Pro Wrestling Only

NWA Lutte Internationale December 1984

SirEdger

December 1st, 1984

Centre Paul-Sauvé, Montréal

-NWA International TV Champion Mad Dog Lefebvre (w/Frenchy Martin) beat Denis Goulet in 9:50

-Sika beat The Missing Link in 9:44

-NWA International Tag Team Champion Doug Somers (w/Sherri Martel) beat Gino Brito in 10:02

NWA Lutte Internationale TV

Taped at CHLT-TV Studios, Sherbrooke, QC

December 1st, 1984

dieu.jpg220px-Nwalogobw.jpg

(After the new opening credits debuted last week with the NWA logo, we go to the broadcast booth to kick off this week’s show)

Guy Hauray: Hello, wrestling fans and we welcome you to this week’s NWA Lutte Internationale TV. As we know, we’re now on the road to Starrcade in Greensboro, NC on Christmas Night and it’s with great pride that Lutte Internationale will take part of it. But this week should prove to be very interesting

Édouard Carpentier: Indeed as we’re scheduled to have yet another Falls Count Anywhere match, which has become George “The Animal” Steele’s speciality, as he’ll take on Carlos Colon in this one. And we also have the NWA International Heavyweight Champion action and ---wait a minute, what the...

(Carpentier is stopped in mid-track as Greg Valentine makes his way to the broadcast booth)

Greg Valentine: I apologize to interrupt you, Mr. Carpentier, but there is something that I need to tell the wrestling world right now. Now that Lutte Internationale is a member of the National Wrestling Alliance, I feel more than ever that it is an opportunity of a lifetime for anyone to be now known as the NWA International Heavyweight Champion. I wish I could say that this is my championship but unfortunately, it is no longer the case. But I do believe that I still can represent this territory and carry myself as a righteous champion. In fact, I’m still owed my rematch for the title and before 1984 ends, I want it. All I need is one more match with Rick Martel.

(While Valentine is finishing his sentence, Rick Martel walks to the broadcast booth with his wrestling gear and his ring jacket on, with the NWA International Heavyweight title belt around his waist)

Greg Valentine: Here you are, champ. So, are you giving me what I want or not?

Rick Martel (turning to Édouard Carpentier): Tu m’excuseras pour cette portion de l’entrevue, je vais la faire en anglais. (Translation : Sorry for this part of the promo but I’m gonna do this in English) Look, Greg, I don’t know what you’re planning here but it’s not gonna work. You sound desperate, man.

Greg Valentine: You damn right, I’m desperate! This, around your waist, this is my whole life! I worked my ass off during my entire career to be the heavyweight champion and I hate to see that you’re entering this new NWA era here in Quebec as the NWA International Heavyweight Champion! I hate it more than anything! I won’t rest until I get it back and you and I both know it!

(Rick Martel looks a bit more intense and a bit restless, like he’s expecting something uncharacteristic to Valentine’s nature)

Greg Valentine: Ok, man....if you don’t want to give me my title match today, how about a 6-men tag, Rick? I know that Dino Bravo & Jacques Rougeau are available and I’m fully aware you’ll pick them. I’ll find myself 2 other guys and let’s do this.

Rick Martel: Greg, let’s not kid ourselves. You’ve alienated yourself the entire Lutte locker room. Not even Frenchy’s Legion wants to do anything with you anymore. Not since Frenchy thinks that you failed him when you lost to Hulk Hogan in Toronto a few months ago.

Greg Valentine: Trust me, it’ll be a 6-men tag, I’ll find myself two partners!

Rick Martel (a bit incredulous): Alright, fine, you got a match!

(Both men walk away as Carpentier joins Guy Hauray back to the booth)

Édouard Carpentier: Well, Guy, this is something that really intrigues me here. Greg Valentine is ready to do anything to get just one more match with Rick Martel for the NWA International Heavyweight Championship.

Guy Hauray: Rick Martel wasn’t lying when he said that Valentine alienated himself the whole locker room, including Frenchy’s Legion. Valentine will have a hard time finding himself partners this week and I hope that it’s gonna be worth it for him. But before we get to that, we have lots of action so let’s get to it right now!

Match #1

Raymond Rougeau vs Pete Doherty

The broadcast team hype up the Rougeaus opportunity tomorrow night in Chicoutimi to qualify for an NWA World Tag Team Championship match at Starrcade. Poor Doherty is absolutely no match to a motivated Rougeau as Rougeau finishes him off with a Savate Kick to get the victory.

Winner: Raymond Rougeau

(As the match concludes, Raymond Rougeau goes to the broadcast booth to be interviewed by Édouard Carpentier)

Édouard Carpentier: Congratulations Raymond for this victory as a more important challenge awaits you tomorrow night at the Centre Georges-Vézina in Chicoutimi tomorrow night because you’ll face the winner of a 4-team match with an NWA World Tag Team Championship match at Starrcade on Christmas night in Greensboro, NC. What is your frame of mind going into tomorrow?

Raymond Rougeau: Je te mentirai pas, y a beaucoup d’excitation pour Jacques pis moi. Ça fait longtemps qu’on attend une opportunité comme celle-là pis on est juste à une victoire d’y parvenir. Quand on a su que Lutte Internationale devenait membre de la NWA, on savait que c’était notre but ultime de devenir champions du monde. On s’est promis que rien allait nous arrêter pis demain soir à Chicoutimi, au Centre Georges-Vézina, on a pas l’intention que ça ne se produise pas! (Translation : I won’t lie to you, there’s a lot of excitement for Jacques and I. We’ve been waiting a long time for an opportunity like this and we’re one victory away to make it happen. When we learned that Lutte Internationale would become an NWA affiliate, we knew that this was becoming our ultimate goal to become world tag team champions. We promised ourselves that nothing would stop us and tomorrow night in Chicoutimi, at the Centre Georges-Vézina, we’ll make sure that this won’t happen!

