Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-10-21-LLE] L.A. Park vs Caristico

GOTNW

Cage matches aren't exactly something I associate with lucha but it's something you'd figure LA Park would be great at, and sure enough he is. He totally outclassed Caristico here. LA Park's performance was phenomenal-the level of vioelnce he brough to the table was just something else, as was his character work. He dominated most of the match with long control segments and I am a fan of that classic "rudo beats the shit out of a tecnico for the first ten minutes" structure. Him toying with Caristico, playing with his mask and telling him to look up before instantly knocking him down is something that has to be seen. One advantage of the 2/3 falls structure is that allows there to be a climax when a big spot is done, and this being only one fall resulted in my least favourite spot in the match, which was Caristico's comeback happening immediately after Park Powerbombed him onto chairs. Park did manage to somewhat salvage that as just as Caristico's was firing up, grabbing chairs and all that he just punched him straight in the face and went back in the control. The other huge spot involved Park spearing Caristico into chairs, but that one also had him take damage while executing the move so he couldn't just take advantage of it straight away. Honestly if it were not for the cage dive Caristico wouldn't have done anything of note here, since what he did here was mostly react to Park with payback spots and classic tecnico offence and Caristico pretending to be Park and doing Armdrags is not nearly as cool as Park breaking a chair over Caristico's head. This had the grit, mask ripping and blood you'd want out of it, and a very interesting angle to it as well with Rey Escorpion interfering in the match and trying to cost LA Park the win. Honestly he brought more to the match than Caristico did-his punches are always a joy to watch and he carries himself like a badass. That led to an angle where Caristico refused Escorpion's help and started fighting him and when Park got up he handed the match to Caristico because he cared about punishing Escorpion more. Needed a stronger Caristico performance to be a truly great match but almost reached that level anyway and made me interested in catching up with whatever angles Elite's been running, a Park-Escorpion feud sounds amazing. ***3/4

• GSR changed the title to [2016-10-21-LLE] L.A. Park vs Caristico