Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV 12/26 - 01/01

KawadaSmile

Considering this is the traditional slow season and the second of two December shows after Survivor Series and before the Royal Rumble looked pretty unimportant, I'm not sure any real conclusions can be drawn about how cold the promotion is right now. If interest isn't increased by the build to Mania going forward and things continue to decline, then yes there are big problems

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KO has been booked pretty terribly as champ, but he's also completely shit the bed in the ring since being champ. It's hard to be excited for him because now you know you're going to get a shitty match with a bad finish. Meanwhile, AJ Styles has been the best wrestler in the world for 3 years in a row and the other show is built around that guy.

I think you could blame the idea that Seth/HHH HAS to happen. There was really no other reason for KO to win the title the way he did other than to build for a match that wouldn't happen for another 7 months. HHH not returning to TV to explain anything didn't help KO's reign feel like an afterthought from the beginning. No one seemed to be clamoring for the idea of the match before Seth got injured, and no one seems to be clamoring for it now, but here we are, and KO has had the title since August because.....Seth/HHH?

I assume Balor/Rollins would have feuded for a few months, then the HHH/Seth feud would have picked up closer to the Rumble.

I would love to lay the blame for the lack of interest at Kevin Owens feet because I feel his title reign has been very bad, not just in booking but his overall performance as a character and definitely in the ring but December is generally the worst month of the year for WWE PPVs is it not?

I mean it was a PPV a week before Christmas when people are busy doing other things plus spending their money on gifts so going to a high priced WWE event is probably not going to be a high priority. The weak card (and champion) didn't help but even if they'd done some amazing job promoting it & put together a great card I'm not sure it would have led to a huge increase in interest or tickets sold.

KO isn't setting the world on fire,but the booking isn't helping things when he's portrayed as someone Seth is just wasting his time on until the real end boss shows up.

But if he can't even dispatch the underboss, how is he going to look credible against the real end boss himself

According to a live report sent to PWTorch:

Lively family crowd, although not as lively as the crowd on Monday from Madison Square Garden. This is probably due to a lesser attendance, there were more sections in the upper bowl blocked off here than at The Garden for the Smackdown brand. The attendance was nothing close to the packed house that was in the same building for Summerslam weekend.

As a direct comparison - curious how the Raw house show in Brooklyn last night did. Smackdown sold out MSG on Monday.

MSG was a solid house, but from where I was sitting the 2 sections next to the entrance were far from sold out.

Oh, they don't sell the sections next to the entrance until the day of (and I don't believe they sell the whole section). Grabbing those tickets is actually a good deal - I got tickets in one of those sections for $26.

As a direct comparison - curious how the Raw house show in Brooklyn last night did. Smackdown sold out MSG on Monday.

MSG was a solid house, but from where I was sitting the 2 sections next to the entrance were far from sold out.

Oh, they don't sell the sections next to the entrance until the day of (and I don't believe they sell the whole section). Grabbing those tickets is actually a good deal - I got tickets in one of those sections for $26.

Interesting, that is good to know for the future.

NXT Osaka wasn't good, but DIY vs Tozawa/Tajiri sure was. The Nia/Asuka match was such a mess. A real shame because their match at the Takeover show was by far my match of the night on that show. It was just way too damn long. I doubt Nia has been in anything that long outside of the SS tag match. Best part of the show was ugly ass Takayama sitting in the front row looking as bored as could be except for when Asuka was out there.

Maybe it's just me, but I still think there's $ in Rousey in the WWE, especially if she's game for Steph or Charlotte or some other heel bringing up her most recent loss. I guess we'll have to see the numbers for the PPV, but as a non-MMA watcher, it did feel like this was the most mainstream/hyped show since Punks debut (and that one might've seemed even bigger to me cuz I'm a Clevelander).

Rousey/Steph would be ridiculous...but no more ridiculous than Shane/Taker or Shane/Angle. Plus, isn't Steph like undefeated? Charlotte would be better, but I see it as a less likely scenario considering how much the McMahons love to get their annual cosplay on in April.

Like Mike Tyson, I think, in due time, people will forget how Rousey lost and her legacy of dominating MMA for a time will be what holds up. To MMA and boxing aficianados, Tyson/Rousey might mean something different, but to the general public, 20+ plus years past his prime, Tyson stands for quick, ruthless knockouts and is a nostalgia celebrity, George Foreman is a grill, and Holyfield isnt even in commercials. Rousey might never achieve the longevity of Tyson, a larger than life personality with a wild past and comeback story, but she definitely has a post-MMA career if she makes good choices.

I don't know if they have time to start it up for WM 33 but I could definitely see it happening in 2018 at 34.

also there is a local ad advertising Shawn and Undertaker for the January 9 Raw in New Orleans. Shawn has a new Christian apologetic movie coming out so it's probably him promoting it. I could have sworn Taker said he was team blue for life just like a month ago but I guess it doesn't matter. Probably just to announce he's in the Rumble

Ultimately, her losing has less to do with her legacy and reputation than her reaction to losing. Every great has a point where either time catches up to them, or the game passes them by. She's still the most dominant force there has ever been in women's MMA, and almost singlehandedly put it on the map as something that can headline and sell out 30K seat arenas and get 1M PPV buys.

No one holds those last couple years of Ali's career against him. Tyson was definitely on the decline and came off of two embarrassing losses when he showed up on Raw, but it was still a huge deal because that's Mike fucking Tyson. Ronda is still Ronda. Brock came back into WWE on the heels of two pretty brutal loses where he got the ever loving shit kicked out of him. But he's still Brock and we saw how that went. Honda Housey is still $$$ in UFC, too. Should she have another fight, it will be hyped as a comeback redemption.