Édouard Carpentier: Obviously, we need to address the elephant in the room, Raymond. Do you wish that the Midnight Express win the 4-way match so you can beat them to advance to that showdown against the Fantastics?

Raymond Rougeau: Écoute, ce serait très satisfaisant pour Jacques et moi si c’était en battant les Midnight Express qu’on se qualifierait pour le combat contre les Fantastics à Starrcade mais quand tu regardes ça, on parle de 4 solides équipes : les Midnight Express de Jim Cornette, les Wild Samoans qu’on a failli battre pour les championnats par équipe, le Zambuie Express pis faut surtout pas sous-estimer Gilles Poisson pis Mil Mascaras. J’ai aucune idée de laquelle qui va nous affronter mais on sait qu’on peut tous les battre pis je vous garantis que les Rougeau s’en vont à Starrcade pis on devient les champions du monde! (Translation : Listen, it would be very satisfying for Jacques and I if we did beat the Midnight Express to qualify for the match vs the Fantastics at Starrcade but when you look at it, we’re talking about 4 solid teams : Jim Cornette’s Midnight Express, the Wild Samoans who we almost beat for the International Tag Team titles, the Zambuie Express and we can’t underestimate Gilles Poisson & Mil Mascaras. I have no idea who will face us but we know we can beat them all and I guarantee you that the Rougeaus are going to Starrcade and we become world tag team champions!)

(Raymond Rougeau returns backstage to a great response and Carpentier joins Guy Hauray at the booth)

Guy Hauray: Well, Eddie, looks like Raymond –and Jacques – are ready to possibly wrestle The Fantastics at Starrcade! The Rougeaus are always highly motivated but this is something huge for them.

Édouard Carpentier: Raymond is always motivated but there’s something in his eyes right now that I just can’t describe. The Rougeaus are now on a mission and they want to be the best tag team in the entire wrestling business. They can do it, no doubt in my mind.

Guy Hauray: We’ll keep you posted on the developments in the tag team division but when we come back, one half of Hot Stuff Inc – and NWA International Tag Team Champion – Doug Somers is in action!

******COMMERCIAL BREAK + PROMO FOR STARRCADE******

Match #2

Nord the Barbarian (w/Eddy “The Brain” Creatchman) vs Doug Somers (w/Sensational Sherri)

During the match, the broadcast team hype the possibility of having Hot Stuff Inc defend their titles against the Sheepherders at Starrcade. They also announce that tomorrow night in Chicoutimi, Robinson & Somers will be defending the NWA International Tag Team Championship vs Frenchy’s Legion members Richard Charland & NWA International TV Champion Mad Dog Lefebvre. Both men use their respective allies in the match to their advantage to distract the other but in the end, Nord the Barbarian hits Somers with the Big Boot, followed by his falling powerslam to get the upset win over Somers. The broadcast team talks now of Nord as a potential challenger to Mad Dog Lefebvre’s title soon.

Winner: Nord the Barbarian

*******COMMERCIAL BREAK********

Match #3

Falls Count Anywhere Match

Carlos Colon vs George “The Animal” Steele

Frenchy Martin is conspicuous by his absence yet again but this time, it’s because he’ll be involved in a 6-Men Tag Team Match later on today. Once again, this goes all over the place in the studio and the fact that Frenchy Martin isn’t there to direct traffic for The Animal makes him even more unpredictable as not even the referee can stop him to do whatever he wants. The finish comes when George Steele rams Carlos Colon’s arm in a hammerlock position twice on the ring post and then hits his Hammerlock Slam on the floor outside to secure the victory.

Winner: George “The Animal” Steele

******COMMERCIAL BREAK + PROMO FOR STARRCADE******

Guy Hauray: Welcome back to NWA Lutte Internationale TV. Before we move along to our next match, we will like to show you what went down during the Thanksgiving episode of World Championship Wrestling when the team of Mr. Wrestling II & NWA US Tag Team Champions Pat Patterson & Ray Stevens took on the team of Superstar Billy Graham and Barry & Kendall Windham. Some very despicable actions that will, I’m sure, have an impact on what will go down at Starrcade.

Édouard Carpentier: Indeed, Guy, the champs & Mr. Wrestling II showed no respect for their opponents on that night and what they did to the Windhams & Superstar Billy Graham was uncalled for.

Guy Hauray: We’re warning you as there is some graphic footage so viewer discretion is advised. Let’s go to the footage.

*****EXCLUSIVE FOOTAGE******

November 22, 1984

Thanksgiving Night

World Championship Wrestling TV Taping

Roanoke, VA

Civic Center

Six-Man Tag Team Match

Mr. Wrestling II, NWA United States Tag Team Champions Pat Patterson & Ray Stevens (w/ JJ Dillon) vs “Superstar” Billy Graham & Barry & Kendall Windham.

This was originally scheduled with Tully Blanchard as the third member of the team, but the board of directors decided to put a TV title match on the card, and thus the addition of Mr. Wrestling II here. This is a hot action, big time match. Both teams go back and forth. We head to commercial break.

