Pro Wrestling Only

FloSlam

Grimmas

The price rise is because they've ended the channel-specific subs (except for existing subscribers.) So like the annual price, the $30 now covers everything FloSport does.

I hope they aren't thinking that's a good justification for the price rise because for some reason I don't see much attraction in paying an extra $10 a month to see marching band.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also rubs the wrong way because the feed is far from technically impeccable, especially on live events. I assume I'd be looking at a price increase when my annual renewal comes up in the fall? If so, I doubt I'd renew, even though I want to support Evolve.

For them to up prices this much, and still not have a good search engine and simple things like skip ahead feature or bullet points on archived shows, or anything close to complete archives on their main brands....seems like a massive overreach.

It seems like people expected either PWG or ROH to jump in to make it a WWE Network Killer or somesuch thing, which was silly in retrospect since PWG doesn't do digital and Sinclair doesn't seem to care about ROH past it being cheap content for their stations.

ROH declined Flo's offer, so they must do ok on their own VOD sales.

The price rise is because they've ended the channel-specific subs (except for existing subscribers.) So like the annual price, the $30 now covers everything FloSport does.

I hope they aren't thinking that's a good justification for the price rise because for some reason I don't see much attraction in paying an extra $10 a month to see marching band.

I can see the idea of managing just one singular pool of subscribers, but the demographic differences don't let this mesh at all. And now they've created a $30 barrier to entry for new wrestling fans for their super niche product. While the WWE Network is $9.99. They've already exhausted the hardcores (who smartly have the $150 yearly - which i believe remains the price, a 60% savings over month to month, which seems like bad business but good for consumers) and have cut off any growth now.

Do they even have a free preview/trial? To offer a solution - they should model their pricing structure like Chikara does. Get your 7 days, rolls into the monthly sub, cancel anytime. Offer 3/6/12 month tiers (powerbombTV did this correct also).

I think where they're missing the mark, and RoH to a lesser extent, is that wrestling has been devalued by the streaming services. I'm a perfect example of that. If I can follow your promotion for $10 or less a month I'm going to pass. I have too many other quality options for $6-$10 a month. Why am I going to hand over $30 when I can put that money towards 3 or 4 other promotions and get more bang for my buck?

Yeah when you can get WWE for $10, NJPW World for about $8 (pending on exchange rates), and now NWA on demand for $6, who's going to jump to spend $30 for poorly shot indy feds and PPV live feeds that seem to have issues often.

My subs:

WWE Network - $9.99

New Japan World - $9.00

Chikaratopia - $7.99

Stardom - $7.00

So 4 dollars more a month and get complete access to these promotions and in the case of Chikaratopia, I get their entire back catalog and new shows for less than the price of a DVD.

And I don't have subscriptions but you can also sign up for Wave Network and DDT Universe for $8 or less each and the DDT service has 5 or 6 smaller promotions on there.

Man... I wasn't thrilled about their price anyway and at $30 there is a zero % chance I get in on that. I just subscribed to Progress and NWA on Demand Yesterday and I get both for like $13/month. I already have the WWE network. With all the other streaming services I could rotate in i am going to be a hard pass on floslam for the foreseeable future.

Man... I wasn't thrilled about their price anyway and at $30 there is a zero % chance I get in on that. I just subscribed to Progress and NWA on Demand Yesterday and I get both for like $13/month. I already have the WWE network. With all the other streaming services I could rotate in i am going to be a hard pass on floslam for the foreseeable future.

Keep us posted on what you watch (and think) on NWAonDemand.

• 3 months later...

It seems pretty clear from what's already been made public that WWN overstated their audience to FloSlam and entered their agreement under false pretenses. You can make a claim that Flo should have done more due diligence but I don't think "they should have known wrestling is filled with carny ass carnies" is going to fly in court as a defense.

If you're dumb enough to believe subscription numbers (5,000 LOL) from a carny whose shows can't draw 100 people in Chicago, you pretty much deserve to get ripped off. Guess that helps explain how they came up with that ridiculous price point. Who is Gabe's source of funding at this point? Would have to think they're getting sick of him, unless it's solely WWE wanting to see how guys work a crowd of 50 people before they sign them to NXT.

Would the people at FloSlam even know which shows would draw? They aren't a wrestling media company but all sports media company. I figure Gabe threw in a line about working with the WWE and they thought "well they are working with the WWE so they must be big"

I picture it is like basically every outside company that has worked with TNA. I mean did anyone in Panda Energy or Anthem knew who the fuck TNA was? Maybe Anthem because they had those Harris twins working. Probably the same thing with the FloSlam execs. Maybe I am completely wrong

Probably making it a million dollar lawsuit isn't going to help matters. Given the quality and history of WWN with FloSlam I can't believe this was close to 250K much less a million. But I guess aim high

Well the cost of WWN rights were PRETTY high.

This is so dumb and I love it. Gabe and Sal were given a real opportunity to make something work and they decided to cash checks until it all hit the fan. Gabe will lose out on working with the WWE.

Also, not sure how to explain how big it is. It was a multi-million dollar deal in pro wrestling which doesn't exactly happen a lot in this day-in-age. It is also happening with a promotion that is linked to WWE. Evolve is probably the most "notable" US indie which isn't a great sign of things but still stands. I don't see many wrestlers being all too hurt by this and I actually think it will help a lot of promotions that can't book these dudes because Gabe locks them up for dates at a lower cost than others would be willing to pay.

EDIT: FLOSLAM JUST YANKED EVOLVE OFF THE SCHEDULE FOR TONIGHT AND I ASSUME TOMORROW!!!

Gabe isn't working as a writer for NXT, I think it was just a case where he and a few of the promoters for other WWE-aligned indies (Jim Smallman from Progress was one) were observing the NXT process and perhaps adding feedback. WWN has been pretty clear that Gabe is still working for them. I think that's where Gabe wants to wind up for sure, but I don't think it's a lock by any means, and I can't help but think that this mess won't help him obtain full-time employment there. At some point, I have to think that WWN just isn't worth the trouble.

I think the issue with FloSlam and why it didn't ultimately work is that Flo put all of their eggs in the WWN basket. They needed a second marquee promotion doing live events monthly. They needed an ROH or a PWG (both of whom turned them down) or even an AAW. They needed at least 2-3 weekends a month of providing quality indie shows, and even with that, from a value perspective, it was going to be tough to justify the $19.99 price tag, but it could have at least appealed to a wider audience. With only EVOLVE, they're basically getting the people who bought the old EVOLVE iPPVs and that's it. It was a good deal compared to buying two EVOLVE iPPVs a month, but not a good deal compared to other streaming services on the market.