• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

September 13 episode: "Cien"

Well, it's here. The 100th episode of LU. Some unbelievable highs and some pretty disappointing lows, but overall I've had more fun with this show than any other wrestling show I've ever seen.

First match is Worldwide Underground vs. Puma, Fenix, Cage, and Sexy Star in an atomicos match. Ricky Mandell was replaced by Marty the Moth as punishment for legally changing his name to "Ricky Mundo" without Johnny's permission. Obviously this match was meant to further the Sexy-Taya, Fenix-Marty, and Puma-Mundo feuds. Decent match and Melissa finally snapped at Marty, which led to the announcement of a tag match between her and Fenix vs. Marty and Mariposa. I know Melissa has some wrestling experience, so will be interesting to see how she does.

Cage left the match midway after Crane stole the gauntlet, leading to a very cool scene with him, Catrina, Cage, Mil, and Dario. Won't spoil anything, but let's just say it's pretty clear what match they'll be in at Ultima Lucha. Also, Taya vs. Sexy Star is announced as a Last Luchador Standing match. It's still really weird to watch Sexy after the crap she pulled at Triplemania.

This match and the segments involving them really reminded me how much the Worldwide Underground irritates me, and not in a good heel heat kind of way. And the weird thing is that they SHOULD work as a faction. Mundo is a great dickhead heel (even if he's an awful promo) and Jack and P.J. are a fun tag team (literally one of my favorite parts of season 2). And I know LU isn't going to win any Emmys for acting, but I find their backstage segments annoying. Maybe that's the point. Still, they were much better before Jack broke his jaw and could do most of the talking.

Pentagon Dark and El Dragon Azteca Jr. faced off for the first time for the final Aztec Medallion. Best match of the night and focused on Pentagon dominating Dragon with a variety of strikes before Dragon would mount his comebacks with aerial maneuvers. The match really seemed to focus on the evolution of Pentagon as a character, from the promising yet unfocused newcomer to the calculating, dominant fighter who's almost put all the pieces together.

Main event was Rey Mysterio vs. Matanza, the culmination of Rey being the first person to pin Matanza in LU. A pretty good match with Rey taking advantage early with his speed but Matanza retaking control and dominating pretty much the rest of the match. I'm not sure when Jeff Cobb started to let himself go, but it's clear he was in much better shape during filming of the last two seasons than he's been in the last year. So much more explosive and agile.

Only one episode left until Ultima Lucha Tres starts and with it being a 4 night event, I feel like there's still a lot that needs to be covered in just one week. So far we have:

Puma-Johnny

Marty-Fenix

Sexy-Taya

Possibly Ivelisse vs. Catrina and the Gift of the Gods match

We'll see how they round at the rest of the card.

#42 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9008 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

August 16 episode

Puma vs. Fenix: I remember reading a spoiler on this match and how it was supposed to be one of the best matches in LU history. Needless to say I was a tad bit disappointed when they wrestled a very good but not mind-blowing match. There were certainly some impressive spots and fun action (Fenix hitting a Nakamura knee to the back of Puma's head in particular), but it just seemed a bit slow to me. Maybe because I was expecting both guys to be their normally lightning-quick selves, I was a tad surprised that they worked a slightly slower pace. Fenix had the win here before Marty came out to creep on Melissa. Fenix took him out but that gave Puma enough time to recover and get the win. Very good if not great match. ***3/4

Pentagon vs. Mil Muertes: This was actually my favorite match of the night. They did a pre-match segment where Cage attacked Mil from behind with a barbell weight and dropped it on his back. Mil was visibly hurt going into the match and clutching his ribs, so Pentagon smartly worked over his midsection with kicks and punches. Mil regained control and worked him over a bit on the outside before Pentagon turned the tide again. The overall story was Mil making comebacks but not being able to sustain any momentum due to his injury, and Pentagon was eventually able to win with a double footstomp from the top rope. ***3/4. Only thing I hated was when Pentagon kicked Catrina in the face for trying to interfere and Striker said she deserved it for being fair game. I remember when commentary wasn't insufferable and disgusting. Good times those were.

