Kevin Owens

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 FMKK

FMKK
  • Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:02 AM

It has been over a year since I made this thread, and we are almost in 2018. How much has changed? Is KO one of the least interesting acts in WWE right now? He's been put in prominent positions since his debut yet just cannot have engaging matches or promos.

Raw was the inferior show to Smackdown when he was the top heel for months on end, now he's switched and Smackdown is the inforior show to Raw with him as the top heel for months on end. Can't be a coincidence. There are obviously other factors too but he's fundamentally uninteresting as a worker or a promo as far as I'm concerned.

He's also had AJ Styles worst series in WWE by some distance, only rivalled by the awkward Jericho stuff right at the start of his run that I blame entirely on Jericho. As far as I can see, Owens still living off the fumes of being put over big by Cena a couple of years ago as well as his tandem with Jericho in 2016. He doesn't have much else on his WWE resume outside of that.

He's been less effective in his role as the top heel of the brand this year than Jinder Mahal, and that is t an exaggeration.

#22 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1666 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:02 PM

I had the same exact thoughts this morning when I watched Smackdown.  I have enjoyed his character stuff since he got paired with Zayn (probably more from nostalgia than anything, TBH), but I can't remember the last good match he had.  He is likely my favorite indy guy ever but he has been mostly sub-par in WWE.

#23 Isae Arreola

Isae Arreola

The Large Canine

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 09:04 PM

Kevin Owen's 2017 has been an incredibly mixed bag. He's shown flashes of greatness in some instances, but the majority of his performances this year have been flat to just plain bad.

His feud with AJ Styles this past summer was quite bad. It's shocking to see two wrestlers of their caliber have little to no chemistry together in the ring. Their series of matches were overall forgettable, with only their first match at Backlash being remotely good. His heel work in that series wasn't interesting at all and featured his more annoying tendencies such as the headlocks and emphasis on nearfalls over garnering heat from the crowd. Not to mention his whole "Face of America" run was some of his worst work on the main roster so far - a completely dull and uninspired foreign heel gimmick.

As of now, I'm not sure what to make of his pairing with Sami Zayn. I haven't seen enough of their segments because SmackDown as a whole has honestly been very uninteresting this year, but from what I've watched, they are leaning heavily on comedy and being obnoxious rather than actual engaging heel work. The comedy doesn't always land for me and I'm not looking forward to them getting their comeuppance just for being annoying. Now that their program with Shane is coming to a close, I think, it seems like Owens & Zayn are moving up to a feud with AJ for the Rumble, which I don't have high hopes for.

While he's had plenty of lows this year, he's had some really good moments. The break-up with Chris Jericho was very well done, along with his promo the following week. His first appearance on Talking Smack (Rest in Peace) after the Shake-Up was great. And the beginning of the Shane McMahon feud was very good, including the segment with Vince McMahon. Owens has the capability to produce some good work. He's definitely at his best as the sociopath who shows no remorse towards his actions, as the aforementioned moments above illustrate. But he's certainly been disappointing for a long time now and hasn't been delivering consistently good performance despite being featured prominently on television. Hopefully some thing will change in 2018.

#24 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:30 AM

I remain a big KO fan. My opinion on most of the fundamental stuff hasn't changed from my post about a year ago.  He has been part of some of the most compelling, long term story lines in the WWE since coming to the main roster. Even when they don't seem to have anything for him he still stands out as a personality to me.  The Shane stuff was good, the Vince segment was next level great to me, and reuniting with Zayn was brilliant. The fall out has been the most must-see thing on WWE tv since it happened too (imo). I basically put SD from Hulu on in the morning just for them. His ability to create moments and tell stories that work long term set him apart, especially in a WWE universe where they often just abandon things mid stream and cut and paste narratives together. 

As for his in-ring. I get it.  I don't dislike him as much as most, but I dont think he benefits from the over-saturation of wwe tv. He is also best when he can be an ultra-violent, malice and mean motherfucker.  That is why i think he has excelled in HIAC matches and other sort of blow off matches where the reigns are loosened.  Those are just fewer and further between. 

#25 JazeUSA

JazeUSA
  • Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:26 PM

When he first arrived into NXT, I was actually looking forward to his work. His debut match against CJ Parker - Lord rest his soul - was impressive, he was in good shape, and the visual of him bleeding hardway was a very good first impression.

With the Sami Zayn feud, he ended up looking like a monster, defeating his former best friend after referee stoppage. It was different, brutal, and made him look like a smart and brutal heel.

Then the Cena feud came along, and while the promos were nice, his aura started fading away, and after that program and his losses to Balor (in also underwhelming matches), he was pretty much dead.

His 2016, to me, has been the drizzling shits. Weak comedy skits with Jericho, weak matches with many different guys, and his Universal Title reign is being very, very bad. Not as bad as Rollins' reign of terror last year, but pretty damn bad.

However, I created this thread because it seemed some people still rated him very highly, and I wanted to know why exactly.

I have never liked him one bit at all ever, not in Canada, CZW, IWA/MS, PWG, ROH or any other indy before NXT & WWE, he has had a few stand out matches, however I credit those to the guys he was working with just as much if not more than I do him, no one can give me a 4+ star match against a mediocre opponent that he caries from start to finish. I think the guy is just a fat tub of goo & he is a pompous asshole in real life that thinks he is the know all end all of the wrestling business 

#26 KawadaSmile

KawadaSmile
  • Members
  • 1066 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

It's quite sad that this thread is from late-2016 and nothing has changed.

#27 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43797 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

Sami Zayn has upstaged him as a heel in a way that I think he's becoming the star of the team. I just can't figure out if that's intentional or not. KO probably needs a babyface turn, which shouldn't be too hard. He's an every-man, he loves his family, he's quick-witted, and he doesn't seem like someone who should have succeeded. 

#28 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 977 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:51 AM

I think it is intentional. My guess is that we are getting Owens v Zayn at Mania and Zayn is playing heel. To me Owens has has always played the middle ground (be he "heel" or "face"). While he is naturally a better heel, the "tweener" position is generally comes off better from the position of face (particularly in the wwe).  My feeling is that they are going to turn Owens - or more accurately have Zayn turn on Owens - and use the feud to elevate Zayn more securely into the main event.

Owens wont be hard to sell as a face, but he couldn't have come in that way.  Dude has a punch you in the mouth swagger and a chip on his shoulder. He just looks like the kind of guy you probably don't like all that much at first, but he weirdly grows on you because you eventually respect that he works hard and he honestly cares about his family, even if he can be kind of a dick about it. Slow burning his career to reflect that is exactly the right move (intentional or not). I think - despite the hate for him in some internet wrestling circles, that his wwe career has more or less followed that. Generally, the fans seem to like Owens and want him on their TV. He has to work harder and harder to get boos. Fans will be more than ready to errupt for pissed off face Owens going after slimy annoying heel Zayn (if they go that direction).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users