Pro Wrestling Only

[2006-04-02-WWE-Wrestlemania XXII] Mick Foley vs Edge (Hardcore)

Superstar Sleeze

Mick Foley vs Edge - WrestleMania XXII Hardcore Match

This is a quintessential Mick Foley match where his pain is supposed to be our pleasure. It is the greatest hits of his career, the knees into the steel steps, slamming the back of his head on a metal surface. His offense was tight. He escalated the match well. Edge added nothing to this. In fact he actively detracted at times with his abysmal selling. I have no idea what the hell he was doing at the finish. He looked like he was suffering from hypothermia. I thought Lita was awesome in this. In fact, I thought the Lita/Foley interactions were the most compelling. Anytime, Foley looked like he was really going to decimate Edge, Lit was there with the save like the barbed wire baseball bat (taking that sick Cactus clothesline) or the barbed wire Mr. Socko (her lips were all ripped up). Foley's right hand when Edge was pouring Lighter fluid on him was great and Lawler marking out for the piledriver was fun. Thumbtacks are thumbtacks when there is no drama. In fact, with all the over the top violence, there was very little drama. It was just move from spot to spot. Escalation was there, but the fear and stakes were not.

After all the punishment Lita took, she finally got here revenge hitting Foley in the balls with a barbed wire baseball bat and then setting the table on fire before Edge speared Foley from the apron through the flaming table. They should have milked the spot more. But hey they should milked more of the spots. Lita was awesome in this. Good Foley nostalgia. Edge sucked but that's to be expected. Tight, did not over stay its welcomed. Felt rushed though. ***1/4

• 1 year later...

I didn't like the flaming table spot. It's a fine idea but took so long to set up in practice it took me out of the match. Foley was hanging around in front of that thing for ages, surely he knows the risks of tables by now.

But overall there's a lot of fun in this match. Mick's crazy bumping is always entertaining. Edge gave a much better 'hardcore' performance in the Flair ladder match a few months earlier than he does he, but I don't think he was ever actively bad. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2006-04-02-WWE-Wrestlemania XXII] Mick Foley vs Edge (Hardcore)
  • 1 year later...

Any time Foley has a big weapons match with a younger guy, he ends up kick starting their ascension to the main event. It happened with Triple H and Randy Orton and on this night, Edge would be taken seriously as a main eventer. They felt like they were going through the greatest hits of Mick Foley's hardcore spots and they upped the ante with the flaming table spot. Edge takes a nasty bump onto thumbtacks and brings some harrowing facials to the mix, Lita played her role as an interfering valet well and Foley continues to gross me out whenever he takes a steel stairs spot knees first. This was a compact hardcore match which blew me away the first time I saw it. 

★★★★