Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-01-19-WWE-Royal Rumble] HHH vs Scott Steiner

DMJ

So, I just watched this for the first time and expected an absolute shitshow, a match that just falls apart instantly between two guys who dislike eachother so much, they can't even stay professional for long enough to have a match.

Now, this is a below average match for sure - Triple H's unnecessary blading comes off as trying too hard, the layout of having the babyface dominate most of the match is questionable, Steiner's thong being as visible as Lita's is a tough image to deal with, and the finish is obviously angered the crowd - but, for years, I'd heard that this was one of the worst title matches ever and I just wasn't offended by it as much as I should've been. Poppa Pump botches an under hook powerbomb at one point but his suplexes (and he throws like a dozen of em) are all well-executed. The striking isn't much to write home about it from either guy, but it's not like they're egregious. Ric Flair's constant involvement is a plus to me and the post-match makes a rematch a desirable and common sense next step to the feud. As the second act of their feud, it's a serviceable 15 minutes.

Is the hate on this match based more on the hate of the two workers involved or did I just blink and miss what gave this match such a bad reputation? I'm gonna give it 2 stars on my blog and I know title matches should be better than that...but let's be honest, many aren't and few have a reputation as bad as this one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2003-01-19-WWE-Royal Rumble] HHH vs Scott Steiner