COMMERCIAL BREAK 3

As we return. 24-Karat has cornered Kendall in their side of the ring and begin to work him over. Mr. Wrestling II gets tagged in and shows his cockiness as he works over the younger wrestler. II taunts Barry and Billy as he drops Kendall with a beautiful vertical suplex. But he only gets a two. Kendall is able to use the cockiness against him and drop him with a dropkick as he misses with a shoulder block. Kendall tags in Graham and now the powerful athlete starts to toss around his opponent's. This quickly turns into a pier-six brawl. All six men begin to brawl inside the ring. Superstar and II are alone in the ring. Superstar picks him up above his head with a military press. Patterson sneaks back into the ring, as JJ distracts the referee. He clips Graham from behind, and II falls onto him. Tommy Young turns around to count the three. Stevens sends Kendall to the ringpost and climbs into the ring. They attack Graham’s now injured knee. II slides out of the ring and kicks Barry as they champion's work over Graham. They are trying to break his leg. Stevens leaps off the ring ropes as Patterson holds him and lands a vicious knee across his leg. Barry is able to battle II off of him and grab a chair and rushes the ring. The champion’s bail, proud of their actions. They grab their belts and hold them high in the air as they leave ringside. Before we go to commercial, we see Kendall on the floor, bloodied and hurt. Graham is in the ring in a lot of pain, holding his knee.

Time: 17:52

Winners: Mr. Wrestling II, Pat Patterson & Ray Stevens

*********COMMERCIAL BREAK************

Match #4

Frenchy’s Legion (Frenchy Martin, Mad Dog Lefebvre & Richard Charland) vs Chicky Starr & The Wild Samoans

As expected, Frenchy Martin doesn’t do much in the match, as he avoids to get in the ring whenever Chicky Starr & the Samoans have the advantage. Quite the physical match between both teams. Eventually, Frenchy Martin gets too cocky for his own being and he gets in trouble with the opposite team, who take their turn into pummelling the leader of Frenchy’s Legion. Eventually, all hell breaks loose as all 6-men are in the ring and referee Luigi Macera loses control. Mad Dog Lefebvre ends up being alone in the ring with Chicky Starr and Lefebvre gets the victory for his team with a backbreaker.

Winners: Frenchy’s Legion

*******COMMERCIAL BREAK*******

(Before the main event, Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier hype a huge week of events for NWA Lutte Internationale as they’ll go in a streak of 5 consecutive days of events from December 5 to December 9, capping off with 2 joint shows with WWF on December 8-9 featuring a huge tag team tournament. But before that, Lutte will feature 2 events at the Montreal Forum & Maple Leaf Gardens on December 5 and 6. Hauray & Carpentier run the cards for both non-joint events)

December 5th event at the Montreal Forum

MAIN EVENT

NWA INTERNATIONAL TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

Hot Stuff Inc (Billy Robinson & Doug Somers, w/Sherri Martel) vs Gino Brito & NWA International Heavyweight Champion Rick Martel

SEMI-MAIN EVENT

The Zambuie Express (w/Eddy “The Brain” Creatchman) vs The Rougeau Brothers

George “The Animal” Steele (w/Frenchy Martin) vs Baron Von Raschke

The Spoiler vs Dennis Condrey (w/Jim Cornette)

Luke Williams vs Justice Dubois

+ The Caribbean Connection, Dino Bravo, Hercules Ayala , Rick Rude & more!

December 6th at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto

Matches so far:

THE RETURN OF BOB BACKLUND IN PREPARATION FOR HIS NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH AT STARRCADE VS RIC FLAIR

Bob Backlund vs UFO

Leo Burke & Baron Von Raschke vs The Missing Link & Doug Somers (w/Sherri Martel)

Gino Brito vs Gilles Poisson

Justice Dubois vs Raymond Rougeau

Luke Williams vs George “The Animal” Steele (w/Frenchy Martin)

+ Chicky Starr, Nord the Barbarian, Rick Rude & more!

MAIN EVENT

Match #5

Greg Valentine, Tito Senza & Serge Jodoin vs Rick Martel, Dino Bravo & Jacques Rougeau

The broadcast team hypes the fact that Valentine having 2 enhancement talents as his partners demonstrates how much people in the locker room hate Greg Valentine. In fact, Valentine won’t even get the opportunity to step in the ring during the match as Martel, Bravo & Rougeau take their turn pulverizing Senza & Jodoin. Eventually, Martel puts Tito Senza in a Boston Crab to make Senza tap out.

Winners: Rick Martel, Dino Bravo & Jacques Rougeau

(As Martel, Bravo & Rougeau celebrate together, Greg Valentine grabs the microphone on the broadcast table)

Greg Valentine: Rick! I told you that I wouldn’t let this go until you gave me one last chance at your NWA International Heavyweight Championship. This is too important for me to forget about this. If you’re a man of honor, like I know you are, Rick, you’re gonna give me this opportunity!

Rick Martel (grabbing the ring announcer’s microphone): You’re right, Greg. I am a man of honor. I am a fighting champion. This (pointing at the title belt) is the most prestigious title belt in this territory and I’ll defend it against any and every challenger. But knowing all of your dirty tricks from our days in Detroit, I’m doubting that you’ll let this go!

Greg Valentine: Oh, so, you want an incentive, now? Listen to me, Martel, you wanna know how bad I want this one shot? You wanna know how? Here it is: in 2 weeks, right here, in this studio, I’m asking for one last shot. The final chapter of our story, Rick. If I can’t beat you, then I don’t deserve to stay in this territory. I beat you, I’m entering the new year as the NWA International Heavyweight Champion. You beat me, I’m leaving for good! How does that sound like?

(Everyone seems to be surprised but both Bravo & Rougeau can’t seem to hide their pleasure at the possibility of Valentine leaving the promotion)

Rick Martel: You know what, Greg? We got a deal. You and me, in 2 weeks, on this show. You win, you’re the champ. I win, you’re gone. May the best man win.

