Pro Wrestling Only

Random Reasons why people stopped watching wrestling

Strummer

My best friend growing up stopped watching after Royal Rumble 92 because he thought Flair being in that long and winning was stupid.

If he only knew how often I revisited and enjoyed that match.....

Or how its still considered as one of, or the greastest Rumble matches of all time by many! ;)

Pretty sure Flair's time mark has been surpassed a few times, but also if he only knew how many more times they've gone to the well for the winner (or at least one of the final four competitors) to come from the first 5 entrants!

I'm seriously considering quitting the modern product again. I hadn't regularly watched WWE for years, I quit after Triple H went over Booker T at Wrestlemania 19. It wasn't just that Trips went over, it was the racist crap in the lead up to that match, Booker never getting revenge and then the whole deal with how bad Trips made Book look with the delayed cover. Left a really bad taste in my mouth, so I stopped watching WWE.

I started again around this past Wrestlemania, but...ugh. That show was gawd awful, and the brand split hasn't really done anything for me. I can't sit through three hours of Raw with Mick Foley and Stephanie, Owens as Champ, The New Day, and the way they've botched the Cruiserweight Division. I do like Jericho (up until the bell rings) but that's not enough to get me to watch that crap anymore. I don't mind SDL, it certainly goes by a lot quicker than Raw, but even still...the only big plus there for me is AJ Styles. And how many times do we have to watch him fight Dean Ambrose? This whole deal with James Ellesworth was mildly amusing for one segment of one show. Now? Ugh, change the channel.

I loved the CWC and I think I'll stick with NXT, but the writing on the main roster is so damn bland and uninspiring. There are no good stories being told. I think I'll go back to reading the results online and checking out the PPV's only. It's a shame. I guess if Joe or Nakamura gets called up, I would check that out, but right now otherwise, the creative is just so damn boring.

The sad thing is, ROH is just as boring and who the hell even knows what TNA is going to do. I will probably stick to my classics for a while, or find another indie to get into.

I stopped watching as a kid because I figured out it was fake. I was like 7 or 8. Got back into it 4 or 5 years later.

True you were 7-8, but that is pretty random. I mean its not like being told other competitive sports aren't on the level (though to be fair, instances of such are due to gambling and racketeering interests as opposed to making events more dramatic and crowd pleasing).

• 7 months later...

Ultimate Warrior Voodoo angle with Papa Shango. Was done for quite few years after that.

And the backdrop thing...interesting as when someone does a backdrop that's gonna work he goes down in sync with the rebound and it looks good. When the kick to the face spot is about to happen the guy getting kicked almost always sets up before the other guy is rebounding off the ropes or close to him.

If they did the kick spot the same as the actual backdrop spot it wouldn't be such a piss off to so many I suspect. However, doing it in proper sync would almost always mean there was an excellent chance the backdrop attempter was gonna take a real kick to the teeth...so I get why they set themselves early.

It just looks the shits.

Does anyone know of anyone else who quit watching because of the Rock n Wrestling-era WWF? Surely (depending where in the US they were) they had several other options to watch, but I wonder if there were fans so disillusioned by that stuff that they quit it entirely.

Wrestling actually lost a ton of fans during that time who were disillusioned with where everything was going. Luckily, they were replaced by far more fans who got into where wrestling was going, at least until the early 90s.

I think Vince had to know that type of product would turn off a lot of old time fans but it was clearly worth the risk. It's important to note that it was probably also the first time ever a promotion was specifically targeting kids. It's how I got into wrestling.

I can remember the Kayfabe Memories board having tons of discussion over this very topic

My best friend growing up stopped watching after Royal Rumble 92 because he thought Flair being in that long and winning was stupid.

At the time I hated it too because I wanted to see Hogan get the title back after Tunney screwed him over in the last match when Flair got involved. This was probably the first time on a WWE PPV a heel went over, but it didnt stop me watching because I wanted to see Hogan kick Flair's ass and take the title back, alough we had to wait 2 years later to get that and seeing Savage beat Flair was just as good.

But what I did find odd is when WCW closed down because they had alot of fans watching even when the numbers were down and they chose Nitro over Raw, I expected these fans to tune into WWE TV when WCW ended but seemed like they just stopped watching and wouldnt conform to a WWE fan.

I quit for a solid 5 years after the Benoit murders. It wasn't immediate but I gradually just stopped watching anything as it sucked any sense of fun out of it for me. I'm guessing that one doesn't count as random.

Slightly off topic and similar. I lost my love for football when Junior Seau committed suicide. Same deal, still watch games but I don't have the same passion for it anymore.

At the time I hated it too because I wanted to see Hogan get the title back after Tunney screwed him over in the last match when Flair got involved. This was probably the first time on a WWE PPV a heel went over, but it didnt stop me watching because I wanted to see Hogan kick Flair's ass and take the title back, alough we had to wait 2 years later to get that and seeing Savage beat Flair was just as good.

But what I did find odd is when WCW closed down because they had alot of fans watching even when the numbers were down and they chose Nitro over Raw, I expected these fans to tune into WWE TV when WCW ended but seemed like they just stopped watching and wouldnt conform to a WWE fan.

It really is one of the most under reported phenomenon in wrestling. A lot of WCW's base had ties going back to either Georgia or Mid Atlantic and the WWF was always the enemy or at best it was a style of wrestling they really didn't care for. When WCW went away it was the end of an era for a lot of folks when the wrestling they grew up with and loved ceased to exist.