The awesomeness of Scott Norton

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 khawk20

khawk20
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2332 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:32 AM

He was so raw when he debuted in the AWA I honestly didn't know what he would do long-term as a wrestler. The 1989-90 AWA put a lot of people in a spotlight situation that they were not ready for. Norton was sooooo strong, they played up his arm wrestling background right out of the gate and it was pretty effective in making you notice him. And he handled his place on the card pretty well.

I did not expect him to continue to get  better and get to the place in wrestling he ended up getting to. He was sort of like Leon White that way, someone that had "something" going when they started in the business, but seemed more fad-ish than something that they could grow and develop and make a career out of.

#22 EricR

EricR
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 759 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 11:53 PM

I really loved his 3/19/16 NJPW match against Giant Bernard. He was clearly on his retirement tour (I don't think he worked 10 more matches with New Japan, and maybe no more singles matches), and he couldn't move nearly as well as he used to be able to, and had packed on some weight...but damn did he go out and burn it down. He takes a brutal bump off the apron into the guardrail, gets a big goose egg, really comes off as sympathetic despite still being a monster. 

I love matches where the old vet is being challenged by a "young" guy, and this had the added emotion of a former top gaijin being roughed up by the current top gaijin, and Norton's performance made it feel like a huge deal. 

#23 Sidebottom

Sidebottom
  • Members
  • 1119 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 07:05 AM

I used to wonder what Norton in early-mid 90's WWF would have looked like. I imagine fun matches with Shawn, Bret, Razor and the likes. 

#24 Karl

Karl
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

....I have a real soft spot for the Jurassic Powers......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users