(Martel puts the mic back on the broadcast table and leaves with Bravo & Rougeau while the show ends as Greg Valentine seems relieved that Rick Martel has accepted his challenge.)

20111012-052508-g.jpg

À LA SEMAINE PROCHAINE SI DIEU LE VEUT!

December 2nd, 1984

Centre Georges-Vézina, Chicoutimi, QC

-Tito Senza beat Charlie Cook in 12:59

Strap Match: Denis Goulet beat Pete Doherty in 10:24

4-Way Elimination Tag Match, Winners face the Rougeaus in the main event: The Zambuie Express (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat the Wild Samoans, the Midnight Express (w/Jim Cornette) & Gilles Poisson/Mil Mascaras in 17:32

Order of elimination:

-Gilles Poisson & Mil Mascaras

-The Midnight Express

-The Wild Samoans

-George Steele (w/Frenchy Martin) beat The Spoiler

-The Creatchman Family (Black Bart & Nord the Barbarian, w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat the Caribbean Connection in 10:24

NWA International Tag Team Championship: Hot Stuff Inc (w/Sherri Martel) beat Frenchy's Legion (Mad Dog Lefebvre & Richard Charland, w/Frenchy Martin) in 37:26 to retain

NWA World Tag Team Championship #1 Contenders Match: The Rougeau Brothers beat The Zambuie Express (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) in 48:46

While we may be pushing things a bit historically with the three corner matches and the 4 team elimination matches, I find it a lot of fun to read. I hope you don't take that the wrong way as I am most guilty of this and actually Love It!

Hindsight is 20/20 and we know what works and what doesn't. That elimination tag match would be an ESPN Instant Classic.

That was one tough night for the ZAMBUIE EXPRESS!

The wrestled Poisson & Mascaras, The Midnight Express, The Samoans and the Rougue Brothers in just over an hour of action. That alone makes them one of the best teams in the game right now.

Bockwinkle/Hogan in the WWF and Valentine/Martel in Lutte have my complete attention right now. These feuds would have me checking the local news stand each day for the latest edition of Pro Wrestling Illustrated.

I know that we're stretching things a bit when we do stuff like 3-way dances and 4-way dances and everything but since it's not something that is very frequent, I think we can get away with it. Of course, I could've gone the Gauntlet route but since I wanted Mil Mascaras to have a good showing in this one-off appearance, even if he & Gilles Poisson were the first team eliminated, I felt like the 4-Way elimination format was the best option.

I never take criticism in fantasy booking the wrong way, especially when it's positive criticism! ;)

December 5th, 1984

Forum de Montréal

forum1.jpg

-The Caribbean Connection beat Pete Doherty & Charlie Cook in 5:47

-Dino Bravo & Hercules Ayala beat Tito Senza & Serge Jodoin in 7:37

-Rick Rude (w/Sherri Martel) beat Buzz Tyler in 10:10

-Dennis Condrey (w/Jim Cornette) beat The Spoiler in 12:31

-The Rougeau Brothers beat The Zambuie Express (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) in 9:48

-George "The Animal" Steele (w/Frenchy Martin) beat Baron Von Raschke in 23:09

-Justice Dubois beat Luke Williams in 12:24

NWA International Tag Team Championship: Gino Brito & NWA International Heavyweight Champion Rick Martel beat Hot Stuff Inc (w/Sherri Martel) in 24:01 - TITLE CHANGE!

December 6th, 1984

Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, ON

aerial.gif

-Rick Rude (w/Sherri Martel) beat Buzz Tyler in 6:08

-Nord the Barbarian (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Charlie Cook in 7:26

-Chicky Starr beat Serge Jodoin in 8:33

-Bob Backlund beat UFO in 11:32

-Gilles Poisson beat NWA International Tag Team Champion Gino Brito in 17:40

-Luke Williams beat George Steele (w/Frenchy Martin) in 14:40

-Justice Dubois upsets Raymond Rougeau in 28:09

-Leo Burke & Baron Von Raschke beat The Missing Link & Doug Somers (w/Sherri Martel) in 65:44

December 7th, 1984

Centre Paul-Sauvé, Montréal

-The Zambuie Express (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Charlie Cook & Pete Doherty in 11:37

-Dino Bravo beat Denis Goulet in 6:23

-Luke Williams beat Buzz Tyler in 5:34

-Nord the Barbarian (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) beat Tito Senza in 11:30

-The Missing Link beat Dennis Condrey (w/Jim Cornette) in 14:54

-Black Bart beat Sheik Ali in 12:05

-George "The Animal" Steele (w/Frenchy Martin) beat Chicky Starr in 10:16

-Bob Backlund beat Greg Valentine in 15:30

December 8th, 1984

(After the opening credits, we go to Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier to kick off this week’s show.)

Guy Hauray: Hello, wrestling fans, and welcome to NWA Lutte Internationale TV. We’re in the middle of a gruelling stretch for our territory but if you attend any of our shows, you know that it is all worth it as you have the chance to witness wrestling history. If you were at the Montreal Forum on Wednesday night, you definitely did that as we have new NWA International Tag Team Champions as Gino Brito & and our reigning NWA International Heavyweight Champion Rick Martel have dethroned Hot Stuff Inc of Billy Robinson & Doug Somers as champions. So, it’s as a double champion that Rick Martel will enter this weekend’s joint shows with the WWF as we’re having an interpromotional tag team tournament.

Édouard Carpentier: And whoever wins it, it’s anyone’s guess because when you look at the depth of that tournament, I think that any team involved could win it. It’s a matter of who will be able to carry the momentum around in this tournament.

