Pro Wrestling Only

Lucha Underground S3

El-P

Finally binge-watching some Lucha Underground. I guess this isn't the hot new thang anymore since there has been zero talk about it in these parts. Or maybe all happens on Facebook/Twitter now. Anyway, I don't care Meltz decreting it had jumped the shark and going nowhere, I'm glad to have Dario Cueto back on my TV, ridiculous spotfest and funky gimmick matches, with those B-movie, luchaxploitation vignettes ! Rey Mysterio vs Pentagon Dark was quite a main-event for a season debut too. And damn, La Catrina !!! Let's see if this season really is losing all the fun like it's been said from people following the spoilers.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still have it on DVR and will watch all the vignettes and most big matches, but it doesn't feel nearly as hot as the first couple seasons. Partly due to spreading itself much too thin as they've given a lot more time to a lot of bit characters, which on a weekly 60 minute program means a lot less time for the wrestlers you want to see more of. Also gone to the intergender well much too often. Thought it was a fun gimmick when used sparingly early on, but they've pushed it to the point that it now feels like a regular part of the show, and that's just not my thing. We're talking well beyond suspension of disbelief territory. But biggest problem here has definitely been dedicating too much TV time to opening act characters and programs.

Think LU is having a great third season so far, though I'm not wild about the Sexy Star angle. I'm all for intergender stuff when it makes sense, but shoe-horning it in just to be historic is not ideal. If a woman is going to be in a major role, make sure she's good enough to live up to it? I love that they develop a lot of characters though, and the vignettes and scenes they show are usually about 1 minute long each, so I wouldn't say it's "too much time". And if you're having trouble suspending your belief on a show with canonical time travel, I think you may be watching the wrong product.

I have very much enjoyed this season so far, minus the Sexy Star stuff. I get why they are doing it, but fuck, Sexy Star is terrible. If only Ivelisse could stay healthy, I wish they would push her as the dominant female they want so badly.

Speaking of dominant females, the Pentagon Jr vs Black Lotus Triad gauntlet match was hands down some of the most enjoyable intergender wrestling I have ever seen, and might be my favorite episode of the season.

So, Catrina and that hot police officer are actually a thousand years old thanks to some aztec medallion ? I totally there. A war is coming ? Shit, I want this to turn into pro-wrestling Games of Throne.

That Moth vs Killshot garbage match had the cool thematic visuals to it, which is a nice call-back to those WCW shows on the beach or in the graveyard (on the ramp I mean). Yeah, it was ridiculous, and Killshot I couldn't care less, but Moth has the creepiness down pat, right there with making the ever great Melissa Santos part of the game and looking scary with the blood face. The final spot I saw coming, and it was pretty grand in its ridiculousness (and then again, I really enjoy the fact that death spots are sold like death spots in LU) . This is what I want from Lucha Underground. Thus far the new seasons is totally delivering, but I'm only at episode two.

• 2 weeks later...

That six-person tag on E3 was a whole lot of ga-ga and fun. I forgot how awesome Fenix is. I know some people questionned the fact that Puma was leaving LU after S3, and how it was gonna affect the product, but the fact is Ricochet has never been the best worker or character on the show. Fenix was always ahead of him in every aspect. So, this was exactly what it needed to be, without enough bullshit to factor in Taya, who really grew on me with time.

That vignette with Mascarita Sagrada visiting Son of Havoc was glorious in its ridiculousness. Lucha Underground has got that GTA San Andreas quality to it, in some ways. Which makes me think that the Mack is one of my favourite guy on the roster, has been for a while, and his match with Matanza was quite good for what it was. Matanza sells more than he used to, but you can't go not-selling everything like in the beginning for ever. The Dario Spin the Wheel warms the old WCW fan in me.

Never really got into Texano (apart from the fact he looks exactly like his father), but I can take a best of 5 serie with Cage. Bomb throwing spotfests, why not.

Good episode.

• 2 weeks later...

E5. Ok, I'm not getting into this Cage vs Texano deal (too indieriffic), but Puma vs Matanza was quite the good main event, with the great Mil run-in at the end. Damn, Catrina's look this season...

Ivelisse & her new annoying boyfriend vs that creep Marty the Moth & Cheerleader Mariposa I can get into, especially Ivelisse slapping the fuck out of Marty, who's been consistently entertaining.

