Pro Wrestling Only

WWE UK Championship Tournament

Jmare007

Yeah, I'd wager WWE was far more concerned with them getting major TV clearance than the actual wrestling content. Same as when they decided to go after ROH when they got on Destination America. If a backyard wrestling fed somehow got a TV deal, we'd probably see the First Annual Backyard Classic Special on the network .

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The preview show wasn't very good. Compare it to the one they did for the CWC. You don't really know anything about the talent involved, who you should root for, who to look out for, any of their backgrounds except for the guy Balor trained, what moves to look for, or really anything other than WWE is really proud of themselves for having "expanded" into an area they've been running shows in for 30 years.

Well Martin stone/Danny Burch got fucked over. Never mind that it wasn't an actual 3 count. Devlin wasn't very impressive but I guess if you are going to be push him with Balor then they have to do something with him. Hard to tell if he won because Burch was busted open or because of all the Balor talk

This show is also more proof that Michael Cole is very very good when he doesn't have to deal with the bullshit of Vince screaming in his ear and Corey Graves and Byron Saxton acting like petulant children in the backseat. Nigel has been good as well. I never had a problem with Nigel in commentary when motivated and not distracted

Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate, Wolfgang & Danny Burch all made a positive impression on me.

Devlin seems quite green/bad. Looked like they blew that finish to me which would explain Burch losing. Maybe that's why Dunne attacked his second round opponent? They can do an angle where the cheap shot blinded him in one eye, so he can't be medically cleared & Burch takes his spot? I don't know.

I'm hoping we get Bate/Dunne as that would probably be the best match from these guys - but I say that with my knowledge of each only being what I saw during the first round of this tournament today.

I can't believe Tyler Bate is only 19.

Really didn't like it, but I couldn't watch it or comment on it in full due to work: http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2017/01/wwe-uk-championship-tournament-results.htmlrodge

Wolfgang, Burch, Dunne and Bate were the stars of the show. I don't think any of those guys are good enough to carry a show though. A lot of those guys were really not good though personality or in-ring wise and were quite bland. Everything felt really rushed too which hurt things. Reddit loved it though which doesn't surprise me.

I'm really not sure if we saw one true submission hold worked during the whole show...

I didn't think there were any must-see matches, but most everything ranged from watchable to good. Burch vs. Devlin was probably my least favorite match, but Devlin's heel work and promo post-match were both very good. I'd say Bate vs. Tucker was my favorite, as it was most reminscent of the PROGRESS style, which I enjoy

They did a good job setting up building blocks for these characters if they are doing weekly TV. Really looking forward to tomorrow night's show.

I mean I like Dunne and Wolfgang, but are these guys really going to be able to carry a TV show? That's kind of asking a lot.

They are far from done. But tomorrow night's show should add another layer of development. An old school one hour show built around the cream of this tournament is something I would watch, and I'm sure would attract a good sized viewership. Especially if it is NXT-esque, out of Vince/Dunn/Stephanie's way.

The backstage stuff with Dunne has been really good as you can see how everyone working with the show is pissed off because he ruined the plans and stuff EXCEPT for Triple H who almost respect him for "making an big impact" as he puts it. Really the first time in all of his projects where Triple H has acting like well Triple H

I think Dunne coming off as a petulant teenager might be the wrong way to go. He seemed half confused for why he acted as he did backstepping from Regal and half completely indifferent. "Meh." Like the youngest guy in a gang that shoots the old bank guard in the robbery.

Very, very unimpressive show. It's amazing with the UK scene as hot as it is that it has WWE and WoS angling for weekly TV shows from the area, yet neither promotion can get the top names associated with the UK wrestling scene. I swear every match had at least one guy who they said had only been wrestling for a year or two. Way too many guys who were not at all ready for this kind of spotlight.

The attempts at character work were poor (this guy was a preme, this guy lost part of his ear and constantly touches, this guy has a mustache), and the ring work was about as bland and uninteresting as the WOS pilot. I liked the setting, couldn't understand any of the chants besides the Jesus and You're not Balor ones, Nigel and Cole were inoffensive. Bate/Tucker was the only stand out match of the show, and it wasn't anything special, but Bate is shockingly polished for being 19. He won me over by the end when I had written him off as a slightly bigger Jack Gallagher.

I think WWE made a mistake not putting their UK talent into this, since they weren't going to have any of the top indie guys from the area. Having someone beat Sheamus or Neville could make the whole thing seem way bigger and make a star out of whoever got the win. Dunne being compared directly to Finlay/Bryan, then not being particularly impressive, then getting into an angle with Regal/HHH is hard to take seriously when he still has acne and is a foot shorter than both. Certainly did nothing to make me watch the next rounds, or a weekly show with this group of talent.