Guy Hauray: We’ll see if new NWA International Tag Team Champion Gino Brito will be able to carry that momentum on to this week’s tapings since Brito will take on Baron Von Raschke and The Missing Link in a 3-Way Dance! But first, we have Frenchy’s Legion member Richard Charland in action in our opening bout!

Match #1

Pete Doherty vs Richard Charland (w/Frenchy Martin)

During the bout, the commentary team hype the incident last week that saw Richard Charland almost break Jacques Rougeau’s neck during a match after a piledriver on the outside of the ring. They hype now Charland as someone trying to emulate his tag team partner & NWA International TV Champion Mad Dog Lefebvre. Lo and behold, it doesn’t take too long for Charland to try to replicate what he tried to do with Jacques Rougeau last week. Charland hits the piledriver on Doherty and the poor enhancement talent is knocked out cold. Charland gets the easy countout victory.

Winner: Richard “Le Magnifique” Charland by countout

(As soon as the match ends, Richard Charland heads to the broadcast booth. Édouard Carpentier gets up to interview Richard Charland.)

Richard Charland: Pas besoin de vous lever, m’sieur Carpentier, ce sera pas long. Depuis la semaine passée, tout ce que j’entends c’est « Richard Charland a essayé de finir la carrière de Jacques Rougeau », « Richard Charland a essayé de mettre Jacques Rougeau dans une chaise roulante » , « Richard Charland astheure est un sauvage »…Personnellement, j’en ai rien à foutre de ce que les gens pensent. Les fans peuvent être heureux tant qu’ils veulent que j’aie manqué mon coup mais à chaque fois que le p’tit Rougeau se regarde dans le miroir pis qu’y se frotte le cou parce que ça y fait mal; quand y va monter dans le ring tantôt pour son combat pis que ça va lui faire mal; quand y va lutter en fin de semaine dans le tournoi par équipe pis que ça va y faire mal; quand il va monter dans le ring à Starrcade pour affronter les Fantastics pour les championnats du monde par équipe pis qu’il va se tordre de douleur, tout ce que Jacques Rougeau va se dire c’est une chose : c’est Le Magnifique qui m’a fait ça. Ça, c’est le plus beau trophée que je pourrai jamais avoir dans ma carrière. Peut-être que Mad Dog Lefebvre pis moi on est pas champions par équipe mais contrairement aux Rougeaus à Starrcade, mon partner et ami Mad Dog Lefebvre va repartir de la Caroline du Nord comme un champion après avoir défendu son titre contre The Missing Link avec succès pendant que les p’tits Rougeaus vont retourner à St-Sulpice en braillant parce qu’ils vont avoir fait honte à leur famille! HAHAHA!

(Translation : No need to get up, Mr. Carpentier, it won’t be long. Since last week, all I’m hearing is that “Richard Charland tried to end Jacques Rougeau’s career”, “Richard Charland tried to put Jacques Rougeau in a wheelchair”, “Richard Charland now is a savage”....Personally, I don’t care what people think of me. Fans can be happy all they want about me not crippling Rougeau but each time he’s looking at himself in the mirror rubbing his neck; when he’ll step into the ring later in the show and he’ll be hurting; when he’ll wrestle this weekend in the tag team tournament and he’ll be hurting; when he’ll step inside the ring at Starrcade to wrestle the Fantastics for the NWA World Tag Team Championships and he’ll be in total pain, all Jacques Rougeau will tell himself is this: Le Magnifique did this to me. This is the best reward I’ll ever have in my career. Maybe that Mad Dog Lefebvre and I aren’t tag team champions but as opposed to the Rougeaus at Starrcade, my partner and best friend Mad Dog Lefebvre will leave North Caroline still a champion after defending his title against The Missing Link while the Rougeau boys will go back crying to St-Sulpice because they’ll have shamed their family! HAHAHA!)

(Richard Charland retreats backstage, visibly with no remorse about almost breaking Jacques Rougeau’s neck last week.)

Édouard Carpentier: I used to know that young man and it’s a far cry from the kid that broke in the business a few years ago. But that’s what happens when you hang around with someone as despicable as Mad Dog Lefebvre.

Guy Hauray: We’ve seen that Mad Dog Lefebvre has this nickname for a reason as he’s absolutely ruthless and that aggression has now carried over to his tag team partner Richard “Le Magnifique” Charland. He might be right about the physical condition of Jacques Rougeau as he’ll be in action later tonight but we have to wonder how will every team facing the Rougeaus until Starrcade will approach this, knowing the target on Jacques’ neck. We know that The Fantastics have a sportsmanlike approach to every contest but not the same can be said about everyone else. When we come back, some tag team action!

******COMMERCIAL BREAK******

Match #2

Buzz Tyler & Charlie Cook vs Norvell Austin & Rick Rude (w/Jim Cornette & Sherri Martel)

During the match, the broadcast team teases a possible alliance between Jim Cornette’s Midnight Express and Sherri Martel’s Hot Stuff Inc as we see members of both stables working together. Austin and Rude seem to work very well together as a tag team and both Cornette & Sherri seem pleased with what they’re seeing. Eventually, Rick Rude ends the match with the Rude Awakening on Charlie Cook to score the pinfall victory.

Winners: Norvell Austin & Rick Rude

(As the winners step outside of the ring, Jim Cornette & Sherri Martel hijack the broadcast booth to speak their mind)

Jim Cornette: I know that a lot of people are rejoicing that your precious Rougeaus are heading to Starrcade to face The Fantastics for the NWA World Tag Team Championship and while I can assure you that my Midnight Express would’ve wiped the floor with those sorry excuses that call themselves champions. But the fact of the matter is this, if somehow, you win those titles, you know that the first team in line to take those titles away from you will be Loverboy Dennis & Ravishing Randy. And I can assure you that your reign will be short-lived and the NWA will have a REAL tag team to be proud of as NWA World Tag Team Champions!

