Pro Wrestling Only

Speculation on the WrestleMania 33 card

BigBadMick

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WM33 proposal: Finn Balor vs. AJ Styles

I like this as the only inter-brand singles match on the card.

The match was possibly teased in their backstage segment involving Gallows & Anderson at SummerSlam.

The direction would be that Styles gets dethroned by Chamber. He vows that even though he won't be in the WWE Title match at Mania, he'll still leave a mark.

Balor returns at Fast Lane and must earn a WM33 shot for his former Universal Title. Styles arrives and spoils it, then lays down the challenge for WM33 on TV that week.

Per Dave, Cena vs Taker is a 90% lock and Brock vs Goldberg 3 as well since someone finally convinced Vince that Goldberg is a bigger star than Shane.

Honestly I would've rather had Lesnar/Shane since we just had Lesnar/Goldberg and it would've been a crazy spectacle kind of match I'm sure.

For all the bitching there was around the internet about how Goldberg ruined Brock by squashing him at Survivor Series, nothing could make Brock look more ridiculous than having a competitive match with Shane McMahon. Brock/Shane would have to be even shorter than Brock/Goldberg was for it not to be dumb as hell. So I guess I'll have to be a huge fan of Golberg's return by default no matter how his Rumble appearance and Mania match go.

I could've seen it being a much shorter version of Shane/Angle as far as him getting ragdolled and tossed around.

With Shane/Lesnar off the table, does anyone think Shane still wrestles at Mania? Not sure of any other opponent for him really and maybe the mid-air spear at Survivor Series was the end of his in-ring career.

Maybe it's misdirected optimism but Shane has barely been on TV since Summerslam so I don't think they have anything big planned with him. I honestly don't even think his heart is in it that much anymore. But it's going to be tough to get him pushing ticket sales to such a large degree last year out of Vince's head

Observer:

Right now when it comes to WrestleMania while there are a lot of rumors and directions being stated, there are only three matches locked in, which are Brock Lesnar vs. Bill Goldberg, HHH vs. Seth Rollins and Big Show vs. Shaquille ONeal.

John Cena vs. Undertaker is a probable, but Vince McMahon was not locked on it. Also probable was a multiple person womens championship match on the Raw side. Right now when it comes to Undertaker, while it is likely Cena, the other opponent considered is Roman Reigns with the idea that Reigns is the future, Cena vs. Undertaker doesnt build the future, and this may be Undertakers last match. If they dont do Reigns this year, they may never be able to do it. Either way, if Cena and Reigns leave San Antonio as champions, it looks like Undertaker will challenge one of them in the main event.

The storyline of Undertaker no longer being defined by WrestleMania, may be a story of him entering and winning the Royal Rumble, to earn that shot, or challenging for a title, and the title win being the key. Or it could be Cena vs. Undertaker, which was scheduled for last year but fell through when Cena needed shoulder surgery. The match doesnt need a title attached to it, but the title would elevate the match to the main event position and elevate the title as well based on two of the truly biggest stars on the show being in the match.

It ended up being a fortunate break last year, because Vince McMahon thought out of the box and brought back Shane McMahon, and as silly as this sounds except its the truth, the Shane vs. Undertaker match was the biggest match on the show, and with the stips (not adhered to of course), it was far bigger than a Cena vs. Undertaker match would have been on that night.

As far as if they do Cena vs. Undertaker, whether that will be for the Smackdown title, that would make sense since Cena will challenge A.J. Styles for the title at the Royal Rumble. Given Styles having the edge on Cena in singles matches and Cena always evening up the score, it would seem to be his turn. On Smackdown, they were heavily pushing the idea of Cena as a 15-time champion, with the story of needing one win to tie Ric Flairs fake record of 16 (as noted before, you can interpret the Flair number many different ways, but the smallest number you can give is 18). Cena already failed once when going for that record.

This would make Undertaker a favorite for the Rumble along with Braun Strowman, since the winner of the Rumble should be the person who challenges for one of the two titles. If Reigns goes with Undertaker, the question becomes who would then go with Cena (or Styles if he retains).

Reigns could just as easily beat Kevin Owens at the Rumble to win the Universal title, and defend against Strowman, but if need be, he could also defend against Undertaker if the idea of the show is to build around Undertaker challenging for the title. Owens and Chris Jericho has been built for months and theyve dragged it out so it peaks at the right time, and WrestleMania would be that time.

Kind of disappointing that they probably aren't going to have a real women's feud on Raw going into Wrestlemania and are once again considering a multiwoman match for the title. I guess that means Bayley vs. Charlotte will be finished in 1 or 2 PPVs, with someone else interjecting to lead to the Mania match? On the more positive side, for whatever reason the multiwomen matches have been some of the more tolerable multiperson matches in recent memory. I'm sure it will at least be good as a match if it does happen.