I can feel the Sexy Star stuff coming and I don't look forward to, although her match against Pentagon was way better than it had the right to.

I didn't notice the "I'm kind of a big deal" stuff in Dario's office. I want the same one.

E6 over-delivered.

Son of Havoc & Mascarita Sagrada vs Dr. Wagner Jr. & Famous B is exactly the kind of bullshit I like in LU if done right, and this was exactly it. Brenda does the best Dawn Marie airhead act too. I want more of this and less of Texano vs Cage spotfests.

I've never liked Sexy Star and the character much, but since they did that Pentagon match, I must admit they do the best job imaginable with her, as the Jack Evans match was again well worked beyond what I'd expect, with Star looking quite badass in the process. I've heard the worst things about this whole push to the title, but thus far, I must say I have nothing bad to say about it. They've gone completely into Kill Bill mode and why not. I like little details like Melissa Santos clapping for Star during the match. Involvement ! She's so great.

And then, although I usually don't care for triple threat matches to begin with, Rey Rey, Chavito and Pentagon Dark manage to have a good one. With a cool post-match that got tons of heat (yeah, heat, although I suspect maybe some of it was added in post-prod, but who knows) for Chavo. Enjoyed that episode a lot.

E8 and the Sexy Star stuff begins to look grim. A bad match with Johnny Mundo where both looked crappy and awkward. The finish was terrible. Really, Mundo bashing Sexy Star with brass knuckles, that was a very poor idea. Especially when earlier in the show, Ivelisse and creepy Marty Martinez had a solid match which never went into ridiculousness. But Marty is a good worker and Ivelisse is luch better than Star. So, not feeling where this is going.

Likewise, that Texano vs Cage best out of 5 match is gaining no interest from me. Total indierriff spotfest that I couldn't care less about thus far. First match was ok, but now it's completely vain.

Worst episode of the season. Although Vampiro getting inside the head of Puma (I guess to fuck him up in the end) is pretty interesting, as is the perspective of more matches against Mil (the previous week had a good one, although nowhere near that great final during S1).

I did enjoy Rey vs Chavo, with the added bonus of Chavo Sr. at ringside resulting in quite a funny Dusty finish / restart moment. They tried to push it as a truly big time match (loser leaves lucha) and it's a case of Striker & Vamp trying way too hard and being quite bad in the process (I know most think they are awful anyway, but I don't). People chanting "this is awesome" at every solid/good TV match is ridiculous too, but this is how it's become everywhere it seems. Lastly, I must say this match highlighted an annoying flaw of the WWE style of working with a very awkward 619 set-up by Chavo Sr. and the ever annoying "counter the third suplex in the Three Amigos" spot, which never makes any sense since it means two suplexes in a row are basically harmless. That being said, it was a good Smackdown circa-04 (or so) match. I guess Chavo is done as far as in-ring work, a la Kevin Sullivan in WCW.

E10 was everything that is great about LU. Although that ten person tag was clusterfucky as hell, but worst of all Ivelisse seemingly re-injured her ankle. That would suck so bad, she's my favourite female performer of the show and she sure deserves a break.

On the other hand, Famous B. vs Mascarita Sagrada was great bullshit mixing garbage brawling and comedy. They even got a flytox Arrogance perfume out of a box. Wonder if WWE still got ownership of that stuff. Super, ridiculous fun.

Grave Consequences II was different from the first one as this time Prince Puma was taking it to Mil Muertes in a much more agressive manner. No idea if this was as good, but all I know is that people would go apeshit if the same stuff was on a WWE PPV. Crazy how LU totally went under the radar for that third season. Terrific, insane brawl, with a climatic and eerie finish. So, is Ricochet done already with the promotion ?

Next, Aztec Warfare.

Well, Aztec Warfare III was awesome. Terrific from start to finish. Mostly perfectly booked, with the only disappointing part being the use of Drago, who basically did nothing of note and was eliminated quickly. Apart from that, it was a great match with a bit of everything for everyone, great spots, insane brawling, good comedy and a pace that always went faster and faster until it approached the final part. And although I never cared for Sexy Star, I was proven wrong (or more accurately, the bad vibes I heard from haters were proven unwarranted) as they did the best job imaginable with her winning the title (yeah, not exactly a spoiler). From her match to Pentagon to this, I must admit she was just a great underdog and made the whole thing work. Props to Mil also and to Rey, the two standouts of the match along Matanza. The surprises were quite terrific too, with the Black Lotus triads making a glorious debut and Angelico diving his way back into the game. Awesome match. MOTYC, for any year that is.