Sherri Martel: As for Gino Brito & Rick Martel – thank God, we’re not related! - , you guys got lucky last Wednesday night to beat Hot Stuff Inc. Everyone knows that Billy Robinson & Doug Somers is the most sensational tag team in this territory and it’s only a matter of time before we get those titles back! I’ll be damned if we don’t head into Starrcade as the NWA International Tag Team Champions and trust me when I say this, I’ll...no....WE will do everything in our power to regain those belts. Mark my words, Brito & Martel, you two are dead men walking!

(Cornette & Sherri quickly retreat with their respective protégés as Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier are now discussing what they just witnessed)

Guy Hauray: We’ll never accuse Cornette & Sherri to not share their true feelings to certain situations, Eddie. They’re not happy with the current tag team situation; the NWA International Tag Team title picture AND the NWA World Tag Team title picture!

Édouard Carpentier: We can assume that Hot Stuff Inc will get their rematch soon down the line but nothing could be more unsure for the Midnight Express, although there’s so much bad blood between them and The Rougeau Brothers that if the Rougeaus win the NWA World Tag Team titles at Starrcade, they almost have to put them on the line against The Midnight Express.

Guy Hauray: That’s what we’ll soon see but coming up next, speaking of the Rougeaus, Jacques Rougeau is in singles action, next!

**********COMMERCIAL BREAK + STARRCADE PROMO**********

Match #3

Jacques Rougeau vs Chicky Starr

During the match, the broadcast team discusses the recent in-ring scare Jacques Rougeau had at the hands of Richard Charland last week and they wonder if Jacques is at 100% heading into the final stretch before Starrcade. Chicky Starr obviously knows it and while remaining within the guidelines & rules of the squared circle, Starr works on Jacques’ neck and head throughout the entire match. The end comes eventually as Chicky Starr delivers a piledriver on Jacques Rougeau and it definitely seems like Jacques is in serious pain, clutching his head. Even Chicky seems to be worried about his opponent’s head. Referee Adrien Desbois seeing that Jacques is struggling to get to his feet, he decides to stop the match, despite Jacques’ protest. Chicky apologizes to Jacques but Jacques can’t help to evacuate his frustration by kicking the bottom rope and exits the ring in disgust.

Winner: Chicky Starr (referee stoppage)

(Jacques Rougeau exits the ring and Édouard Carpentier goes to talk to him)

Édouard Carpentier: Jacques, I’m sorry to bother you right now but we’re all worried about your head, following that incident with Richard Charland last week. Charland himself said that he deliberately tried to end your career. Now we’re all wondering if you’re really OK.

Jacques Rougeau: Monsieur Carpentier, malgré tout le respect que je vous dois, y a pas d’inquiétude à se faire, ma tête va bien, j’ai juste été sonné un peu pis Chicky Starr m’a juste pincé solide, c’est toute. En ce qui concerne Richard Charland, je lui réglerai son cas ben assez vite. Personnellement, l’arbitre a arrêté le match quand il aurait pas dû, j’étais prêt à continuer. Mais ce qui est fait est fait pis je peux pus regarder en arrière. Édouard, si ma tête était pas correcte, j’aurais pas accepté d’affronter les Sheepherders dans un Street Fight avec mon frère Raymond pour Mid-Atlantic la semaine prochaine. Pis j’aurais sûrement pas accepté d’affronter les Midnight Express 2 jours plus tard à London, à une semaine de Starrcade. Je peux te garantir que tout va bien pis que rien va empêcher les Rougeau de ramener les ceintures de la NWA au Québec à Noël!

(Translation : Mr. Carpentier, with all due respect, there are no worries here, my head is fine, I was just rattled a bit and Chicky Starr just got me good, that’s it. As far as Richard Charland is concerned, I’ll get him soon enough. Personally, I think that the referee stopped the match when he shouldn’t have, I was ready to go. But what is done is done and I can’t look back. Édouard, if my head wasn’t OK, I wouldn’t have accepted to face the Sheepherders in a Street Fight with my brother Raymond in Mid-Atlantic next week. And I surely wouldn’t have accepted to wrestle the Midnight Express 2 days later in London, 1 week away from Starrcade. I can guarantee you that everything’s fine and nothing will keep the Rougeaus from bringing back home the NWA World Tag Team Championship for Christmas!)

(Jacques Rougeau is going back to the locker room, cheered by the crowd)

Édouard Carpentier: I won’t lie, Guy, I’m a bit worried for Jacques, he has to be careful. I know that the Fantastics aren’t rulebreakers but both the Sheepherders and the Midnight Express – especially the Midnight Express – won’t be that nice to him. They’re both hoping for a shot at the NWA World Tag Team Championship soon and if they can take the Rougeaus place, that’d be even better for them.

Guy Hauray: We definitely hope that Jacques Rougeau will take care of himself and be extra careful in his preparation for Starrcade on Christmas night. When we come back, it’s our main event with a 3-Way Dance!

