Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-08-08-NJPW-G1 Climax] Manabu Nakanishi vs Togi Makabe

GOTNW

Yeah-you can definitely see the prototypes of some of today's New Jalan tropes here, particularly the long forearm exchanges, double lariats and the bounce off the ropes-eat a move transition. This was a fun hoss battle-I noticed I enjoy the New Japan finishing steetch countering logic a lot more when it's applied to shoulder block. Maybe I'd grow tired of that too but it's peculiarity made it worth pointing out. This was a fun hoss battle-Nakanishi would spice the strike exchanges with big chops and a huge bitchslap and I loved how Makabe used the first one to goad Nakanishi into attacking him and managed to create a huge opportunity for himself. Nakanishi selling dizziness was fun-Makabe's choice of offence questiinable, I don't really buy Half Crabbing a guy a minute after you Death Valley Bomb him on the floor. Nakanishi also pulled back on Makabe's jaw and knees like Atlantis does which turns the Argentine Backbreaker (usually one of my least favourite moves) into a neat looking hold. **3/4

• GSR changed the title to [2004-08-08-NJPW-G1 Climax] Manabu Nakanishi vs Togi Makabe