I will say that it's unfortunate Pentagon-Mil was only treated as a one-off for their very first singles match considering the story they had last year. Had the makings of a great feud but was only referenced once to sort of tie up loose ends and is now done with. That being said, Cage-Mil is something I've been looking forward to for the longest time.

A terrific hour of LU with two very strong match with interesting parallels, the two original babyfaces and the two dark angels going at it against each others.

The final angle was ver good, although I'm not a fan of the old "security guys" as peons. But it's niceto have a promo that goes for four sentences before shit breaks out. You know in WWE this would have gone for 15 minutes going back and forth with one guy listening to the other while holding his mic before replying. Here Mundo talks shit, Rey jumps him and then... really reminded those old ECW entire roster brawls before big shows. Yeah, I was half-expecting the ECW chants to break out, that's how old I am. Dario Cueto looking the massacre with delight was priceless.

And now I really look forward Rey vs Mundo (the build has been extremely effective yet so simple, with only one big angle at the end), Pentagon vs Puma as a great final, Mil vs Cage and of course Marty vs Fénix. 

(I don't mind Catrina getting a boot in the face because Pentagon is a killer with no soul while she's an immortal witch. Plus the fact Mil got pinned just as she went down really works too, it's like losing the connection made him weaker. Catrina is like the greatest Paul Bearer ever.)

#43 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

I absolutely loved the big roster brawl from that episode, especially since basically everyone came out for a specific reason instead of just making up the numbers. WWU and Puma have their issue, and Sexy Star and Mack have their own beef with Mundo, Muertes has his issue with Cage but the Crane thing was still active also, Marty's attracted to violence but Fenix showed up to give him hell, the Rabbit Tribe just chilling, Fox trying to get a good vantage point only to be ambushed by Killshot, and on and on... great stuff, character and continuity is my favorite.

#44 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9008 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

I absolutely loved the big roster brawl from that episode, especially since basically everyone came out for a specific reason instead of just making up the numbers.

Ditto. That was the old ECW touch I was talking about, people showing up with a clear purpose, feuds cross-pathing and in the end, a giant brawl. Loved it.

#45 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

Except for Vinny beating up Joey. But that was still awesome. And seeing Dante and Killshot brawling makes me wish we saw more of that this season. I dunno, I just feel like they could have done more with that feud and Crane-Mil-Catrina. Also, not a whole lot on the relationship between Vamp and Puma since the Cueto Cup.

#46 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

Well, there's still time in the season. I'm hoping for a second WMD match with Fox and Killshot, which could really tear the house down, and Crane's still up in Mil's business. Seems like it'll be Cage/Mil/Crane at UL3 and then, assuming we get that 4th season (please), I can foresee a crazy Grave Consequences with Crane and Muertes. With Puma and Vamp, I'm wondering if Pentagon will win the GOTG title to put him and Puma in direct conflict... again, assuming 4th season, and realizing Ricochet's desire to depart may derail that.

But the LU storytellers have rarely let us down, which is arguably the most amazing thing about the promotion.

#47 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

August 16 episode

Puma vs. Fenix: I remember reading a spoiler on this match and how it was supposed to be one of the best matches in LU history. Needless to say I was a tad bit disappointed when they wrestled a very good but not mind-blowing match. There were certainly some impressive spots and fun action (Fenix hitting a Nakamura knee to the back of Puma's head in particular), but it just seemed a bit slow to me. Maybe because I was expecting both guys to be their normally lightning-quick selves, I was a tad surprised that they worked a slightly slower pace. Fenix had the win here before Marty came out to creep on Melissa. Fenix took him out but that gave Puma enough time to recover and get the win. Very good if not great match. ***3/4

Pentagon vs. Mil Muertes: This was actually my favorite match of the night. They did a pre-match segment where Cage attacked Mil from behind with a barbell weight and dropped it on his back. Mil was visibly hurt going into the match and clutching his ribs, so Pentagon smartly worked over his midsection with kicks and punches. Mil regained control and worked him over a bit on the outside before Pentagon turned the tide again. The overall story was Mil making comebacks but not being able to sustain any momentum due to his injury, and Pentagon was eventually able to win with a double footstomp from the top rope. ***3/4. Only thing I hated was when Pentagon kicked Catrina in the face for trying to interfere and Striker said she deserved it for being fair game. I remember when commentary wasn't insufferable and disgusting. Good times those were.