********COMMERCIAL BREAK*********

MAIN EVENT

Match #4

Gino Brito vs Baron Von Raschke vs The Missing Link

Once again, the broadcast team hypes Gino Brito & Rick Martel’s title win earlier this week against Hot Stuff Inc and they explain Brito not having the belt with him by the NWA providing a new set of redesigned belts for Lutte Internationale. Mid-way through the match, NWA International TV Champion Mad Dog Lefebvre makes his way to the broadcast booth and sits down with them to call the match. Gino Brito shows some heart but he’s clearly disadvantaged, compared to Baron Von Raschke & The Missing Link. Mad Dog clearly states that he doesn’t care who he faces at Starrcade for his TV title and he promises that he & Richard Charland will take the titles away from Gino Brito & Rick Martel. The end of the match comes as Baron Von Raschke is able to neutralize Gino Brito with the Claw but The Missing Link headbutts Von Raschke from behind to make him relinquish the hold. The Missing Link then uses The Final Solution to get the victory over Von Raschke. Quickly, Mad Dog Lefebvre jumps from his seat and slides in the ring to attack Link with his belt...but Link welcomes him with a headbutt as well! Mad Dog Lefebvre is shaken on the mat and the show ends with The Missing Link looks at the NWA International TV Championship, grabbing it and swinging it around over his head.

Winner: The Missing Link

20111012-052508-g.jpg

I like how you are working closely with the NWA. Gives Lutte some added power as a big time promotion. Also love your creativity and how you keep developing all your angles. I must say that the Missing Link victory surprised me and that it what makes Lutte so fun to read.

Wonder how Jacques will heal in time for his next big match.

Starrcade 84 should be great!

December 14th, 1984

Forum de Montréal

forum1.jpg

This was a closed circuit special presentation taking place after a Montreal Canadiens game since this match was taking place at the Civic Center in Albany, GA for Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling

Street Fight: The Sheepherders beat the Rougeau Brothers in 39:42

December 15th, 1984

(After the NWA opening credits, we go to the broadcast booth for the opening of the show)

Guy Hauray: Hello, wrestling fans, and welcome to a jam packed edition of NWA Lutte Internationale. Today is the big day as we’ll witness the final showdown between NWA International Heavyweight Champion Rick Martel and Greg Valentine with the title on the line. And one would think that the champion would come into this match with all the momentum but it isn’t the case, Eddie.

Édouard Carpentier: Indeed, Guy, as last week, during the joint WWF/Lutte event at the Forum, Greg Valentine picked up a controversial victory by countout, thanks to that runt Jimmy Hart, who held Rick Martel’s outside to make sure he wouldn’t come back in time. So, naturally, this has to stick into the champion’s mind coming into this.

Guy Hauray: Although this week, there’ll be no outside interference since promoter Frank Valois has banished everyone other than Rick Martel & Greg Valentine from ringside during this match and he wants a clear winner. So, we will truly get an undisputed end to this rivalry that has been going for almost 2 years now, going back to their days in Detroit. But tonight is also all about the preview for Starrcade as everyone involved will be jocking for positions going into that event in Greensboro, NC. We’ll kick this off right away with a 6-Men Elimination Tag Team Match!

Match #1

6-Men Elimination Tag Team Match

The Midnight Express & Nord the Barbarian (w/Jim Cornette & Eddy “The Brain” Creatchman) vs Dino Bravo & The Caribbean Connection

At the beginning of the match, the broadcast team announces that all 6 men will take part in that 2-ring battle royal with $100,000 in price to its winner. While the Bravo/Connection team seem to be a natural fit, the trio of Condrey/Rose/Nord seem to surprisingly gel well all things considered. However, the Creatchman Family rookie is the first man to be eliminated as Dino Bravo eliminates Nord first with a beautiful sunset flip. Up next, the tag teams are featured and even though the Porto Ricans are doing a great job in the ring, the Midnight Express are being dominant. Up first, Chicky Starr gets eliminated, thanks to the Double Goozle and Randy Rose getting the pin. Then, Carlos Colon comes in the ring to fight with Dennis Condrey and after attempting a sunset flip of his own, Condrey collapses on Colon and uses the ropes (and Jim Cornette’s arms) to get the victory. It’s now down to The Midnight Express vs Dino Bravo. The crowd strongly behind their favourite, Bravo mounts an epic comeback and is about to eliminate Dennis Condrey after his backbreaker but Jim Cornette climbs on the apron and tosses his racket to Randy Rose, who smacks Dino in the back with it! Rose gets rid of the smoking gun and drapes Condrey’s arm over Bravo’s prone body and the referee counts to 3 to get the victory. Jim Cornette celebrates like he just has won the NWA World Tag Team Championship! The broadcast team discusses how much momentum the Midnight Express has now going into Starrcade.

Winners & survivors: The Midnight Express

******COMMERCIAL BREAK******

Match #2

Buzz Tyler vs Leo Burke

During the match, the broadcast team also confirms that Leo Burke will be a part of the Starrcade battle royal. The Maritimes veteran makes short work out of Buzz Tyler, picking up the submission victory with a sleeper hold.

Winner: Leo Burke

****COMMERCIAL BREAK + TV PROMO FOR STARRCADE****

Match #3

Doug Somers (w/Sherri Martel) vs Luke Williams

Despite Hot Stuff Inc no longer being the NWA International Tag Team Champions, the broadcast team that their scheduled tag team match will still take place at Starrcade, being a regular tag team match. The broadcast team praised the growth of Doug Somers as a performer since being paired with Sherri Martel and how much he and Billy Robinson have done very well together. That doesn’t prevent Luke Williams to control most of the match and one half of the Sheepherders thought to be well on his way to a victory. But that was until Sherri Martel climbed on the ring apron and “slipped”, pretending to have injured her ankle, drawing the referee’s attention. That brought Billy Robinson to the ring to attack Luke Williams but Butch Miller came in and both teams brawled on the outside. Eventually, as referee Luigi Macera was trying to send Robinson & Miller backstage, Sherri tosses a spray can to Somers, who sprays it in Williams’ face. Somers pins Williams to get the victory.

