Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 10/24-10/31

sek69

So they were either totally ribbing Heyman by telling him to go out there and try to get that crowd to cheer Goldberg or Vince and Paul made a bet and Paul lost. Cause I'm not buying this whole "Vince got mad cause he thought they'd boo Brock" story. Come on.

Either way, Heyman was pissed off.

It's really impossible for you to believe Vince would think Brock would be booed because Goldberg was so popular the week before? The whole angle has been set up to make Brock the heel so far, and Vince expects all crowds to respond the way he wants them to.

Perhaps "blowing a gasket" was an exaggeration but I have zero problem believing he fully expected the crowd to react the way he wanted and got pissed when they didn't.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like it's the #1 problem they're facing, but the PPV bloat hitting their major shows is not doing them any favors. It's one thing if they use all this extra time for matches, but you just know it's for more wacky skits and Steph browbeating segments.

Worse than it being a 4 hour show is that it is actually a 5 hour show because of the pre-show stuff. The show length itself isn't the problem because the older WWF shows were close to 4 hours long but it was fine because there was only 3 or 4 shows a year. When you have two shows every 6 weeks a 5 hour show is too fucking much.

They have also been awful at pacing and laying out these 4-5 hour shows in the modern era. Summerslam essentially died for me after AJ and John Cena tore down the house, with TWO hours left in the show afterwards. Even just shuffling that to the final hour if not the main event would have made that show a little better.

It was like if Steamboat vs Savage was the 4th match on Wrestlemania III.

Match order will be interesting. I know there's a big push to have the women go on last, and with it being in Sasha's hometown it wouldn't be the worst idea to do it here. You can argue that the world title match should always go on last, but I have a bad feeling they're going to do something silly that's going to kill the heat for the show early on.

Worse than it being a 4 hour show is that it is actually a 5 hour show because of the pre-show stuff. The show length itself isn't the problem because the older WWF shows were close to 4 hours long but it was fine because there was only 3 or 4 shows a year. When you have two shows every 6 weeks a 5 hour show is too fucking much.

The preshows on the 4 hour shows have been 2 hours, so it's more like a 5.5 or 6 hour show from first match to last match.

I can see how that's better in the abstract, and that might get them some of the momentary mainstream acceptance that they love. Given the WWE's love of beating everything to death (especially on Raw), wouldn't the self-congratulation just become irritating?

In this case they probably have some overdone Attitude Era finish planned for the World Title match, and those sorts of things work best when they go on last.

Meltzer made a good point that the first ever female main event should be something promoted weeks in advance and not a last minute decision like it would be Sunday

He should have made the point that the first ever female main event should be in a heated feud with a logical build instead of a feud that feels like it won't ever end and they've had 7 TV matches (not including tags) since March. Does anyone really want to see them have another match, regardless of gimmick and card position? It's the stalest feud in the company right now. Putting it in the main event can't change that.

The preshows on the 4 hour shows have been 2 hours, so it's more like a 5.5 or 6 hour show from first match to last match.

I don't get why they feel turning PPVs into a death march for the audience is anything good. Like, I get three hours of Raw, I don't like it but at least they get paid for it. I also get making Wrestlemania an all day event since it's your Super Bowl and that has a million hours of pregame stuff. Why make a random B show last 4 hours plus the preshow? That's like you're punishing the fans at that point. All you're doing is tiring your crowd and potentially killing your main event, since the crowd is out of gas by then.

He should have made the point that the first ever female main event should be in a heated feud with a logical build instead of a feud that feels like it won't ever end and they've had 7 TV matches (not including tags) since March. Does anyone really want to see them have another match, regardless of gimmick and card position? It's the stalest feud in the company right now. Putting it in the main event can't change that.

It's not like the Universal Title feud is really any different. It's a rehashed Authority era "face of the company" storyline, where the feud is about who has the approval of HHH and Stephanie, except HHH can't even be bothered to come on TV to explain himself until football season is over.

It's not like the Universal Title feud is really any different. It's a rehashed Authority era "face of the company" storyline, where the feud is about who has the approval of HHH and Stephanie, except HHH can't even be bothered to come on TV to explain himself until football season is over.

Maybe they should just get rid of the term "main event". And "PPV". And "special event". How special is a 3-4 hour show every other Sunday when you have a 3+ hour show every Monday and a 2+ hour show every Thursday (including TS)? Up until about May of this year, Raw was actually longer than all the PPVs, that still went off the air 10-15 minutes early despite them having their own Network and conceivably being able to go until 2 in the morning if they really wanted to.

Maybe they should just get rid of the term "main event". And "PPV". And "special event". How special is a 3-4 hour show every other Sunday when you have a 3+ hour show every Monday and a 2+ hour show every Thursday (including TS)? Up until about May of this year, Raw was actually longer than all the PPVs, that still went off the air 10-15 minutes early despite them having their own Network and conceivably being able to go until 2 in the morning if they really wanted to.

I think the secret to enjoying WWE is not watching everything. Sometimes I watch the TV if it's building up to a big show or I have some time I want to kill, but generally I just watch the "special events" and anything particularly good that's pointed out online or in a podcast. I don't think you miss much this way, and most of the feuds are explained in video packages or on the preshow.

The pre shows are the most pointless programming I've ever seen. It's just an hour or more of Renee and crew trying to stretch 15 minutes of actual content as much as humanly possible. The only things of any value are the videos recapping the feuds and those get shown during the event itself.

To be fair, is it any different than opening acts at concerts?

"Dark" matches have been around since the start of the television era and I believe not exclusive to WWF events.

Also it is "free" content, just because its there, doesn't mean you have to watch. Except for the "panel" which is the Network version of the old "BUY THIS PPV" hype shows, its just harmless fluff to warmup the live crowd.

I think the secret to enjoying WWE is not watching everything. Sometimes I watch the TV if it's building up to a big show or I have some time I want to kill, but generally I just watch the "special events" and anything particularly good that's pointed out online or in a podcast. I don't think you miss much this way, and most of the feuds are explained in video packages or on the preshow.

Agree completely. There's so little that's wildly surprising/must-watch-live about the product that filtering through it is essential to me.