Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-07-10-NWA-Great American Bash '88] The Fantastics vs Midnight Express

Superstar Sleeze

NWA US Tag Team Champions Fantastics vs Midnight Express - NWA Great American Bash 88

Jim Cornette throws a ***** temper tantrum before being put in the straitjacket into the shark cage. Was this tailored? The sleeves are too long! The best he is a crackpot, he is an honest man! Pure hammy gold.

Step down from the Clash I and title change, but still a damn great match. I thought the shine while there were different spots was lacking in that super funness we usually get. Normal story of MX controlling with strikes, but Fantastics use their speed to thwart them. There was the cut spot where Lane ends up back dropping Eaton by accident and then we get the booty shake high five strut combo that is well Fantastic! The transition was solid with Eaton getting a blind tag and bulldogging Rogers. Lane was wicked here, great kicks and busting out the dance moves. The kick combo into the Robinson backbreaker got a huge pop and even I was marking out. Baltimore definitely loved them some Midnight Express, very smart move to turn them babyface because they were over like rover. We even got an ALABAMA JAM!!! Rogers' and Eaton's sell of this move was great really put over the impact of move as Eaton came out needing a tag. Fulton breaks up the pin. Eaton was just on fire in this match offensively even Tony was remarking how good Eaton is. There were some right hands that were just right on the money. People talk about Condrey being this ornery heel, but I think Lane is underrated in this respect. The kicks are pretty good, but he is also very suffocating and like to chokes and be nasty. ROCKET LAUNCHER EATS KNEES!!! Hot tag to Fulton! Short hot tag to Fulton who has a great right. Same transition to quash Fulton with Eaton kneeing him in the back into the arms of Lane on outside, but this time it is a bodyslam on concrete instead of throat first on railing. Rogers slams Eaton's head into metal post. Lane had a chain, but Rogers knocked it out of his hand, but Eaton recovered the fumble and clobbered Rogers for the win to a mixed reaction, but pretty big pop for heel MX. Fantastics get some heat back by being able to whip Corny with a belt before MX saves.

Missed something super special like that Fulton heat segment from the title switch and awesomeness of the Clash I energy and hatred to be a true classic, but this was an awesome Southern tag match. Fun MX spot at beginning, a really nice heat segment with lots of great offense and selling by Rogers. Liked the finish they take out Fulton with the bodyslam on concrete and then cheat to win with chain strong heel finish. I love the Midnight Express! ****1/4

• 1 year later...

This is another great match, in a series of them that year between the Fantastics and Express. Cornettes tantrum in the beginning is a sight to behold, even trying to bribe the referee from being put in the cage. The match is a great back and forth match, with the end coming when Eaton uses a chain on Rogers for the win. ****1/2

The Clash match might be the best of the series, with the title change on Worldwide coming in second, but I need to watch that again. Then this one.

• GSR changed the title to [1988-07-10-NWA-Great American Bash '88] The Fantastics vs Midnight Express
  • 2 years later...

I thought this was a big comedown from the April matches.  Solid shine, good heat and Eaton remains one of an all-time underrated worker.  But this didn't have the same energy or flow as the earlier matches and as a result it was a far cry from great.  Very much a good match but given what these four have done it still came across as a letdown.

***1/2