I can see Sasha inserting herself and possibly going heel either before or at Mania. A title win at Mania will be 1 year too late, but it will be a nice cap while Bayley chases Sasha for a bit while Charlotte does something outside of the title picture. A program with a tweener (in this particular feud) Nia Jax might be something Charlotte needs to keep her character fresh and active outside the title picture. Toss in a potential Dana Brooke 'emancipation' angle and a 'climb-back-to-the-top' angle (where Charlotte has to run through Alicia Fox, Summer Rae, some unknown jobbers, all before retiring Paige), and WWE can easily keep Charlotte away from the title until Summer Slam to setup a meaningful title match vs. Bayley or with triple threat implications with both Sasha and Bayley involved in the mix. This a potential rematch from Mania to tie everything back in.

Braun needs a standout and star making match. The guy hasn't had one yet. He has had some outings where people have raised eyebrows and that is all good and all, but where is THE MATCH? Everyone eventually has one and I would hate for all this Sami stuff to lead to Braun being in the pre-show AMBR. Also, isn't it the right time to have the Cruiserweight Open II? I also really hope WWE doesn't feel that every title needs to be defended on the show. Its okay to stretch out the title defenses over the 4 day period.

• 2 weeks later...

Read a rumor over on CSS (so take it as you will) that Joe might be in for a monster push and get a big match at Mania. I for one am very much into that.

I feel like outside of Brock vs Goldberg (Edit: and HHH vs Rollins and probably Shaq vs big show) I am really at a loss for what to expect out of Mania anymore.

I read the same thing.

Speaking of which, I stumbled upon a list of talents that are currently in the "Terry Taylor Class", meaning they're about to get called up. Shinsuke Nakamura is on that list, along with Hideo Itami & Tye Dillinger.

Neither Joe, Bobby Roode, Eric Young & Austin Aries are listed but that's because their contracts doesn't require them to train at the WWE PC. So, it's not crazy to assume that Joe's callup is imminent. Especially since other than that dark match in which Chris Hero appeared, he didn't work any matches in the tapings.

Observer:

The WrestleMania show isnt finalized, but there is an idea on the table where Joe will debut with a major push and be in one of the top few matches on the show, which also makes it likely hes starting very soon and would have to have a big Rumble if hes in it.

There have been some changes made in WrestleMania plans as noted in recent weeks, with the major thing being that the proposed Undertaker vs. John Cena match is off the boards.

Vince McMahon changed his mind on the match, which was to be one of the two biggest matches in 2016, and at one point one of the top matches for the 4/2 show in Orlando.

The card will be clearer coming out of the Royal Rumble, on 1/29 in San Antonio. Undertaker, and whoever was to challenge for the Universal title on Raw, would have been Rumble favorites if the idea was to go with tradition and have the Rumble winner challenge for one of the two the major titles at Mania.

While connecting dots can come up with a pretty good idea of the show, the key things known is that Undertaker right now is not scheduled to challenge for either title on the show. He did appear on the 1/9 Raw show, after first arriving on Smackdown, because when he was on Smackdown, it was to build for him to face Cena. Now he will face someone on the Raw roster. There was a tease of Braun Strowman on Raw, but it will not be Strowman as things stand right now.

The key matches remain Brock Lesnar vs. Bill Goldberg, which based on current hints and direction looks likely to be presented as the main event on the show, HHH vs. Seth Rollins and Big Show vs. Shaquille ONeal.

There has been the long tease of Kevin Owens vs. Chris Jericho. With Jericho still on the books for touring over the summer, Mania seems like the place to finally do the match. They have just started teasing a split up of The Wyatt Family on Smackdown.

Roman Reigns will obviously be in one of the major matches on the show. This also leaves open spots for Cena, A.J. Styles, Finn Balor (who is expected to be back in action around March unless that date is a Rumble swerve, which it probably isnt) and Dean Ambrose. Ambrose and Miz is just starting as a program and timing wise I could see them building to a blow-off. But there is a tradition of the multiple person ladder match over the IC title as well, although I could also see them doing the first major show womens ladder match instead. If Jericho is to retain the U.S. title, that would seem earmarked for the Owens match, if that is the direction they continue.

There will be six or seven major main event level singles matches on the show, not including cruiserweights or women. The womens match is not finalized, but Charlotte vs. Sasha Banks vs. Bayley vs. Nia Jax is the current proposed main womans match.

Deduced so far:

Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar

Big Show vs. Shaquille O'Neal

Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens

Charlotte vs. Bayley vs. Nia Jax vs. Sasha Banks

Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton (vs. Luke Harper)

Seth Rollins vs. Triple H

Undertaker vs. Roman Reigns

Speculated:

John Cena vs. Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles

Dean Ambrose vs. The Miz

My preference outside the deduced:

The Miz vs. Shinsuke Nakamura

John Cena vs. Samoa Joe

Finn Balor vs. AJ Styles

I can't see how Goldberg vs Lesnar would close the show over Taker vs Reigns for the belt.

I would rather see Cena-Taker and Reigns-Lesnar for each of the belts, and Styles-Balor.

Have Lesnar win the Rumble eliminating Goldberg and Taker, then do Goldberg vs Reigns at Fast Lane and put him in the HOF Mania Wkend and/or vs Strowman.