them still need a bit of fleshing out. If anyone is interested in working on these with me hit me up.

I like all three of these, and rather than just going with one, you could essentially rotate them in one series, and that way the show could still have legs even after you'd exhausted those three considerable topics.

This sounds awesome.

We Don't Know Wrestling

You can handle the banter so I knew I could get away with that one ;)

Here's my all purpose guide to podcast production.

1. Download latest version of Skype, MP3 recorder, CN Levelator, and Audacity

2. Before you start your call, ensure that MP3Recorder is running. SET IT TO RECORD IN MONO. If you don't do this, one host will be on left ear and the other on right ear. To be on safe side, get your co-host ALSO to run it.

3. Start Skype call. MP3 Recorder should now start recording. You will know because in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen a little box will pop up saying "Recording started".

4. Do your show.

5. Finish call. You should now get a notification in the bottom right saying that the recording has finished.

6. Open audacity, use that to open the MP3 (that MP3Recorder has created).

7. In audacity now do this: Edit --> Duplicate.

F9p0LNs.png

And "make stereo". This step is necessary if you want to splice in audio from youtube or songs (which are typically in stereo).

9s6q1V0.png

8. In audacity, export audio. Save to nameofshow.wav format.

9. In other folder, there should now be a copy of your raw audio in .wav (need to select this from drop down menu, .wav)

10. Open CN Levelator. Drag that .wav file ONTO the levelator. It should process. Eventually it will make a file called something like nameofshow.output.wav This will sort out an audio level differences between the people on the call. It makes quiet people louder and loud people quieter, etc.

11. Open that output.wav file back up in audaicty. This is where you edit in music etc. Google "Youtube to MP3" to rip videos from online in audio format. You can open those up in audacity and make edits that way.

12. Once you are done, export the final file as a .mp3, and send to feed editors / upload.

--------------

This might seem like a lot but it really isn't, and once you have it down, it'll be easy. All this stuff is pretty easy to use for anyone who knows how to turn on a PC.

Out of curiousity, would there be any interest in a Titans/WTBBP-style show looking back at the formative days of ROH? Or is the "podcast breaking down a single show" arena too full right now?

I've been waiting for such a podcast for ROH! And TNA, though there is an early days one for them out there, but I don't know how long they plan to keep up.

Out of curiousity, would there be any interest in a Titans/WTBBP-style show looking back at the formative days of ROH? Or is the "podcast breaking down a single show" arena too full right now?

These type of shows remain the bread and butter and if there are no other shows out there looking through ROH, then this is absolutely the sort of thing I think we'd encourage. You'd be surprised what doesn't exist. AJ Excite still appears to be the only pod ever to go through peak 90s AJ.

Well then. I guess the next logical follow-up would be is there anyone out there who would be interested in co-hosting such a show?

Mind you I have no clue if I have the time to devote to such a project right now, but you gotta start somewhere.

I'm interested. Let's discuss.