I will say that it's unfortunate Pentagon-Mil was only treated as a one-off for their very first singles match considering the story they had last year. Had the makings of a great feud but was only referenced once to sort of tie up loose ends and is now done with. That being said, Cage-Mil is something I've been looking forward to for the longest time.

A terrific hour of LU with two very strong match with interesting parallels, the two original babyfaces and the two dark angels going at it against each others.

The final angle was ver good, although I'm not a fan of the old "security guys" as peons. But it's niceto have a promo that goes for four sentences before shit breaks out. You know in WWE this would have gone for 15 minutes going back and forth with one guy listening to the other while holding his mic before replying. Here Mundo talks shit, Rey jumps him and then... really reminded those old ECW entire roster brawls before big shows. Yeah, I was half-expecting the ECW chants to break out, that's how old I am. Dario Cueto looking the massacre with delight was priceless.

And now I really look forward Rey vs Mundo (the build has been extremely effective yet so simple, with only one big angle at the end), Pentagon vs Puma as a great final, Mil vs Cage and of course Marty vs Fénix. 

(I don't mind Catrina getting a boot in the face because Pentagon is a killer with no soul while she's an immortal witch. Plus the fact Mil got pinned just as she went down really works too, it's like losing the connection made him weaker. Catrina is like the greatest Paul Bearer ever.)

Indeed, Mil and Catrina are my favorite acts second only to Pentagon. And the Paul Bearer comparison is absolutely true. My favorite part of that relationship was during Graver Consequences. Once Matanza put Catrina in the casket, there was no hope for Mil to win.

#48 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

Last episode of LU before Ultima Lucha, and here's what the card looks like:

Puma vs. Mundo (Career vs. Title)

Pentagon Dark vs. Son of Havoc (Ladder match for GOTG)

Taya vs. Sexy Star (Last Luchador Standing)

Ivelisse vs. Catrina (confirmed as still happening)

Dante Fox vs. Killshot (2 out of 3 Falls "Hell of War" match)

Fenix vs. Marty the Moth (Mask vs. Hair)

Matanza vs. El Dragon Azteca Jr. (Steel Cage)

Jeremiah Crane vs. Cage vs. Mil Muertes (for Infinity Gauntlet)

Famous B vs. Texano (if Texano loses, Famous B gets Texano's contract)

Lots to like and should be a good event, but I feel like they just raced to the finish here with some of these feuds and matches. Fox-Killshot is a really interesting story but I feel like we haven't gotten a whole lot of development in the last few months. Same with Matanza and Dragon. The match makes sense considering the street fight and Matanza brutalizing Mysterio, but it was just like "Oh yeah, they're having a cage match." I will say they've done a very good job with Fenix and Marty. Even if there are some aspects I haven't liked, it's super heated and has been given ample screen time. Just wish they had done the same for some of the other feuds.

No word yet on which matches will take place on what nights with the exception of Puma-Mundo.

#49 Blehschmidt

Blehschmidt
  • Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:43 AM

El Rey ran a commercial showing that Killshot/Fox will be this week.

#50 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:18 AM

Yeah, I also saw the Killshot promo on Youtube. 

First fall: First Blood

Second fall: No DQ (feels like they should flip those two, ha)

Third fall: Ambulance or stretcher (did not specify)

Should be really good although I am worried it just goes on forever like the WMD match did.

#51 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if they dedicated the whole episode to it, but honestly I'm ok with that.

I wonder if Rey will be back to do something. Seems too strange for him to be completely missing.

#52 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:47 AM

I feel like they will too. And if they structure it like Pentagon vs. the Triad, I think it might work.

I think Rey is done this season. Supposedly his daughter's quinceanera was around this time.

#53 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 10:29 AM

Damn, I'm all about wrestlers making time for family but that's like the Undertaker working No Way Out and skipping Wrestlemania.

#54 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

LU's Twitter announcing that Texano-Famous B is also this Wednesday.

