Pro Wrestling Only

[2006-02-19-WWE-No Way Out] Randy Orton vs Rey Mysterio

Superstar Sleeze

Randy Orton vs Rey Mysterio - WWE No Way Out 2006

"C'mon Randy, he's a midget." - Fan in front row

There's nothing novel about this match, but I thought it was an excellent execution based on traditional wrestling fundamentals. I thought Orton gave an excellent performance of a despicable slimeball heel. Definitely one of his best performances of 2003-2007, wrestling was moving away from traditional heels, but Orton really did a great job in this one. He was so cocky in looming Rey over with his size and manhandling him. Those shit-eating grins were perfect. You really wanted to see him eat a boot to the face. That's exactly what you got out of the short Rey shine. Rey ended up crashing and burning on a reverse crossbody. Orton was just great at first with his clobbering assault. Rey got a nice hope spot in with a swift kick to the head. I thought Orton was great at bumping and selling in this match giving enough for Mysterio on offense throughout to make the comeback credible. Who is this Orton and why couldn't we get more of him? Off that hope spot, Orton powders and this leads him to catch Mysterio and smash him into the post. Rey did a great job selling the shoulder and Orton was tenacious and violent working it over. I cant believe Im writing this but this was a superb Orton heat segment and it was not just because of Mysterio's selling and hope spots. Orton was great on offense and great bumping for the hope spots! Honestly, thought the Rey comeback starting with a sunset flip from the top rope was a little tepid and there was a miscommunication on at least one spot. Mysterio did seem to draw some blood hardway. I don't think it built to too much of a fever pitch. Orton's dropkick of Mysterio's coming off the top was fucking awesome! That actually could have been a badass highspot early but this late into the match I thought it was too easily blown off and lost some of its consequence. Mysterio avoids the RKO and Orton avoids the 619. Orton schoolboys Mysterio and wins his spot at WrestleMania. What a fucking punk move!

First 2/3s was awesome perfect Orton heel performance and Rey Rey was consummate babyface. Just didn't feel they kicked into overdrive in the finih. Thought the finish suited Orton's character perfectly. I would say a top 5 Orton match of all time. ****

• GSR changed the title to [2006-02-19-WWE-No Way Out] Randy Orton vs Rey Mysterio