Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-07-25-WWE-Raw] Roman Reigns vs Finn Balor

KawadaSmile

I like this match so damn much. It's, in my opinion, the best singles match Finn ever had in NXT/WWE, and actually one of his best matches overall. It's simple, short, and yet so effective.

The story is very clear and it starts very quickly - Roman's power is immense, with him just throwing Finn across the ring with ease. Balor, on the other hand, has to resort with quickness and a bit of leg work to keep a safe distance. Not only that, but it also puts a guy who was publicly shamed by his superiors - Steph called Reigns a loser after getting pinned by Ambrose at Battleground - against this plucky guy fresh off NXT.

Reigns also showed a little more vicious side in this match too, with more corner clotheslines, foot chokes, and just using his size advantage to it full potential, kinda like what he did against AJ earlier that year to wonderful results.

Despite all the bombs Reigns throwed at Finn, including a dope double powerbomb, he couldn't get the pin, leading to a good shot of him almost laughing, as if to recognize Balor was actually tougher than imagined. Afterwards, he is surprised by Balor and is pinned by a Coup de Grace.

Post-match, Reigns is interviewed, saying he respects Finn and wants to meet him again after he gets the Universal Title.

If anything could solidify Balor as a big star, or at least someone to pay attention to, this was it. He looked way more of a bigger star in this match, with a leather jacket and as the underdog than with years of facepaint and theatrical entrances.

• 2 months later...

Really like this match, and I'd agree it being the best thing I've seen from Balor. Just a very effective speed/power match. What's interesting to me is how Reigns worked around this time period. He sort of slips in and out of being a heel for major portions of matches. And it wasn't even subtle. It was on display in the Rollins MITB match where he trash talks him and practically bullies him for the first half of the match and it was on display here. I don't know if that was the case of WWE "punishing" him by taking some clean losses and they decided to have him work more heelish to protect that, but it kinda sucks that he more or less dropped that aspect of his character for the Rusev and Owens feuds.

• 1 month later...

There's a moment early on: Balor is in the corner, and Reigns comes running at him. Balor moves out of the way. Typical corner spot, and most guys would have smashed into the turnbuckles. Reigns doesn't. He's aware enough to throw out his arms and grab the ropes to catch himself before crashing.

It's just a little thing, but I really like what it says about his awareness and self-control in a match. He may be tossing Balor around, but he's not a mindless beast.

I don’t know how they were selling Balor at the time. But Reigns works like a heel a lot of times in this match. There are moments when his expressions remind me of Mark Henry – pissed off and dangerous. As the match goes on, Balor seems to figure out that he should use his superior speed and mobility instead of trying to go toe to toe. That first coup de grace to the back of Roman’s head is a thing of beauty. As is Reigns’ superman punch.

This match has perhaps too many 2.9's for my taste, but I get what they’re going for – and I like it. Balor comes out looking tough and smart, without Reigns looking weak.

(It occurs to me that the punch and the spear are great finishers – he can do them on just about anyone, regardless of size, and they’re high impact spots. Compare to Taker’s tombstone or AJ’s stylesclash, which are difficult-to-impossible with big opponents. Reigns’ choice has more in common with Hogan’s leg drop. It’s smart thinking when putting together the gimmick.)

• GSR changed the title to [2016-07-25-WWE-Raw] Roman Reigns vs Finn Balor