Winner: Doug Somers

****CONFIRMED FOR STARRCADE****

Hot Stuff Inc (Billy Robinson & Doug Somers) vs The Sheepherders

*****COMMERCIAL BREAK******

Guy Hauray: Before the start of our main event, we would like to confirm that at Starrcade, stemming from last week’s main event, Mad Dog Lefebvre will be defending his NWA International TV Championship against The Missing Link. Mad Dog has promised that this will the Link’s only shot at him as he refuses to give this “madman” more opportunities than he deserves.

Édouard Carpentier: Personally, the unpredictability of The Missing Link plays in his favour. Mad Dog has been a tremendous International TV Champion so far but he may have found his match in The Missing Link. So perhaps that the Link only needs one shot at Lefebvre to win his title.

Guy Hauray: Also, this weekend marks the beginning of our Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling affiliates’ appearances in our weekly live event shows. Tonight and Sunday, it will be the current NWA US Tag Team Champions and 24-Karat members Ray Stevens & Pat Patterson who’ll be in action on both nights. Tune in next week to find out which MACW superstars will join us for our next live events! And the time has finally come for our biggest main event ever. One last time, Rick Martel vs Greg Valentine for the NWA International Heavyweight Championship. Greg Valentine needs to win the title or else,he’s gone from the territory! Here we go!

******CONFIRMED FOR STARRCADE******

NWA INTERNATIONAL TV CHAMPIONSHIP

Mad Dog Lefebvre (w/Frenchy Martin) vs The Missing Link

MAIN EVENT

Match #4

NWA INTERNATIONAL HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

Greg Valentine (challenger) vs Rick Martel ©

Needless to say, there is A LOT of tension & excitement as both champion & challenger are facing off as senior referee Adrien Desbois goes through the rules of the match. Each man retreat to their respective corners and the bell finally rings. The fans in attendance are firmly behind the champion but Greg Valentine is very focused on the task at hand and doesn’t let the crowd get to him. The first moments of the match are spent with both grapplers testing each other and see who could get in the other’s head. Rick Martel’s speed can only be matched by Greg Valentine’s in-ring savvy and deviousness. The crowd goes nuts at every Rick Martel move and is incensed at every one of Greg Valentine’s illegal tactics. The turning point of the match in favour of Valentine comes when Martel attempts a cross body block but Valentine ducks and Martel finds himself tangled in the ropes, hanging upside down with his left foot trapped between the middle and the top turnbuckle. That allows Valentine to start working on Martel’s knee and he’s relentless in it. Martel is writhing in pain at every shot Valentine takes on his knee and foot. The broadcast team notices that Valentine is evidently trying to set up Martel for his Figure-Four Leglock. And then....it happens. When he feels the moment is right, Greg Valentine slaps in the Figure Four on Martel and he puts all of the pressure on Martel’s wounded leg. Martel is fighting the urge to tap out and Valentine increases the pressure on Martel. The crowd is more than ever behind the champion and Martel starts crawling towards the ropes. With the fans fully supporting him, Martel is miraculously able to grab the bottom rope and Valentine is forced to relinquish the hold. The desperation in Greg Valentine’s face is now clearly evident as Valentine really thought that he had his title won back. Valentine drags Martel back in the middle of the ring and attempts to slap the Figure Four a second time but Martel counters and pushes Valentine, who’s colliding with referee Adrien Desbois! Desbois goes down hard and Valentine realizes that this is his best (and probably last) chance to win the title. Valentine steps outside and removes the ring announcer from his chair, bringing it in the ring. Valentine positions the chair between two turnbuckles in a corner and goes to pick up Martel who’s moving around gingerly. Valentine whips Martel in the corner...but Martel reverses and Valentine’s back collides with the chair! Valentine goes down and the crowd goes nuts as Martel struggles to move around and kick the chair away from the ring. Martel then drags Valentine in the middle of the ring and he puts the challenger into his Boston Crab! Valentine is now screaming in pain and referee Adrien Desbois is coming back to his senses. Desbois moves around to check on Valentine and asks him if he wants to quit. Valentine is fighting as hard as he can...but the pain has become too much and Valentine signals that he quits! The referee asks for the bell and it’s over! Rick Martel has retained! Martel sits in a corner, trying to recuperate while a dejected Greg Valentine looks at the referee handing over the NWA International Heavyweight Championship to the champion. Martel uses to get back up and Valentine musters the strength he has left to do the same. Once again, the studio becomes tense as Martel & Valentine stare at each other one more time. After a few seconds, Valentine extends his hand to Martel in sign of respect....and the champion shakes it! The crowd applauses are filling the studios as Valentine keeps his word and bids farewell to Lutte Internationale in an act of honor and sportsmanship, as duly noted by the broadcast team. The show goes off the air as Rick Martel celebrates perhaps his toughest title defense ever, now able to look forward to his grudge match with Samu at Starrcade.

20111012-052508-g.jpg

December 15th, 1984

Ajax-Pickering, ON

-Sika beat NWA US Tag Team Champion Pat Patterson in 16:35

-Bob Backlund & Justice Dubois beat The Zambuie Express (w/Eddy "The Brain" Creatchman) in 13:49

-Rick Rude & Greg Valentine (w/Sherri Martel) beat The Caribbean Connection in 10:39

NWA International Tag Team Championship: Gino Brito & NWA International Heavyweight Champion Rick Martel beat NWA International TV Champion Mad Dog Lefebvre & Richard Charland (w/Frenchy Martin) in 44:26 to retain

-NWA US Tag Team Champion Ray Stevens beat Hercules Ayala in 10:41

-Billy Robinson (w/Sherri Martel) beat Baron Von Raschke in 24:10

Steel Cage Match: Afa beat Jacques Rougeau in 46:41