Well, Aztec Warfare III was awesome. Terrific from start to finish. Mostly perfectly booked, with the only disappointing part being the use of Drago, who basically did nothing of note and was eliminated quickly. Apart from that, it was a great match with a bit of everything for everyone, great spots, insane brawling, good comedy and a pace that always went faster and faster until it approached the final part. And although I never cared for Sexy Star, I was proven wrong (or more accurately, the bad vibes I heard from haters were proven unwarranted) as they did the best job imaginable with her winning the title (yeah, not exactly a spoiler). From her match to Pentagon to this, I must admit she was just a great underdog and made the whole thing work. Props to Mil also and to Rey, the two standouts of the match along Matanza. The surprises were quite terrific too, with the Black Lotus triads making a glorious debut and Angelico diving his way back into the game. Awesome match. MOTYC, for any year that is.

Agreed. Loved all of this and I enjoy Sexy Star, always thought the hate for her was a bit overblown.

Well, yes, it was awesome and one of the best episode of LU alltogether. And I had no idea who these japanese girls were to begin with, but I can only guess how hard I would have marked out to see them in that context if I followed Stardom. Loved the fact it escalated in competitiveness and violence. Pentagon was tremendous. Not once any of this looked contrived, ridiculous or exploitative. They really have turned the corner, this is straight Kill Bill shit. And despite the super stiff chop (hey, how one single chop is more efective than throwing a hundred), you can guess how safe he actually is with some of those kicks to the head that look sudden and brutal. His selling and bumping for the girls was terrific. Great worker and character. The three girls all looked amazing in selling the beating but also shined on offense. That Io Shirai girl must be insane. My jaw dropped like four times during this. The bumps on the chairs. That final dive. And the final with Black Lotus was pure badasserie (yeah, in "French").

I must also emphasize how great Melissa Santos is, as you can see her reacting during the matches, grabbing her mic when she feels it can be the end, actually clapping for the women and looking involved (because why wouldn't she ?), all of which without having the cameras actually being on her. It feels so organic and makes it all more legit, despite the fantasy world of LU. Speaking of which, the two main vignettes were awesome, with a heavy stylish horror feel to them.

I really hope Lucha Underground gets more seasons.

(and I see 8000 posts and I wonder what the hell am I doing with my life too)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

For the luge spot alone, Mack vs Mundo All Night Long gets 7 1/2 stars from me. Sexy Star, maracas playa, diving off the balcony adds up a quarter on its own. I'm so glad this bullshit is back, despite the ridiculous delay between the tapings and now. Hope we get a season 4 right on time next year. So yeah, this match was fantastic fun from the moment they really got on with the dog & pony show.

• 4 weeks later...

Mundo vs Mack, falls count anywhere, last falls of the match was just as terrific as the whole-show match. Death spot to end the match. Looked brutal, no cutesy shit kicking out of it.

The trios title changing hands with the reptiles gaining it thanks to Drago switching team mid-match. Anywhere but LU, that would bother me, but in LU, it's fine. Drago is under Cobra Moon's spell. That huge guy with the freakish roses tatoos is gonna go places probably.

Cueto Cup, with the winner getting a title shot ? Hum… You've done better than this Dario. Mundo vs Rey Rey, I can get behind though.

Puma vs Muertes was yet another terrific brawl. I have the feeling I'll never enjoy Ricochet more than I did in LU, because I don't see him do that kinda match in NJ nor in WWE. This is how you do people trying to kill each other, not by lumbering through a bunch of ringpost spots.

Terrific use of 44 mn watching pro-wrestling.

• 4 weeks later...

EP 22

Not sure I'm a fan of the whole Cueto Cup. A giant tournament is not the most exciting idea in the LU context. Aerostar vs Drago was on the sloppy side too. Mack vs that Alice in Wonderland guy was fun though.

On the other hand, that Mysterio vs Mundo hype video with some British sounding narrator was excellent.

And I guess Cage is officially the Gregor Clegane of Lucha Underground now.