#55 Mrzfn

Mrzfn
  • Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 02:27 PM

So the question for me is, who joins Famous B as his surprise partner? Because there's no way Dario billed this as a "handicap" match just as a pun on Famous B's injury. Dr Wagner has been nowhere in sight for ages so I'm guessing it's not him. Joey Ryan or Son of Madness are possible, though they don't seem to fit quite right. Could be someone new, not sure who though.

Also gotta figure something gets added for the trios titles. With 4 nights this year, there should be time for it to be added somewhere, though it seems strange that it's not been planned farther in advance.

#56 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

Hell of War was absolutely insane. Easily the most violent match LU has ever done, even surpassing Pentagon-Vampiro. There were some issues with selling, but overall an incredible spectacle match.

#57 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:53 PM

Next week has Catrina-Ivelisse and a Unique Opportunity battle royal. Most likely will include another match but not sure which one.

#58 Blehschmidt

Blehschmidt
  • Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:09 AM

If LU does come back for Season 4, Dante and Killshot pretty much have to be treated as top of the card talent after that performance.

#59 Boss Rock

Boss Rock
  • Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

Looks like Fenix-Marty will be the third match this week as they have a Marty promo on Youtube. So that leaves for the next two weeks:

Cage-Mil-Crane

Sexy-Taya

Dragon-Matanza

Pentagon-Havoc

Puma-Mundo

Trios match?

Looks like we may not get a two-hour finale unless the matches they choose are really long.

#60 El-P

El-P

NFLTG

• Members
  • 9008 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

August 23 episode:

The mask vs. mask match between Sexy Star and Veneno never really happened as Joey Ryan almost immediately interfered and exposed Veneno as Cortez Castro. Looks like Castro's cover is blown. And as much as I hate commentary, I got a laugh out of them mentioning Super Fly and saying "Remember him?"

Prince Puma vs. Pentagon Dark faced off in a pretty good match for the Cueto Cup. Some of the strikes were a bit off but still a rather fun, fast-paced affair. Destroyers galore and Puma ended up winning with the 630. He and Vamp mocked Pentagon with the cero miedo sign and the fans booed this pretty hard. It's still clear that Pentagon is their favorite and they were none too pleased that he fell short yet again.

Rey Mysterio vs. Johnny Mundo was the match of the night. Rather long as it clocked in at nearly 20 minutes, but still very good. Before the match, Johnny and his stupid agent (really dislike this character) warned Dario that if he Johnny loses, he'll jump to another promotion with the belt. While Rey is certainly past his prime, he's still a great high-flier and is very smooth with a lot of his moves. Rey took the advantage early with his speed and aerial maneuvers while Mundo regained control by utilizing his size and strength advantage. Ref bump led to Mundo trying to hit Rey with the belt but Dominick came in and tackled him before being chased off by security. Rey looked to have the match won but Dario interfered and began slapping Rey. Like, I get Dario interfered to protect the title, but trying to bully Rey just looked so stupid. Rey hit a 619 on Dario but the distraction caused Mundo to nail him with the belt and retain with End of the World. Crowd was torn over the finish.

Overall a pretty solid episode. The last two matches were good, especially the main event, but Dario interfering kinda hurt the finish (even if I enjoy a heel needing to cheat to win, which is something WWE never seems to do anymore).

Sometimes, the very first seconds of a match are enough to think this will be underwhelming. Pentagon & Puma getting straight into lame elbows exchange was just that. Kind of a soulless spot-show, it didn't grab my attention very much. We know these guys can do all these moves, but then again what ? That's my big beef with Ricochet, he's not been overly charismatic. Pentagon not playing heel and just going through spots is disappointing.

No problem calling the main event a great match though. Much more slower paced, Mundo actually doing heel work, building up the match with the story of Rey not being up to speed with the younger champion at times. I even liked the 619 teases (I made my peace with the spot at this point, although the final set up bump by Mundo showed again how actually awkward it has to be). I don't mind Cueto's run-in, as it's building to the next big match, and really Cueto is brillant in his role. Took a nice bump too.

(I can't stand the lawyer/agent character too BTW, totally needless, doesn't show much in term of charisma and flat out doesn't interest me at all, that's clearly a miss)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lucha underground

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users